• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Rig Delimma ( Resolved )

Re: Tow Rig Delimma

I am in this exact same position... just sold my 01 1/2 ton (extended cab) and looking at crew cabs. wanting a 2500 for towing but the most it'll get used for that will be once or twice a month, won't be a daily (got a shitbox for that). I have found I can get a 8-10 year old dmax with 150-180k or a 3 year old 1/2 ton with 30k on it for about the same money. I should add that when I sold my z71 it had 220000 miles on it and had towed my junk for 9 out of the 10 years I owned it (as much as I tow) and never gave me a problem, but when I sold it it needed tcase work and a rear end (buyer knew when he bought it). also have found there are about a million half tons out there compared to relatively few 2500s, so I feel your pain...

I think with a re-gear of 3.73-4.10(stock is 3.42)my lil 2wd 5.3 1500 x-cab would be all I'd ever need for towing.

It is my daily vehicle as well....hate driving big trucks in traffic. Miss the size of my lil 99 cherokee.

I had a 2003 F250 before this with the 5.4 and 4.10 gear. It hauled a near 6000+lb cherokee great! Granted it was 2wd and a regular cab with no options....

My truck is a 2004.5 Chevy 3500 and it has the LLY motor 150k miles. As of now no problems out of ordinary (replaced water pump) and very happy with my truck. Mine is still stock and hasn't been messed with. I just want to get about 400k miles out of it and couldn't care less if it will outrun another diesel truck doing it. :****:

Re: Re: Re: Tow Rig Delimma

civicmindedex79 said:
My truck is a 2004.5 Chevy 3500 and it has the LLY motor 150k miles. As of now no problems out of ordinary (replaced water pump) and very happy with my truck. Mine is still stock and hasn't been messed with. I just want to get about 400k miles out of it and couldn't care less if it will outrun another diesel truck doing it. :****:
Amen! I've been trying to read about these things on diesel forums and all they talk about is getting 500hp. I just wanna reliable truck that will pull better than a gas truck.

onepieceatatime said:
Amen! I've been trying to read about these things on diesel forums and all they talk about is getting 500hp. I just wanna reliable truck that will pull better than a gas truck.

I always wish mine was a single wheel when I have to daily drive it but as soon as you put a load on her back I am always reminded the duals are nice and stable.

My opinion all brands have their downsides. Chevy in my opinion is the interiors fall apart to me and they put the same looking interior in them since the 90's but still wouldn't want anything different unless we could talk Chevy into making a MEGA CAB :eek:

Not sure if anyone has looked into them and sure they will be extremely expensive new but almost all makes are making a 1/2 ton diesel truck now or in near future. I believe this thread says exactly why.

civicmindedex79 said:
I always wish mine was a single wheel when I have to daily drive it but as soon as you put a load on her back I am always reminded the duals are nice and stable.

My opinion all brands have their downsides. Chevy in my opinion is the interiors fall apart to me and they put the same looking interior in them since the 90's but still wouldn't want anything different unless we could talk Chevy into making a MEGA CAB :eek:

I actually prefer the "driver centric" interior of the 99ish-07 Chevys to pretty much any other truck, i like how everything is curved toward the driver

Re:

The more I read about diesels the more I think it's easier to make my 1/2 ton a reliable tow rig then it is a diesel. My mileage isn't too far off of what Dmax owners claim and my fuel is cheaper and more reliable. Gas motors have come a long way and diesels seem to be going backwards. I think they need to quit worrying about making pickup truck tow 30k lbs and just have it tow 20k reliably.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tow Rig Delimma

TBItoy said:
I actually prefer the "driver centric" interior of the 99ish-07 Chevys to pretty much any other truck, i like how everything is curved toward the driver
Big trucks are like this as well so I'm used to it and like it.

I'm like the only one on the internets that likes my 6.0 (for what it is) lol.

