• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow rig help

engine wise its simple the powerstroke is what you consider a light duty diesel and the cummins is considered a heavy duty diesel... the cummins is the same engine in case tractors, generators and other heavy equipment, the cummins 6.7l is also in the ford f-750 with a cat 7.2l option no powerstroke available, even ford knows it cant hold up to the cummins

if you were going to get a dodge i would get the '04 or newer, they have a warm-up feature that you use cruise control to increase engine rpm to 1500 to speed up warm up time, so you could start it rev it up and go inside and have a cup of coffee before your 5 min comute

Last edited:
if you were going to get a dodge i would get the '04 or newer, they have a warm-up feature that you use cruise control to increase engine rpm to 1500 to speed up warm up time, so you could start it rev it up and go inside and have a cup of coffee before your 5 min comute

My '03 does that....

engine wise its simple the powerstroke is what you consider a light duty diesel and the cummins is considered a heavy duty diesel... the cummins is the same engine in case tractors, generators and other heavy equipment, the cummins 6.7l is also in the ford f-750 with a cat 7.2l option no powerstroke available, even ford knows it cant hold up to the cummins
DT466e...ford's (int'l) answer to the cummins in the HD world...uses all the same electronics the PSD uses...not saying it's better, but it's there...

DT466e...ford's (int'l) answer to the cummins in the HD world...uses all the same electronics the PSD uses...not saying it's better, but it's there...

Dt466e is a turd monkey like the previous mechanical versions. The newest Navistar engines get it on though:awesomework:

Want a reliable good diesel these are pretty much it .....

93 and older cummins dodge
03.5 and older 7.3 ford
04.5-current gm dmax.

if gas you really cant go wrong with ford's 6.8 just watch out for airborne spark plugs their 5.4 has no buisness in anything larger than a 1/2 ton.

gm's 8.1 is damn stout too bad it was discontinued... their 6.0 is gutless.

i wouldnt touch a fullsize dodge newer than a 93 with a 10' pole... gas or diesel.. the cummins is a great engine, unfortunetly the rest of the truck is garbage.

Last edited:
Want a reliable good diesel these are pretty much it .....

93 and older cummins dodge
03.5 and older 7.3 ford
04.5-current gm dmax.

if gas you really cant go wrong with ford's 6.8 just watch out for airborne spark plugs their 5.4 has no buisness is anything larger than a 1/2 ton.

gm's 8.1 is damn stout too bad it was discontinued... their 6.0 is gutless.

dodge ... i wouldnt touch one newer than a 93 with a 10' pole... gas or diesel.
So what makes the 93 and older cummins more reliable then the 94-98 cummins?

So what makes the 93 and older cummins more reliable then the 94-98 cummins?

Here's what I got out of it...... The 93 and older is a real truck.....the 94-98 has a good engine pullin a rickshaw of a truck...:haha: :flipoff:

But yers is an exception............:cheer:......................Since it has no motor in it to pull it around :redneck:.... Unless you got it back on the road while I wasn't lookin...:eeek:

Last edited:
Here's what I got out of it...... The 93 and older is a real truck.....the 94-98 has a good engine pullin a rickshaw of a truck...:haha: :flipoff:

But yers is an exception............:cheer:......................Since it has no motor in it to pull it around :redneck:.... Unless you got it back on the road while I wasn't lookin...:eeek:

You'd be the first to know :kiss:.. When are you going to bring your quad over here so we can pull that seadoo around the back yard?

I live about 5 min from my work so yeah its a pretty short commute. I plan on having a trailer with trailer brakes to help with stoping. Ive been thinking about the emergency stops and the braking of a 1/2 ton but personally have no experiance with one besides the couple times I towed a little pop up trailer with my dads f150. Ive towed my truck with my buddys 01' power stoke and it felt like there was no trailer at all behind the truck which I really liked and of course the stopping power was nice.

My main thing about looking into a 1/2 ton is the cost of one compard to a diesel. Ive always had the older trucks(85' 3/4 chev and an 86' K5) and im getting tired of having to worry about them on longer drives and having to work on them which is the reason I want to get a newer truck.

Ideally it would be nice if the GF's dad wanted to sell his 00' power stroke next year since he has been looking into a newer one but ill have to wait and see what happens there.

Get a nice 3/4ton diesel truck and since your commute is so short go buy a beater for a couple hundred bucks. You don't have to look cool driving to work.:;