Tie downs suspended or unsuspended?

• Axles

Votes: 72 83.7%
  • Bumpers

Votes: 14 16.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Matter of fact they are also not for lifting when being towed!!

No **** :rolleyes:

I said lifting. My bad on calling them shock hoops. All I remember is they were in the location of the shocks and came through the hood. But for tie-ing the rig down they went to the bumper, never the suspension.

I went through Air Assault school in 95, so its been awhile for me too.

Two straps on each axle with the winchs sucked down a bit so the car doesn't bob

No **** :rolleyes:

I said lifting. My bad on calling them shock hoops. All I remember is they were in the location of the shocks and came through the hood. But for tie-ing the rig down they went to the bumper, never the suspension.

I went through Air Assault school in 95, so its been awhile for me too.

Why do you want to make everything an arguement?? I just corrected your calling them a shock hoop. And I agreed that they were tied down at the bumper. So get over yourself!! :fawkdancesmiley: :fawkdancesmiley: :rolleyes: :kissmybutt: :rolleyes: :kissmybutt: :rolleyes: :kissmybutt: :masturbanana[1]: :masturbanana[1]:

I will still stand by my decision to tie down at the axle not the frame/bumper/suspension for a Jeep/buggy/what ever if it has a solid axle. If it is IFS then I would do it different. Which a Hummer is.

Now give me a Hummer so I can feel better. :haha: :haha: :haha:

The question was. Does the Army tie-down by the axle or bumpers. They do not tie down the axles.

I like the stap vs chain question. I like straps but dont trust them. I trust chain but dont like it.

for my wheeler, I chain the rear end to the trailer (both corners). then I use ratchet straps for the front two corners to tighten it up nicely, then I have one chain long enough to hook both front corners seperatly. the chain in front is not super tight just as tight as I can hook it. it is only there in case the straps fail. then I tie the remaining leftover strap to the exocage with somebody hanging on that side of the truck to help with the body roll (also turn up the rs9000s). then do the other side the same way with someone hanging on the cage.

I prefer the straps cuz they keep things tight and smooth and I know I can rely on the chain for backup. Plus I cut my rear chain perfect so I can pull on then hook the rear chain then pull foward and shut it off and l slip the clutch a little so the rear is tight before I start the front.:cool:

but thats just me:beer:

The question was. Does the Army tie-down by the axle or bumpers. They do not tie down the axles.

Yep they do but a Army rig does NOT HAVE the suspension travel that most of our rigs do. And I think that is that POINT and why they tie down at the bumper and most of US choose to tie down at the axle.

how'd I miss this thread? That's an easy one.. the axles.. DUHHHHH :fawkdancesmiley:

It's not whether you think it's good enough.. hell if that's how it worked then nothing would ever fly out of a truck.. Someone thought it was secure back there..

When we would load our 5-tons and Hummers on the trains, they would all be tied down to the bumpers/frame. About 500' of chain and 47 binders on a 5-ton with a 50' electronics van on the back. :redneck:

I just carry 4 big rounds of wood. Put them under the frame of the Jeep. Hook the binders to the frame and suck it down on top of them. :redneck:

1986.1142013600.jpg

But let's be real. Those trucks have hardly any suspension articulation and railcars are generally not subject to as many bumps as are highway vehicles.

I'd say that for our purposes, tieing down the axles and then limiting suspension articulation would be the ideal solution.

4 straps to the axles 2 per axle. I like the winch idea and for long pulls I think I will start hooking it up.

But the 4 straps hold going down and back up my hill so I trust them :;

One question....How are you going to attach straps to an axle on a Hummer when they have independent suspension? Wouldnt you go to the A-arms which would suck the suspension down the same way as the bumper would?

This is getting to confusing. I think I am just going to buy a big cargo net and throw it over the Jeep and then tie the net down to the trailer. :cool:

One question....How are you going to attach straps to an axle on a Hummer when they have independent suspension? Wouldnt you go to the A-arms which would suck the suspension down the same way as the bumper would?

You dont. Hummers have tie-downs on the bumpers.

I had already made that point Sam. Joop just wants someone to argue with. That's way he needs to come give me a hummer so he will shut up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.