I'm skeered of a diesel! :****:

Or, if you have a little daily driver honda like I do, get a 3/4 or ton with the 8.1 I had diesel trucks that went to crap because I let them sit long periods of time. The best thing next to the lbz is the 8.1 imo. Only problem I've seen with these trucks with the Allison is the tranny cooler lines leak. Cold weather is hard on them it seems like.

Tow Rig Delimma

I had a 2000 silverado 2500 with a 6.0 it seemed weak to me, my 07 silverado 1500 I have now has the 5.3 and it seems to have a lot more power than the 6.0 had.
Both truck had the same amount of miles, but I haven't pulled anything with the 5.3 yet, it may dissapoint me.
The 5.3 get better mpg than the 6.0

Joe Eck

Re: Re: Re:

TBItoy said:
If you have a half ton you like, esp with the l33, do a 4l85e swap and a sf 9.5" 14 bolt and keep it.
I considered this when the transmission went out the first time and let the transmission guy talk me out of it. That and I don't want to work on my tow rig as much as that.
whiskeymakin said:
Or, if you have a little daily driver honda like I do, get a 3/4 or ton with the 8.1 I had diesel trucks that went to crap because I let them sit long periods of time. The best thing next to the lbz is the 8.1 imo. Only problem I've seen with these trucks with the Allison is the tranny cooler lines leak. Cold weather is hard on them it seems like.
I have a Geo Tracker that I drive the majority of the time but I do enjoy riding around in something nicer from time to time. I'd like to get an 8.1 but I can't find one in a truck I want and I'm impatient so I'll probably end up with a 6.0 put an exhaust on it maybe a tune and live with what I got. People used to tow a lot more with a lot less. At least with a 6.0 I won't have to be real afraid of overpowering the rest of the drivetrain and tearing **** up.

Re:

I have a 2011 2500hd, with the 6.0 and 6l90 Trans and I love it. Pulled with a 2005 Chevy 1/2 ton with the 5.3 before and it's a world of diffrence. The 2500 has plenty of power for pulling my 1 ton wrangler, and I'm gonna give it a go pulling 2 rigs this year. The only downside is the fuel mileage, I daily mine and average 13-14, and about 10 towing, but my dad has an 09 duramax and doesn't see much better milage with it

Re:

09zkrankin said:
I have a 2011 2500hd, with the 6.0 and 6l90 Trans and I love it. Pulled with a 2005 Chevy 1/2 ton with the 5.3 before and it's a world of diffrence. The 2500 has plenty of power for pulling my 1 ton wrangler, and I'm gonna give it a go pulling 2 rigs this year. The only downside is the fuel mileage, I daily mine and average 13-14, and about 10 towing, but my dad has an 09 duramax and doesn't see much better milage with it

Only way I'll upgrade my 2006 2500HD 6.0L is if I trade it in on a newer body style 07+ 6.0L or an 8.1L truck.

The good thing about the 07+ 6.0L trucks is they have the 6L80E like mentioned above, which is a 6 speed tranny vs. the older 4L80E being a 4 speed. This will allow the truck to stay in an optimal rpm range for more torque for towing....but the down side is that it will be shifting more. I've never drove one, but have read some didn't like the excessive shifting while towing. Me personally, I don't think it would bother me long as the tranny temp stayed cool.

30th6 said:
I had a 2000 silverado 2500 with a 6.0 it seemed weak to me, my 07 silverado 1500 I have now has the 5.3 and it seems to have a lot more power than the 6.0 had.
Both truck had the same amount of miles, but I haven't pulled anything with the 5.3 yet, it may dissapoint me.
The 5.3 get better mpg than the 6.0

Joe Eck

As for feeling weak, I'm not sure of the power differences between the 2000 model 6.0 truck and my 2006, but weak is all a matter of opinion when compared to something. Compared to an 8.1L or a Duramax, yes they are weak. When compared to a half ton 5.3L, mine is significantly stronger. My truck has 4:10 gears on 33" tires. I have a Diablosport Predator tuner on it and adjusted the shift points up just a fuzz over the shift points that came with the 87 octane tune, and with the shift points being a little higher and upped shift pressure also, sumbitch feels like a pretty stout truck to me over the 5.3L I've owned and rode in.

