• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow rig's 4L80E problem spinoff thread

TacomaJD

I LIKE CHEAP STUFF.....
Well, I'm beginning to think my tranny might be on it's way out the door mechanically, unlike the initial thought of it being something related to the computer. Here is my other thread about it randomly starting to shift weak from 1st to 2nd. Truck is a 2006 crew cab GMC 2500HD with 6.0L gasser and 4L80E tranny, 4x4, and about 120k miles.

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=31180.0

Never had a blip out of this truck until lately. Had it 3 years and have put about 25k miles on it in those 3 years. The thread above will explain how while questioning what would make my tranny start shifting weaker from 1st to 2nd than usual, I had a Throttle Actuator Control Module fail out of the blue causing it to go in limp mode constantly, enough to where it wasn't driveable. Got the TAC replaced and it's fine now, been driving the **** out of it.

Now it was mentioned that over time if you paw paw your truck, even after having a programmer on it, the computer will adjust shift pressure accordingly per driving style. When I was having problems with the TAC I reflashed the stock program back in it until it was fixed. Then after it was fixed and performed fine (fine meaning not going into limp mode) for a few days, I reinstalled the Diablosport tune. It was still shifting about the same weakness with the factory tune as it was prior with the Diablo tune, then after reinstalling the Diablo tune once again, I even upped the shift pressure and downshift points even more than before, and it STILL shifts weak into 2nd gear.

Main thing that worries me, is when it's still cold and usually when I get to the end of my road and start off from a stop sign, it will slip for just a moment after pressing gas and not move, then it will catch and go. It's not a long instance that it does this, but it's enough to be like what the hell?! That ain't supposed to do that!. It's only done that about 5 or 6 different times lately that I can remember over the past couple months, but after talking with a buddy of mine I work with today, I'm getting kinda worried about it.

He recently just traded around and got a deal in a 04 or so model 2500 Suburban 4x4 with the 8.1L gasser in it. It has like 219k miles on it and he said he just had to put a brand new tranny in it that cost him $2,300 with 100k mile warranty. The way he described his acting was exactly how mine is doing with the slipping from a dead stop when cold for just a moment, then going, except the way he talked, his was doing it for a much longer instance than mine....so I'm thinking mine is just in the early stages of progressing to where his was before he finally carried it to get worked on. He got a steal in the Suburban and still doesn't have much in it after dropping $2,300 on the new tranny, but I cannot afford to do that right now.

I know the worst thing I could do right now is change the fluid and filter, that would definitely assure it to be burnt up and useless way quicker than the rate it's going now. I checked the fluid about a month or two ago and it seemed full and to be of good color, but I didn't smell it to see if it smells burnt. What do you guys think my options are here? If it's definitive that the sumbitch is about burnt up, I may start looking around at dealers/car lots and try trading and getting out from under it while it still isn't slipping bad. Ugh, fawking pisses me off. Think these tranny's are rated at towing around 7k lbs or so, and that's about how much my truck and trailer weighs, but I've never heard/read about any problems with the tranny's at only 120k miles.

:dunno:

Take it to a reputable trans shop, could be something easy and cheap to fix. Trading probably gonna cost you more in the long run that fixing it.

Mine has the 4l60e in it, it's been rebuilt twice due to sun shells breaking, one was the stock one and one was the beast shell( it broke under normal driving no towing at all). Yours slipping is probably it not down shifting and taking off in a higher gear, that's what mine did. If its the shell you will know it when it breaks it will take our several gears. I will not rebuild another one. I will buy a new GM. It will save you in the long run.

Boy it picked some perfect timing to start fawking up. Between what I'm about to owe Angryfab and the landscape **** around my shop I'm in the middle of, I'm gonna be broke for a good while lol.

Bug-E-J is gonna check his cost on a remanufactured tranny with 5 year 100k mile warranty. If it goes to **** soon, maybe dad can run across a cheap used one through the body shop he works at or something.

FAWK FAWK FAWK...it's always something.

Re:

Do you think there's any way that the Diablo tune is actually bad on the tranny? I just have it on the 87 Octane tune, not the 93 octane Diablo tune. and have been running it for probably a year or so now. Any chance it could have been over heating the torque converter or something like that while towing? Half of the miles I've put on this truck (or more) have been towing my rig/trailer, and I tow in tow/haul mode, but never detuned while towing or anything other than tow/haul option. If I end up getting this fixed, I will likely install a tranny temp gauge so I can monitor it, at least for a peice of mind. Idk, I'm new to all the ins and outs of the stress towing puts on the tranny. I've read a lot of GM tech posts replied to other's threads on various truck forums and they all seem to think towing 10k lbs regularly should not affect a 4L80E at all in it's normal stock form, unless something else was a factor in it.

