• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tool Storage?

Maverick26

As iron sharpens iron...
Ok, this might turn into a pissing match but I would rather keep it to the facts and not bash any company or person that might own something from that company.

With that said, I am in the market for a tool box. I don't want to make payments or spend a load of money on the box its self so I naturally turned to harbor freight. I plan to go big so I like the look and layout of their US General 18 drawer 72" roller cab. They want $1400 to ship it to my house. I went to the store and played with the smaller version and it seems nice, stout, well built and has the standard 5" and 3" deep drawers. I then went and looked at Snap-on or what I like to call the industry standard or probably the best in the business. Snap-on online sells their Classic 96 Triple bank 18 drawer that looks almost identical. I would say USgeneral probably modeled the HF box after this one. Comparing the specs, I cant find much difference and even down to the weight is within 20lbs. This tells me the construction is almost the same. Snap-on wants $6025 for this beauty.

I really just want some feedback from other folks that may own other brands or the same boxes. Tell me what you like or dislike about them and if there are things the HF box is missing that I would want. I am really leaning to get the HF box since it fits my budget but I am open ears to other options if it truly is better. I realize everyone gets what they pay for. I am not making a living out of this box nor will it be moved around at all. I plan to build it in under a work bench or something like that. This is for home shop/personal use only.

I did the Harbor freight that is 56" wide and I am a weekend warrior. I haven't had any problems with mine for the 1.5 years I have had it. I don't roll mine around at all. I had some sheets of 1/2" plate that I cut a piece to go on top of it so I don't worry about denting the top, that did add about 175lbs. to it. I would do it again for $700 it was.

I have always liked craftsman. Middle of the line easy to get parts if needed. Great for the home shop. Carry a fully loaded one around in my service van with no issues.

I bought a couple of US General boxes for extra storage in on of our old service trucks and was surprised at how well it held up. I wouldn't compare them to either of my Snap-on boxes but at a fraction of the price I think they are suited for home use as long as your not moving them around a lot.

I've been wondering about the quality of these for shop storage. https://www.rbauction.com/2015-XKW-28D4-7-Ft-Heavy-Duty-Work-Bench-UNUSED?invId=4402264&id=ci&auction=CHEHALIS-WA-2015253

Every RB auction has a bunch of them. They're brand new and usually sell between $1000-$1700. They have a couple different configurations and colors.

I know that if I was flying around on my toolbox over the ocean I would want a quality American made one.

I think some of you guys are a little brain washed about quality and American made. Just cause its USA made don't make it better or worse... And using aircraft as a comparison to a tool box is a little crazy, trust me... I work at Boeing and it makes me not want to fly most days.

I have surfed CL for used boxes for over a month now, went and looked at a few. Most of them were smaller then 72" and most of them were beat to hell and wanted way more then $1400.

I pulled the trigger on the US General box today... shipping will be a while but I will update when it shows up.

Your missing what Im saying.

I was just surprised that someone that makes a decent wage in the AMERICAN mfging industry would send HIS money to a chinese MFGer.

The reason you have a good job is because they havent sent YOURS over to china yet.

Its the "Ill buy the cheapest **** I can find" attitude that promotes bizz landing off shores.

I wasnt advocating buying an overpriced SnapOn box. They are nice but not a value.

I would shop used myself and buy a nice American tax FREE used box of any MFG you like.

Keep YOUR money in the states, your neighbor (and your) jobs depend on it.

Have the chineese ever helped pay your wages? Why pay theirs?

Your missing what Im saying.

I was just surprised that someone that makes a decent wage in the AMERICAN mfging industry would send HIS money to a chinese MFGer.

The reason you have a good job is because they havent sent YOURS over to china yet.

Its the "Ill buy the cheapest **** I can find" attitude that promotes bizz landing off shores.

I wasnt advocating buying an overpriced SnapOn box. They are nice but not a value.

I would shop used myself and buy a nice American tax FREE used box of any MFG you like.

Keep YOUR money in the states, your neighbor (and your) jobs depend on it.

Have the chineese ever helped pay your wages? Why pay theirs?

Agreed...Look for a good used Matco unit---they are (or at least were) the best built box right here in the States back when I bought mine 10 yrs ago. They can be had for a decent deal if you look.:awesomework:

Agreed...Look for a good used Matco unit---they are (or at least were) the best built box right here in the States back when I bought mine 10 yrs ago. They can be had for a decent deal if you look.:awesomework:

I've been pretty darn happy with my used SnapOn boxes... :D

ive got a snap on box, i work out of it for a living.
that said, pull out the drawers, how do they slide? now put your body weight on the drawer does it still slide smooth? can you twist the drawer? ie: push one side in but not the other? how do the drawers latch? can you lock the drawers for transport?
id say for the average joe home box, as long as they slide nice with weight in them, it'll prob be fine. i personaly wouldnt get one with shalow drawers ie: need to be atleast 4" tall/deep drawers so your deep sockets can stand up while in a rack etc...

if you want a " tool truck " box cornwell makes some nice boxes for about half the snapon price.