• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Rig question

TheViking said:
I don't tow every day but I have towed from Tn to Miss with my 05 F250 with a 5.4 did well not a beast but decent averaged 17 MPG too. Also pulled Signal Mtn for years with a loaded lawn trailer did well there not as stout as my friends diesels but didnt hold up traffic or have to flog it to pull The Gap..

If you can afford it go for a diesel go newer the 6.2 can be problem prone, also age issues in general with an older truck or newer ragged out truck too, I'm not to much on GM but the newer Duramax would be a better pick in my opinion.

5.4 avg 17MPG???? And towing :gtfo:

I plan on Towing my Samurai with my 1/2 ton Chevy 4x4 with the TBI 350 and 700R4. My trailer is only 1800 pounds and my Samurai is probably 3000 pounds at the most. With a brake controller I think I'll be fine until I can upgrade. I'll just keep it out of OD. I can't afford a diesel right now.

Just curious, does anyone own a new 1500 sierra denali that has the gas 6.2 and the 3/4 ton 6L80e tranny? I'm interested in one also and just curious on what you think of it

Got a friend here at work that just got rid of one. Said he liked it. Pulled good and strong just got below 10 miles per gallon doing it. Course I believe it gets bad mileage without a load. If thats not an issue go for it. Those are good trannys. There run in all the HMMWV`s here at the marine depot I work at and they take a good beating.

I have the 6.2 in my 06 silverado (brand new! Talk about custom. Lol) I hauled my dad's xj and my rZr to brimstone (hill country, tn) 5 or 6 times. No problems. Just be sure you have trailer break. Lmao. I love a duramax, but I like gas burners better and always have. Got past the "rolling coal" seen when I watch my first gas tank drop 1/4 of a tank when I gunned it. The 6.2 is a great motor. I have a different trans then the stock one too, so I can't speak for it. I have a cold air intake, black bear tune, and edge programmer, and if I hit it hard and go up the mountain everyday, even on 35s I'm pulling 18.5 miles, and my truck is HEAVY. And always loaded the bed with tools for the day. So it ain't bad for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold my 2006 LBZ Duramax in 2012 and got a 2011 1500 with the 6.2. Unloaded, the 6.2 is a great truck. Add a load and the transmission shows it's weaknesses. The shift points are all messed up and the trans cooler is undersized, I blew my 6l80e in August 2013 while pulling 6.5k around CO. I will be going back to a Duramax within the next year.

From Ga. To Hale Mtn. you get to hit Mount Eagle, damn if I would want to pull that one in a gas burner or a half ton

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk