• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

torque converters

Not that simple. They can die altogether, seize up, lockup for no apparent reason (had that in a 999 auto) snap the input off and blow apart the front pump (had to use a torch to remove one from my '87 Dodge B150 van just so I could get to the front pump bolts!)

Most of time when they go bad, they never make it to the point of total failure. The pieces go through the transmission and destroy it first.

with the exception of Torque converter "Shudder" on lockup release.

To elaberate on what gary said--the fins in the converter can fatigue and come apart and when that happens---the trans typically is done from the metal going thru it..

Ok so when they start to go bad, can they lockup just enough to kill an engine at idle, but still work at a higher RPM than idle?

They are not meant to lockup at idle. It would kill the motor.

Some GM th125 (FWD) transmissions did that and would kill the motor, but it was not the converter at fault it was a faulty selenoid.

I had it happen with a 999 auto in an '83 AMC Eagle. As soon as the motor came off idle, it stalled out. I had to warm the motor up totally so the idle would drop enough to stick it in gear and not stall. As soon as I even looked at upping the throttle, it would stall unless I hammered it down. Then it ran fine till stopping time.