• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow rig's 4L80E problem spinoff thread

Forgot to reply to this. Did it start doing it every now and then and just get consistently worse with time?

I pulled my trailer down to the Angryfab Sunday evening, picked up my rig, and headed home (1 hour 15 minute drive one way), didn't have a bit of problems, other than the weaker 1-2nd gear shifting. That has stayed the same since I first noticed it, with Diablo tune and with factory tune.

I still plan to get by the dealer one day just to see what they can find with their diagnostic tools, but I will likely run it til something major happens....IF I don't decide to try trading it in on something.

Ive got a Diablosport on my half ton and it just seemed to make it shift faster and firmer which I thought would be better for the transmission.

TacomaJD said:
Forgot to reply to this. Did it start doing it every now and then and just get consistently worse with time?

I pulled my trailer down to the Angryfab Sunday evening, picked up my rig, and headed home (1 hour 15 minute drive one way), didn't have a bit of problems, other than the weaker 1-2nd gear shifting. That has stayed the same since I first noticed it, with Diablo tune and with factory tune.

I still plan to get by the dealer one day just to see what they can find with their diagnostic tools, but I will likely run it til something major happens....IF I don't decide to try trading it in on something.

Yeah, got worse over time. When it would get hung in 3rd if I cut the engine off and then re-cranked it would reset and go to working correctly. Over time it wouldn't reset, then started slipping so I replaced it before I got stranded in another state.

Mine would also occasionally do the weird slip thing you talked about from a start sometimes as well. Although I've owned other Chevy trucks that did the same thing with a 4l60e in a 1/2 ton.

dragr1 said:
Yeah, got worse over time. When it would get hung in 3rd if I cut the engine off and then re-cranked it would reset and go to working correctly. Over time it wouldn't reset, then started slipping so I replaced it before I got stranded in another state.

Mine would also occasionally do the weird slip thing you talked about from a start sometimes as well. Although I've owned other Chevy trucks that did the same thing with a 4l60e in a 1/2 ton.

Sounds like the hanging in gear and "slipping" from a dead start thing would be an electronic issue, not mechanical. Like replace solenoid or something and the dern thing work like it should. All this computer regulated junk pisses me off when troubleshooting. I could never make it as a mechanic, I don't have any patience. :****:

TacomaJD said:
Sounds like the hanging in gear and "slipping" from a dead start thing would be an electronic issue, not mechanical. Like replace solenoid or something and the dern thing work like it should. All this computer regulated junk pisses me off when troubleshooting. I could never make it as a mechanic, I don't have any patience. :****:
The computer junk makes it MUCH MUCH easier to diagnose. You just have to have the right books and scanner and know what your looking at. :****:

Ever since new battery, new TAC module, and reflashing the tune, no problems, damn thing has acted completely normal and is back to shifting firm from 1st to 2nd :wtflol: Have done nothing but drive the **** out of it....have not carried it to dealer or anything.

Re:

I'm not real sure, I've read low voltage could make things with the tranny act up. Just weird how it hasn't done it since. I mean it was periodical when it would act up before, hell it might do it next week lol. All I know is it hasn't done it at all since. I guess the firm shifting cam back since I've been towing a lot since my rig got done. Idk, gonna keep my fingers crossed it stays normal now.

TacomaJD said:
Couldn't tell you how many threads I've read where the guy tries this and tries that and neither fixed it and the thread just stops....never saying what he finally ended up doing or what was wrong with it. Pisses me off.

Right now somebody is reading this thread and thinking the same thing. :****:

Lol at least I've followed up on it with it seemingly functioning correctly now instead of just letting the thread fall off with no conclusion. molaugh