Tie downs suspended or unsuspended?

• Axles

Votes: 72 83.7%
  • Bumpers

Votes: 14 16.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So heres a new thought, how do tow truck drivers tie down cars on there flatbeds?

Saw 4 today all tied off to axles (except the one with a tiny car that i couldnt tell what it was tied too)

Pot meet kettle:stirpot:

So heres a new thought, how do tow truck drivers tie down cars on there flatbeds?

Saw 4 today all tied off to axles (except the one with a tiny car that i couldnt tell what it was tied too)

Pot meet kettle:stirpot:

BS.. Pics or I dont believe you. Ahh it doesn't matter I still wont believe you:flipoff: :haha:

Wanna know how I know this. New/used cars , independent suspension. That **** is week. What are they going to do, cinch it down and bend everything in there , then fix it??:haha: :haha: NO THEY USED THE TIE DOWN POINT:cool:

BS.. Pics or I dont believe you. Ahh it doesn't matter I still wont believe you:flipoff: :haha:

Wanna know how I know this. New/used cars , independent suspension. That **** is week. What are they going to do, cinch it down and bend everything in there , then fix it??:haha: :haha: NO THEY USED THE TIE DOWN POINT:cool:

I see 3-4 tow trucks a day at my work i will try and run out and snap you a photo

On small cars yes i do believe they use tie down points, but on vans and trucks they go to the axles

I see 3-4 tow trucks a day at my work i will try and run out and snap you a photo

On small cars yes i do believe they use tie down points, but on vans and trucks they go to the axles

How do they do the front?? Most trucks and vans are IFS up front. :cool:

to the fram kinda like i tie down my heep, so they have best of both worlds. Although if its solid axle front and rear and there is enough room (unlike my tiny axles) they will then tie off to the axle in front as well:awesomework:

I've seen a lot and lot more that use wheel straps on a regular basis.... so they tie to the axles. :flipoff:

I see car transported (multi-car haulers) use those little "T" hooks to attach to those cheesy "tie down points" on the frame. Works for cars, but if you watch them they are bouncing down the road. They aren't going anywhere, partly cause of the way they transporters are designed, but the cars on the front and the back are usually strapped a couple more times.

I also wouldn't go with what "tow truck drivers" or "car transporters" use as gospel or what it 'right'. Tow drivers typically seem to be 'quick tie it on and get out of there', and transporters have there ways that are quick, easy and 'safe enough'... but not necessarily 'correct'. Plus most new cars don't have the suspension travel that our wheeling rigs do... more bounce and snap.

I highly doubt your going to loose your load tieing the frame... but there is a greater chance of tie-down failure from the potential constants "snap and slack" of the truck bouncing that with a more secure axle mount.

I highly doubt your going to loose your load tieing the frame... but there is a greater chance of tie-down failure from the potential constants "snap and slack" of the truck bouncing that with a more secure axle mount.

How do you figure that? Proper use of the frame/bumper method consists of ratcheting it down to the bump stops, meaning no "snap and slack".
:awesomework:

Furthermore you lose any "snap and slack" of the suspended weight bouncing around up top.
:corn:

I compress the suspension on my truck to the bumpstops. In the front they are real close to being bottomed anyway so its simple there but on the back O have blocks that key into the axle then tie suspension is compressed till they are tight. I run 3/8" grade 70 chain with binders over the receiver hook on the back of the truck and another chain just like it through the bumper back down to the trailer. With the rating on that chain and binders I don't worry about it ever coming loose.

Although I have thought about binding directly to the wheels of my truck, I'll probably go that route when I build my hauler this winter. :)

BAWHAHAHAHA I knew I was right BAHWHAHAHABABABABABABABBAB:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Thanks WT :cheer: :cheer:

ALL you axle slinging fools best check your ****, because they were watching at EJS..:haha: :haha:

It appeared that he prefered the one axle strap and one compression of suspension strap:awesomework:

BAWHAHAHAHA I knew I was right BAHWHAHAHABABABABABABABBAB:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Thanks WT :cheer: :cheer:

ALL you axle slinging fools best check your ****, because they were watching at EJS..:haha: :haha:

Watch it again before you go off spouting that you were right dipshit. BOTH methods are right, not one is right the other is wrong. I compress the suspension to the bumpstops, some tie to the axles both are legal if you use a 4 corner system.

So as I see it.. they prefer to use the axles.. If you want to take the slop out of the suspension then you can suck it down a little so it doesn't flop all over the place.. or it is "Good enough" to just tie to the bumpers, assuming it isn't booty fab like so many out there have.. That is what the whole damn thread has said from the beginning Joop. I don't know what you're so ancy about. Your setup is GOOD ENOUGH. But not the better of the two methods.

The way he explained it in the video, I flat out don't agree. Without going all the way to the bump stops, tying to the frame is just stupid. Shock load shock load shock load.

I would not personally bottom the suspension because it adds extra stress to the springs. My **** is set up to get maximum flex at the expense of spring life, which is the way of things when you're running leaf springs. I'd rather let the springs do their job and not wear them out even more prematurely, and live with some lean while cornering.

And JOOP, wipe the spittle off the screen, kthxbye :flipoff:

The way he explained it in the video, I flat out don't agree. Without going all the way to the bump stops, tying to the frame is just stupid. Shock load shock load shock load.

I would not personally bottom the suspension because it adds extra stress to the springs. My **** is set up to get maximum flex at the expense of spring life, which is the way of things when you're running leaf springs. I'd rather let the springs do their job and not wear them out even more prematurely, and live with some lean while cornering.

And JOOP, wipe the spittle off the screen, kthxbye :flipoff:

well at first he said you can crank down on the suspension just enough to get some slop out of it.. On top of tying down the axles. He did say they were good enough to strap the whole vehicle too. But didn't say whether to take it down to the bumpstops or not.. (I don't think at least)

Status
Not open for further replies.