• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Rig Delimma ( Resolved )

Re: Re: Re: Tow Rig Delimma ( Resolved )

bgredjeep said:
Nice truck. Should tow well. Enjoy stopping for gas every 150ish miles.
Towing my jeep on a single car trailer itself my 1/2 ton would get 10-11 and I imagine this will be close to the same with that small of a load and they have the same size tanks so that's not big deal. I can never burn a full tank anyways without one of my friends needing to stop anyways.

bgredjeep said:
Nice truck. Should tow well. Enjoy stopping for gas every 150ish miles.

150ish is a bit extreme. That would be less than 7 mpg average on a 22 gallon tank. It's not gonna be great mileage, but nowhere near that bad.

Nice truck my grandpa has a 2004 2500 8.1 that i have borrowed a few times to haul my samurai and what not on my trailer...has pretty good power but gets 9 mpg. I have a 96 3500 cummins, and 96 f250 powerstroke they both get at least 12 mpg and i pass people pulling the hills of central indiana just cause i can :driving: pulling with a diesel is no comparison to any gas motor. My family farms for a living so i have diesel in my blood, without diesel engines nothing would get hauled

Expect 9.5 in town, maybe 14.5 on the highway....empty.

I get anywhere from 6-9 towing depending on load, mph and grade. Seen as low as 3mpg before.

04 avalanche, 8.1, 4.10s, 285's.

I usually stop around 250 miles for fuel, good time to walk around and check trailer tires and bearings.

Nice truck.

I would get a dedicated fuel credit card and save yourself .15/gallon for the first year....

Worse fuel mileage than 6.0 empty but far better fuel mileage towing in the hills.

Just picked up mine from the shop! 2006 2500 HD 6.0L w/ 48,000 and just replaced the transmission! I freaken hate this truck! Wish my wife's car was paid off and it would be gone and I'd have a diesel sitting in the drive way!

20140814_140207.jpg

BroncoMike95 said:
Just picked up mine from the shop! 2006 2500 HD 6.0L w/ 48,000 and just replaced the transmission! I freaken hate this truck! Wish my wife's car was paid off and it would be gone and I'd have a diesel sitting in the drive way!

20140814_140207.jpg

nice looking truck, but sorry to hear about the trans problems

love me sum diesel!!

OP, congrats on the new tow rig!!

1tfrot said:
nice looking truck, but sorry to hear about the trans problems

love me sum diesel!!

OP, congrats on the new tow rig!!

I'm curious to know what happened with your transmission. It's not very common for a 4L80E to go out with only 48k miles.

Ive checked my mileage twice so far. One day of driving mixed interstate, city, and country roads for about 100 miles I got 11mpg. Yesterday and today I ran a full tank of mostly interstate and maybe 40 miles of city driving and got 11.85mpg. Im pretty damn happy with that considering this isn't a DD and I've just been driving it around past couple days because what kid doesn't want to play with their new toys right after Christmas.

onepieceatatime said:
Ive checked my mileage twice so far. One day of driving mixed interstate, city, and country roads for about 100 miles I got 11mpg. Yesterday and today I ran a full tank of mostly interstate and maybe 40 miles of city driving and got 11.85mpg. Im pretty damn happy with that considering this isn't a DD and I've just been driving it around past couple days because what kid doesn't want to play with their new toys right after Christmas.
Haven't read this in a few, I gotta read back a few pages!!! 11 mpg with a diesel !?? I gotta see what u got. I'd burn my Fukin truck at 11 mpg! Oh, I'm serious btw.

kushKrawlin said:
Haven't read this in a few, I gotta read back a few pages!!! 11 mpg with a diesel !?? I gotta see what u got. I'd burn my Fukin truck at 11 mpg! Oh, I'm serious btw.

This is my 2nd 7.3 l 6 speed super duty that has got this. Slow as molasses, speed and milage don't seem to vary though no matter how much weight i put behind it.

You get 11 mpg with a 7.3 6 speed. Something damn sure isn't right with that man. Mine gets 18-20 empty. 15 loaded (16ft trailer with crawler)and 13 loaded heavy as **** (24ft gooseneck with skid steer or tractor). Have you checked the usual fail points? Exhaust back pressure tube, air filter, etc

FWIW my 13 GMC 2500 Duramax CCSB with 5" exhaust and H&S on tow gets right around 11 or so towing and about 15 unloaded. It's deleted and only has 35's and a leveling kit. :dunno:

Had a 6.4 before this one and it was about the same as far as MPG. Best truck I've had for mileage was a 02 LB7 dmax dually. It would get 20 or so empty and 15ish pulling a 24' enclosed trailer.

Seems the newer they are the worse the mileage is.

kboring said:
FWIW my 13 GMC 2500 Duramax CCSB with 5" exhaust and H&S on tow gets right around 11 or so towing and about 15 unloaded. It's deleted and only has 35's and a leveling kit. :dunno:

Had a 6.4 before this one and it was about the same as far as MPG. Best truck I've had for mileage was a 02 LB7 dmax dually. It would get 20 or so empty and 15ish pulling a 24' enclosed trailer.

Seems the newer they are the worse the mileage is.

the LB7 has always done well. my LBZ unloaded (with hot tune) gets around 16 as a DD and that's driving it like a sports car. it gets 9-10 with a mild tow tune pulling a 24' enclosed. the enclosed also has a +12" height

pholmann said:
You get 11 mpg with a 7.3 6 speed. Something damn sure isn't right with that man. Mine gets 18-20 empty. 15 loaded (16ft trailer with crawler)and 13 loaded heavy as **** (24ft gooseneck with skid steer or tractor). Have you checked the usual fail points? Exhaust back pressure tube, air filter, etc

Says 16- 20 on the milage gauge. If I figure it by hand, it gets 11-12. Same as my old srw f350 got. Old was a 99, the dually is a 2000. Under 60 it gets better. Over 60, the milage falls off a cliff.