• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Torque Converters

Bobbo3234

Any way to tell what the stall is for a torque converter....is it marked on it anywhere?

Also, is there a proper way to install a torque converter?

im not sure if it has a mark on it, as far as installing it, i just push it onto the tranny and spin the shaft around until i feel it go down snug onto the splines and then put the tranny up against the back of the motor out a few bolts in to line it up and slowly wiggle the two together and bolt on the fly wheel to the torque converter. but as far as identification i dunno:eeek:

Depends on the trans. I used to take mine to Pacific Converter in BC
and the tech guy knew pretty much what it was by just looking at it. (he had a test machine that would tell you how well it worked too)

make sure it clicks into the oil pump slots all the way before trying to bolt it up when you slide it in it will go almost all the way in and sit against the oil pump then turn it back and forth until it clunks in about another 1/4 or 1/2" then when attaching it to the engine be sure that there is no tension againnst the torque converter (still spins by hand) with the bellhousing firmly against the motor if it doesnt spin freely its not in all the way and youll trash the oil pump and then everything else

a chevy convertor should make three steps till its all the way in, there should be 3/4" from the face of the convertor mounting bolts and the face of the transmission when its all the way inn.

I need to ship a torque converter, any easy way to remove the fluid from it other than turning it upside down and waiting?

I need to ship a torque converter, any easy way to remove the fluid from it other than turning it upside down and waiting?

Drill a hole on the front side

Nope--let it sit and even so due to how the cutch sits and all the vanes inside the converter you will still have fluid in it...

Get a rubber end cap and put a hose clamp on it (I've shipped lots that way)

If you want to drain it, get a fluid pump for gallon jugs and set it inside near the bottom. You won't get all of it, but you'll get enough to cut shipping over a full one!