• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Towing Gears w/o OD.

1Bad67

Ideally I would like to find a set of 3.08 gears for my D44 & 14Bolt, but I can't find them. It looks like 3.54 is the highest I can find. Is that true?

Thanks,
Eric

3.23/3.21 would be acceptable. You'll have to excuse me (or flame me) but I'm new to 4x's is it normal to have slightly different ratios front & rear?
Thanks,
Eric

3.23/3.21 would be acceptable. You'll have to excuse me (or flame me) but I'm new to 4x's is it normal to have slightly different ratios front & rear?
Thanks,
Eric
thats close enough, it wont make any difference.:awesomework:

Thanks,
Eric

Your going to have that much difference in tire size

just get bigger tires, problem solved.. Worked for me. But then I got lower gearing cause the tall gearing SUCKS while towing. And yes I tow with a diesel. Tall gearing is not going to help you.

might not matter... local 4x store says highest I can get is 3.42 for the 14 bolt. The highest I can get for the D44 is 3.54... I gave up before we found the highest matching gearset. I think your right Jeff... bigger tires.
Thanks all.

just get bigger tires, problem solved.. Worked for me. But then I got lower gearing cause the tall gearing SUCKS while towing. And yes I tow with a diesel. Tall gearing is not going to help you.

So Jeff, what gears, tires size and RPM at 75 MPH are you runnin? I have 3.54's and 33's turn about 2400 at 75 which is good but am wonderin if I had 3.73's or 4.10's if I could keep it in OD more? but I am concerned about runnin the engine up to 2800 for long periods?

Friends of mine have newer CTD's and they all have 3.73's and stock 265's or 31's and can run OD on steeper grades than me...I like the lower RPM though?

Anyone else feel free to ad input

Last edited:
OK after reading these I realized I'm a retard, I turn 1800-1900 at 75 with mine, and am curious about turning up to 2500 all day, obviously Brad, since yours has what 265's on it your RPM are higher and you have no problem with that?

When I pull a steep grade of 6% or more I kick it out of OD and I turn right at 2500 at 65 MPH and usually still have some pedal left. EGT's stay under 1100 but what if that was up to 2800?

I started to worry less about RPM and more how the truck acted. It seemed that towing down the freeway with 3.55's and 35's was great. But it'd drop me down on the hills because of the heat. Didn't matter if I dropped it to 4th and ran at 2500. Still had heat problems. After the 4.10's those problems were taken down a couple notches. And even moreso when I added the towing twins.

In my opinion.. 3.54's with 33's. 3.73's with 35's and 4.10's with 37's.. Doing freeway speeds (70-75) i'm over that good mileage area just barely.

OK after reading these I realized I'm a retard, I turn 1800-1900 at 75 with mine, and am curious about turning up to 2500 all day

Whew, that makes way more sense than your first numbers! I was plumb cornfusald :haha:

I turn 24-2500 all day here at 75. 4.10s and stock 31s ish. When I was towing in WA I'd hardly ever kick out of OD and when I did was usually associated with passing people on the passes.

Of course my tranny with the high cap pan and torque lock never seems to reach "operating temp" even when towing :eeek:

*edit* I do suck the fuel down at that RPM though :booo:

OK after reading these I realized I'm a retard, I turn 1800-1900 at 75 with mine, and am curious about turning up to 2500 all day, obviously Brad, since yours has what 265's on it your RPM are higher and you have no problem with that?

When I pull a steep grade of 6% or more I kick it out of OD and I turn right at 2500 at 65 MPH and usually still have some pedal left. EGT's stay under 1100 but what if that was up to 2800?

Mine never gets that high in the RPM range while towing...only when screwing around :redneck:

When my truck is turning about 2600rpm I'm doing over 90mph...

I usually try to keep min ebetween 1500 and 2500 all the time, occasionally screwin around or while passing on the back from CO i was up to 3K for a second. I imagine i would be well over 100 at 2600 rpm in OD?

I usually try to keep min ebetween 1500 and 2500 all the time, occasionally screwin around or while passing on the back from CO i was up to 3K for a second. I imagine i would be well over 100 at 2600 rpm in OD?

you can run 4500 all day long :redneck: . I've only had mine to 3700 though. Don't have enough fuel to carry me further.. Going over 3k is pretty much an every day thing though for my truck.

Latest posts