• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Too high egt's?

Cop Candy

Hey Im in the process of keeping this 06 6speed quad cab dodge, But I didnt know what to high of a egt was and My buddy freaked out when I told him what it got up to the other day on normal conditons..

It has a afe intake and a edge juice controller. Its set on level one right now for mileage but It will get to 1100 with no load just going up a hill in 6th gear. I was told to down shift to raise the rpms but I thought it was better to have lower rpm. Any ideas I dont wanna melt this motor down.

where is the probe located? If it's in the manifold (pre turbo), Cummins says you can run these things at 1250 all day long. Most say 1300.. And with the newer common rails.. Some believe even higher due to the fact that they are supposed to handle higher cylinder temps because of emissions (1350 max though i'd say). You can go higher for a short sprint. I've hit over 1800 in mine a few times, 1600 was on a regular basis when I had large injectors and a single turbo. Others hit 2200+. But it takes a few seconds for all those parts to get heat soaked.

Downshifting to run lower temps is normal, but 1100 seems a bit much for unloaded. I'm not a fan of Edge... I prefer the Smarty.

I think it needs re programmed it might be on a default setting. The max egts were set at 2k the boost was 99. the tire size says 2790.0? I dont know what that means but does that have a effect? It has 35s on it..

WOW I am stock intake and exaust on a ford with DDP injectors and a programer and I can pull stevens at 75 and never see 1200

I would dump the juice

I think it needs re programmed it might be on a default setting. The max egts were set at 2k the boost was 99. the tire size says 2790.0? I dont know what that means but does that have a effect? It has 35s on it..

that is D D D efinetllly not goood:haha:

it was set up to be maxed out on everything, no safeties.. You can go through and change all of those parameters.. But it's still an Edge :redneck:. Don't worry about RPM's, you won't ever run enough to be concerned.. The only area you would want to worry is fuel mileage. You go over 2k for long traveling down the freeway, and mileage drops drastically.

im getting 16 in town under 2k rpms, also what should I change the tire size to on the programmer for now? I don't see how a 35= 2790.0?

im getting 16 in town under 2k rpms, also what should I change the tire size to on the programmer for now? I don't see how a 35= 2790.0?

I honestly have no clue how to change settings on those things.. I'm sure someone on here does, or they probably have instruction manuals on their website.

Edge=Junk sell it get rid of it throw it in the garabage, im a dealer for them and we have had way too many issues with them i wouldnt recommend one to anyone anymore

well if Sam sells them he should know alot about them.....
i have the edge juice platnium blah blah blah on my F250 i have not had any problems with it. i DD my truck from arlington to kirkland everyday my egts hardly ever go above 850 they seem to stay between 650 and 800... once in a blue moon in the summer when we had the 100+ degree days, truck loaded i hit 1000+ (egt) but only for a second or two.......

as for the tires it askes about stock tires size after makey size then gearing questions for the trans and axles... i think the number you are seeing is the total ratio or number the programmer configures.. if you havn't already looked it up online i have my edge manual in the door compartment in my truck i can look it up for you....

my buddy had a 2000s dodge with the bully dog programmer he would tell me his egts would run high all the time but he would just stomp the gas real quick to flush the exhaust... i don't say this is the proper way to do things that is just what he did....

another kid i know has a dodge with some **** done to it, he likes to use his DD for tractor pulls.... anyway he said his egts are 900s and up... to me it just sounds like a dodge things with high egt temps ......

i work on class 7 and 8 trucks not light duty pickups so i am not an expert

most dodge's run pyro pre turbo, fords and most chevs locate it post turbo.
generaly, 1100 pre =900 post, but its on a curve... not to mention exhaust flow etc changes it...

an 06 i belive is rated 1350 constant. most trucks'll do that stock esp at low rpm/boost. sweet spot is 1700-2100 rpm. if your not makeing much boost and egt starts to climb, its tough to get back ahead of the curve and cool back off.

3rd injection event on your truck is designed to relight just before the exhaust valve opens to try to reduce emission and raise temps so the cat will light off.

with that said, 1100 isnt abnormal when lugging a hill at low boost.

generaly, 1100 pre =900 post, but its on a curve... not to mention exhaust flow etc changes it...

an 06 i belive is rated 1350 constant. most trucks'll do that stock esp at low rpm/boost. sweet spot is 1700-2100 rpm. if your not makeing much boost and egt starts to climb, its tough to get back ahead of the curve and cool back off.

3rd injection event on your truck is designed to relight just before the exhaust valve opens to try to reduce emission and raise temps so the cat will light off.

really--99% of the chevs I see its pre turbo. I don't think I have seen one thats post turbo.

i dont think anything is wrong with 1100. when i tow im usually between 900-1150 cruising at 50+mph. i try to control hills at 1250 or less. just shift and get your RPM's up. when head was pulled piston/walls looked fine. Never cooked a turbo

On a side note, 600* is most efficient for mileage

really--99% of the chevs I see its pre turbo. I don't think I have seen one thats post turbo.

my Ford is pre turbo....... my egt prob is in the exhaust manifold about 2.5 inches out the block...and all the rigs i have sceen Ford, Chevy, and Dodge are about in the same spot

Download the manual for the edge. The tire size setting is just some random number. There is a chart in the book for the conversion. I would **** can it though. Also, the tire setting will not change anything but the speedo function on the attitude.

Ok thanks. And hopefully its obvious Im new to the diesel thing but my buddy has me all worried about blowing this motor up.... Ill try to apply as much knowledge as I can and get rid of the tuner soon.

too high of egt's will smoke your turbo first...at least that is what I have seen