TacomaJD said:
Do you think there's any way that the Diablo tune is actually bad on the tranny? I just have it on the 87 Octane tune, not the 93 octane Diablo tune. and have been running it for probably a year or so now. Any chance it could have been over heating the torque converter or something like that while towing? Half of the miles I've put on this truck (or more) have been towing my rig/trailer, and I tow in tow/haul mode, but never detuned while towing or anything other than tow/haul option. If I end up getting this fixed, I will likely install a tranny temp gauge so I can monitor it, at least for a peice of mind. Idk, I'm new to all the ins and outs of the stress towing puts on the tranny. I've read a lot of GM tech posts replied to other's threads on various truck forums and they all seem to think towing 10k lbs regularly should not affect a 4L80E at all in it's normal stock form, unless something else was a factor in it.

I know those handheld tuners, like edge, are the quickest way to kill a 7.3 trans.

i have nothing to add other than spend the money on a good transmission with a warranty - DO NOT waste your time getting one from a wrecked truck that is SUPPOSSED to be good - i went through that several years ago, rebuilt the trans twice then swapped in two junkyard trans that failed within a month each. nothing worse than changing the trans multiple times

bad80cj said:
Jasper period :****:

Johnathan gonna hook me up with LKQ if I end up needing a new one. I don't the think the fluid smells burnt....of course I'm not super familiar with what it's supposed to smell like either. :dunno:

I'm no transmission pro but I had a buddy that smoked 4l60e's in his pick up truck all the time and I thought he said that the shop was able to plug it into the computer and tell if it was bad somehow. I think it had something to do with the relation between the input and output. Might be something to look into. Have you taken it to a transmission shop or talked to and transmission experts?

Going to talk with local chevy dealer, one my best friends dad is over the service dept there and knows his ****. I think they have some sort of realtime diagnostic deal they can plug up to it, drive it around, and monitor all the pressures/solenoids and tell if one is bad? Idk, that's on the agenda next week.

Elliott said:
Mine has the 4l60e in it, it's been rebuilt twice due to sun shells breaking, one was the stock one and one was the beast shell( it broke under normal driving no towing at all). Yours slipping is probably it not down shifting and taking off in a higher gear, that's what mine did. If its the shell you will know it when it breaks it will take our several gears. I will not rebuild another one. I will buy a new GM. It will save you in the long run.

This has really got me thinking. The main thing I've read about is the solenoid sticking in 2nd on these trannys. What you mentioned about it may not be downshifting really has me thinking that could possibly be what it's doing rather than slipping. If it was slipping, I think it would slip all the time, not 5 or 6 times in a few month's time while being driven regularly. The weak shifting from 1st to 2nd has to be an electronic problem too I'm guessing. Normal to moderate throttle, it shifts weak, but if you stomp the **** out of it and hold it til it changes, it will hit 2nd hard like it is supposed to, but almost seems like it hesitates for just a second before going into 2nd....but it shifts hard. Now if it was slipping, same theory - it would always slip right? ....not shift hard when wound tight.

I had a 2001 2500hd gasser with the 4l80e an the diablo tuner set on the highest setting for about 2 years of pure hell towing an driving never had an issue what so ever .... And 99% of the time I wouldn't even run 93 octane fuel I'd just get 87 an let the labor knock sing lol

I towed my jeep and four wheeler on a 18 foot trailer almost every weekend an I still do but with a 2009 2500 gasser now

Yeah, it's hard for me to believe that the tuner hurts it any, or that the tranny is slipping. Fingers crossed it's a shift solenoid or something similar.

Either way, I like starting threads like this and keeping it updated, to help add to the database when others are searching Google for the same sort of issue. Couldn't tell you how many threads I've read where the guy tries this and tries that and neither fixed it and the thread just stops....never saying what he finally ended up doing or what was wrong with it. Pisses me off.

tommy450r said:
I had a 2001 2500hd gasser with the 4l80e an the diablo tuner set on the highest setting for about 2 years of pure hell towing an driving never had an issue what so ever .... And 99% of the time I wouldn't even run 93 octane fuel I'd just get 87 an let the labor knock sing lol

I towed my jeep and four wheeler on a 18 foot trailer almost every weekend an I still do but with a 2009 2500 gasser now
That makes me feel better since I sold him the tuner :****:

I'm a tech at a GMC dealership. Text me your last 8 of your vin and I'll get you what my cost is on a new unit if you want. 205 401-7428

wannabe said:
I'm a tech at a GMC dealership. Text me your last 8 of your vin and I'll get you what my cost is on a new unit if you want. 205 401-7428

Alright, if I have to resort to full replacement, I may give you a call...but hopefully it doesn't come to that. Thanks!

Re:

Ha no dealer today, had to take off work to head back to the leg doc. Leg and truck is fawked up lol. Gonna try to get it checked out sometime next week.

Mine went out over time in my old 2500 Burb. It would get stuck in 3rd sometimes and then not downshift and not go into 4th-drove it all the way to Harlan and back like that! When it finally got bad enough that I decided to replace it, I discovered that there had been a recall on the torque converter for that year only ('00). Turns out it had already been done on mine and some other stuff on the trans. had been monkeyed with as well-the trans. had rtv all in it!!!

Anyway, replaced it with a GM 4l80e with 100k warranty. Then of course sold it about 2 years later for the Dodge 3500.

FYI, that 8.1 burb has a 4l85e-only slight differences from the 4l80e though, mostly larger bearings.