• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tool sets

jeeppoor

Tired of moving tools from my tool box in the garage to the box on the trailer. So I am looking to buy a tool set to keep in the box on our trailer. Looking for a pretty complete socket set. you know 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4". This being Memorial day weekend I figured I could get a good deal. We have a Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's and Tractor Supply close to us.
What does everyone else carry on their trailer or rig?

Harbor Freight; then if lost or stolen not much invested. Plus if folks barrow them and don't return then it's less of loss.

https://m.harborfreight.com/301-pc-professional-mechanics-tool-set-69312.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided
This thing is awesome. Lifetime warranty, you break it just take the individual tool back and it's replaced free. Has all the odd little bits (torx,allen key drivers,eyeglass sized screwdrivers) and larger sockets.
8144da7374b7c5b26e4535aef47fd8e1.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

tnford88 said:
https://m.harborfreight.com/301-pc-professional-mechanics-tool-set-69312.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided
This thing is awesome. Lifetime warranty, you break it just take the individual tool back and it's replaced free. Has all the odd little bits (torx,allen key drivers,eyeglass sized screwdrivers) and larger sockets.
8144da7374b7c5b26e4535aef47fd8e1.jpg

They have a coupon good through the 31st on those too, tempting for a wheeling tool set.
http://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/89_ITEM_PROFESSIONAL_301_PIECE_MECHANIC_S_TOOL_KIT_1491266426.6678.JPG

Re:

I used a coupon and picked mine up. I find myself grabbing it out of my trail rig as my go to kit around the house because it has damn near everything. On the trail it's nice too because everything is organized and quick to see if you are missing a tool.(empty slot)

Re:

tnford88 said:
I used a coupon and picked mine up. I find myself grabbing it out of my trail rig as my go to kit around the house because it has damn near everything. On the trail it's nice too because everything is organized and quick to see if you are missing a tool.(empty slot)

Damn, that's a lot of **** for $160.

The quality in that kit is sub par to most of their tools, ratchets aren't as nice and some other stuff but hey it's cheap enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a kit about half that big from Lowes a few years ago, wasn't Kobalt brand, was cheaper than Kobalt, maybe Stanley? Can't remember, will have to look later. It was like $70. I know the ratchets are junk like ZJman said about the others. Other than that, everything else sockets, wrenches, driver bits, etc. have been great. Buy cheap socket/bit/wrench sets, and then buy some quality ratchets seperately.

clutchee said:
Harbor Freight; then if lost or stolen not much invested. Plus if folks barrow them and don't return then it's less of loss.

X2, as long as its just hand tools. Get you favorite name brand ratchet then use whatever's cheap, because what he^ said.

So it looks like Harbor Fright is hardline choice.
I never thought of Harbor Freight because I didn't think their socket would hold up. I thought they would crack as soon as you put any kind force to them.
I looked and I have a 20% off coupon. So I think I will head there and check them out.

Harbor Freight impact sockets are just as good as "name brand". They look and feel the same also.

jeeppoor said:
I never thought of Harbor Freight because I didn't think their socket would hold up. I thought they would crack as soon as you put any kind force to them.
I looked and I have a 20% off coupon. So I think I will head there and check them out.

I got a 25% off code if you want but only good for Monday I believe.

CODE : 88747946

Their hand tools are nice and the individual ratchets are pretty nice, 72 tooth ratcheting mechanism is nice in tight quarters and they got swivel head like snap on and a telescopic handle one is sweet. Just the kits have cheapo ratchets plus lifetime warranty too. Where ya taking ur crapsmen to exchange?????

TBItoy said:
Harbor Freight impact sockets are just as good as "name brand". They look and feel the same also.

There the sockets i use in my shop. I thank iv inly broke one. And i thank it took a BIG pice of pipe and a couple people pulling on it

Re: Re: Tool sets

jeeppoor said:
Hf sockets have done me well. Been using their impact and colorful chrome sockets for years with no failures

Actually had a 8mm hf socket that was breaking bolts loose that I broke many crapsmans on (ls rocker arm bolts)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

civicmindedex79 said:
I got a 25% off code if you want but only good for Monday I believe.

CODE : 88747946
I got a 25% off code yesterday in the mail. But like you said it is only good for Monday.
Me being cheep (and not having Tony Bs money) I am going to wait until Monday and go get our set.

I'm a little bit late on this but this is the toolkit I carry in my Jeep....plus another box for large tools.

Goin on 2 years now.... I noticed one of the ratchets yesterday had a rivet come loose but it's still working. Jus sometimes switches from loosen to tighten if you don't hold your thumb on the selector.
76d812c892ff10df882f3f1b3e9a207e.jpg

tonybolton said:
I'm a little bit late on this but this is the toolkit I carry in my Jeep....plus another box for large tools.

Goin on 2 years now.... I noticed one of the ratchets yesterday had a rivet come loose but it's still working. Jus sometimes switches from loosen to tighten if you don't hold your thumb on the selector.
76d812c892ff10df882f3f1b3e9a207e.jpg
I didn't think you own any tools. Seeing as you drive all the by passes and never brake.