I pulled with an 02 4x4 GMC Yukon 5.3L before this truck, night and day difference. As much as a Duramax or 8.1? No......but a big improvement over a 5.3L.

Of course the OP has the 5.3L HO, so I'm not sure on hp and torque differences between that and an LQ4, but pulling with a 3/4 ton truck over a half ton, in terms of stability and brakes, will be a world of difference.

Plus tow mirrors are awesome :****: :flipoff1:

Re: Re:

TacomaJD said:
Only way I'll upgrade my 2006 2500HD 6.0L is if I trade it in on a newer body style 07+ 6.0L or an 8.1L truck.

The good thing about the 07+ 6.0L trucks is they have the 6L80E like mentioned above, which is a 6 speed tranny vs. the older 4L80E being a 4 speed. This will allow the truck to stay in an optimal rpm range for more torque for towing....but the down side is that it will be shifting more. I've never drove one, but have read some didn't like the excessive shifting while towing. Me personally, I don't think it would bother me long as the tranny temp stayed cool.

As for feeling weak, I'm not sure of the power differences between the 2000 model 6.0 truck and my 2006, but weak is all a matter of opinion when compared to something. Compared to an 8.1L or a Duramax, yes they are weak. When compared to a half ton 5.3L, mine is significantly stronger. My truck has 4:10 gears on 33" tires. I have a Diablosport Predator tuner on it and adjusted the shift points up just a fuzz over the shift points that came with the 87 octane tune, and with the shift points being a little higher and upped shift pressure also, sumbitch feels like a pretty stout truck to me over the 5.3L I've owned and rode in.

I pulled with an 02 4x4 GMC Yukon 5.3L before this truck, night and day difference. As much as a Duramax or 8.1? No......but a big improvement over a 5.3L.

Of course the OP has the 5.3L HO, so I'm not sure on hp and torque differences between that and an LQ4, but pulling with a 3/4 ton truck over a half ton, in terms of stability and brakes, will be a world of difference.

Plus tow mirrors are awesome :****: :flipoff1:
Mine doesn't seem to shift too much, tow haul calms it down alot, and the tap shift makes it nice if you are on a big pull or something and want to control it yourself

Re:

I also think I would get bored pulling hills in diesel. I get this little kid like smile when my truck drops a gear on a hill and just starts getting after it.

tonybolton said:
I think with a re-gear of 3.73-4.10(stock is 3.42)my lil 2wd 5.3 1500 x-cab would be all I'd ever need for towing.

It is my daily vehicle as well....hate driving big trucks in traffic. Miss the size of my lil 99 cherokee.

I had a 2003 F250 before this with the 5.4 and 4.10 gear. It hauled a near 6000+lb cherokee great! Granted it was 2wd and a regular cab with no options....
Do you try pulling with yours in overdrive? I have 3.42 also and found I get better mileage if I just put it in third and let it run. Guess it saves fuel by not trying to build itself back up to OD.

Re: Re:

09zkrankin said:
Mine doesn't seem to shift too much, tow haul calms it down alot, and the tap shift makes it nice if you are on a big pull or something and want to control it yourself

I imagine when it is financially a good idea for me to upgrade, I will be trading it in on a newer (used) one. I see no reason for me to ever need anything more than a 6.0L, unless it just totally shits out when trying to pull an enclosed when I'm able to buy one. Although, I may just have to stick with my open trailer for a while longer, I may be buying a small piece of land instead of an enclosed. If that is the case, I will for sure never need anything more than a 6.0L.

onepieceatatime said:
I also think I would get bored pulling hills in diesel. I get this little kid like smile when my truck drops a gear on a hill and just starts getting after it.

From what I've gathered, I think you'd be just fine with a 6.0L. Or an LBZ 06-07 classic Duramax. That'd be the year/model I'd get if I went diesel, I just can't bring myself to do it.