• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Torque wrenches

Toyotanut

What brand are you guys using? Any one brand better than another? And, how often do you send them out to get recalibrated, or do you even worry about that?

What is your application? There are many types, some are better than others, depending on what your using it for. Lug nuts, engine building, inch lbs or ft lbs, 3/8 or 1/2, 10 ft lbs or 250 ft lbs? Do you need newton meters?

Snapon makes great torque wrenches for whatever you need. The tool truck has a calibration gauge. I'd buy used and save some $$. Doesn't need to be snapon, but a good USA made one would be good. As long as you trust it, that's all that matters. I would skip the digital ones, seems like a waste of money, and who wants a wrench that takes batteries?

90% of what i use one for is lugnuts, and for that i like this one.

snap-on-1-2-drive-flex-head-torque-wrench-tqr250e-cf7be17cf971e5a85f38862615e7cf36.jpg

I use a set of SK "click" style ones for most things.

I use the needle style for checking preload and things I need to feel/see changes and spikes.

I have two. The 'good' one is a Mac, in half inch. Been recalibrated once. 'Click' style. Probably had it twenty years. The 'cheap' one is a Craftsman, with the bend style arm and is seldom used.

Nowadays, only use it for head bolts, and installing wheels on other peoples' cars.

I have Snap-On and CDI clickers, both work well. CDI is the OEM for Snappy torque wrenches and are usually 1/3-1/2 the cost.

I have 3/8 & 1/2" Snap-on click type that I've been using for 15yrs. I have a Proto 3/4" click, and a 3/8 Snap-on Torqometer for checking rolling resistance and such. Usually send them in every 5yrs for a recal.

I have been very happy with the CDI (Snap-On industrial brand) wrenches and they are 1/2 the price. Checked against other Snap-On wrenches and they are always spot on.