• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Rig Delimma ( Resolved )

onepieceatatime

I like turtles...
After 2 transmissions in the course of a college football season I need to replace my 2005 1/2 ton tow rig with a bigger Chevy. Everything I read about the 6.0 and the 8.1 pretty much says change the oil, put gas in them and they'll last 200k easily. 8.1's are hard to find and I'm kind of afraid that I'll be disappointed in a 6.0 because the Lq4 has less Hp than my L33 5.3 that pulled hard and got good mileage doing it ( 11mpg hauling a 1 ton jeep). It seems I read about more problems with Duramax's than than gas motors am I just imagining things or can you run them without having to put all kinds money in them? If so what should I look for and can I keep it under 20 grand? Looking to buy one truck to last me a long time. Honestly I don't know much about diesels so I've always shyed away from spending the money on one. And yes I am that hard headed that I'm not considering Fords or Dodges, I drive a semi for a living everyday and when I'm not at work I would rather be in something comfortable and I've never been in a Ford or Dodge that I liked.

Re: Tow Rig Delimma

The HD gas Chevys will get worse fuel mileage than a half ton because of the added weight of the vehicle.

If all you are doing is pulling a single car hauler with a one ton jeep on it, and you are ruining transmissions that quick, then that means you are getting some shitty built transmissions.

My first transmission lasted 150k miles and after it got torn down and he said what broke and how it wouldve broke I could actually recall the time I probably broke it. So I figured I was good to go this time and the guy that rebuilt it had a good reputation with some friends of mine so I let him do it. He gave me a 90 day guarantee and it went out at 109 day. Tranny was flawless up until it just flat out went out. I don't know if it was the way it was put together or maybe a just a defect in the planetary but either way I'm done with the 1/2 ton towing. Worked great for 5 years but I'm taking this as a sign to just go bigger. Being stranded is something that bugs the **** out of me and I'd hate to get a few hundred miles from home and go through the same **** and have to think about how I should have just got a bigger truck.

there are tons of people who pull with a half ton truck and don't have any problems.

sounds like you got screwed on the tranny rebuild

but either way, for 20 grand you should be able to get whatever kind of used gasser you want

I will say this: for 20 grand you can also get a nice diesel truck

TBItoy said:
The HD gas Chevys will get worse fuel mileage than a half ton because of the added weight of the vehicle.

If all you are doing is pulling a single car hauler with a one ton jeep on it, and you are ruining transmissions that quick, then that means you are getting some shitty built transmissions.

A big part of the worse fuel mileage is the lower gearing as well. You shouldn't really need more than a half ton pulling a small trailer 16-18 ft with a ton jeep on it. Buy a new transmission from GM and be done with it.

Re: Re: Re: Tow Rig Delimma

pholmann said:
A big part of the worse fuel mileage is the lower gearing as well. You shouldn't really need more than a half ton pulling a small trailer 16-18 ft with a ton jeep on it. Buy a new transmission from GM and be done with it.
Eventually I would like to get an enclosed trailer which is another reason I'd like to go bigger. I wish I would have bought a GM transmission but now I'm afraid to put all that money in the truck and then next thing I'll blow the rear out or something else the way my lucks been.
If I was to look for a Duramax in that price range what should I look for?

I had a 05 GMC HD with a 6 liter 4 Dr with 285 70 17 I love the truck done great pulled good bad gas mileage usually around 10 and a half to eleven around town and on the open road it might get 13. still wish I had the truck but that's just my opinion

Re:

There's an 05 on here for sale somewhere. I think it was 18,900?? It had like 180k miles but looked brand new inside and out. It was all original.

Re: Re: Re:

tyldyl12 said:
There's an 05 on here for sale somewhere. I think it was 18,900?? It had like 180k miles but looked brand new inside and out. It was all original.
I seen that thing and it's beautiful. Excuse my ignorance of diesels but should I be afraid of a truck with that many miles?

I was in the same boat a few years ago. Anti diesel for towing a small load and daily driver. I finally bought one and won't go back to a gas burner.
If you will do your research some diesels are bad and some good no matter the make. Since your only after a Chevy/gmc go with 06 classic body style or newer. I am a Chevy/gmc guy myself and had an 05. Sold it with 156,??? to get in a 6 speed Allison and 2010 GMC model. As miles go a diesel will last as long as you do the upkeep and don't tune the crap out of it. Yes people have problems with them but name a truck company that hasn't had some type of problem in the past. To me there is a reason GM still has the DMax and Alllison combo now for over 10 years unlike the other brands that have changed

If you don't wanna put money into one look for a pre emissions duramax so you don't have to worry about deleting it find a 06 or 07 duramax buddy has one and runs and pulls great with no problems and now is up to 180000 something thousand miles I have a 08 and it's been flawless so far it is my first one and I will never go back to a gas burner well worth the change over

Re:

How are the earlier Dmaxs? There's an 02 6 spd manual on Craigslist that the guy wants to trade for a truck just like mine. It's got a salvage title though so that's a little sketchy to me.

I pulled with a 2008 GMC Z71 half-ton for several years while it done good I was just always afraid I was gonna blow it up because it really hated my old jeep or my Camper when I pulled them with it. I now have a 2009 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax and I love it! Bought it with 45k miles it now has 115k and have had zero issues with it, it's not deleted and tuned either it's completely stock motor wise. Has 3" keys in front and 35s and it gets about 15-17 MPG with no load and it gets about 12-13 MPG pulling my Toyota with a 20 ft car hauler.

If you didn't change your torque convertor with the rebuild I think that could be the problem with the new trans.

the duramax is a great motor and nothing to shy away from. the LB7 had some injectors issues, but that's truly about it.

I had an lb7 for a couple years that was tuned and trans and was a great truck. traded that for an LBZ crewcab and this one is tuned and trans as well. absolutely love this truck and have had it for about 4 years now. will trade it for a newer version at some point, but not any time soon

this one has about 115k on it now. bought it with 29k

Damn dude, you got screwed on that rebuild. Jasper and dealer rebuilt units are pricey but carry a 3 year 100k mile warranty. A 90 day warranty is a ****ing joke, I'd take it back and give him an ear full if he won't help you out somehow. If he is smart, he'll fix it vs giving himself a bad name.

All that aside, I wish I had my 03 hd 6.0 gas burner ccsb truck back, yeah mileage wasn't all that great but neither is my 06 v6 1500 GMC.

I towed some with a half ton. I'd hate to no I had to go back
After towing with a 2500 no comparison. Imo

I tow my 18ft solid deck car trailer and my buggy with my 97 1/2 ton Suburban. It does ok but I've been looking for a 2500 Suburban with the 8.1. I get about 12mpg empty and 8-9mpg pulling my buggy. The 8.1 will get about the same mileage but will have more power/torque, better brakes, 14 bolt rear axle, better trans, etc.

I towed my old 1ton wrangler all over w an 03 Denali w a 6.0l. Best gasser I ever had, would get rid of my cclb 7.3 dually for it in a heart beat to this day. Got 16-17 daily, and 11 mpg pulling back and forth to harlan. I know humpy was still pulling 2rigs around w his at 260,000 miles. 6.0 is the way to go for a gasser in my opinion. They like to rev when pulling, but than ever bothered me (not near as much as the hemi I pulled w before it though).