• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Towing "snafoo's"

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
Well there are threads of wheeling snafoo's--lets hear your when towing to wheel snafoo's.

My first was like 7 years ago heading back from tonga ridge on a hangover run. As you head west on highway 2 just past zeeks (east of goldbar) there is railroad overpass. Well I got kinda close and there are raised edges(like a sidewalk/curb) at the overpass. Well I clipped it and blew both passenger tires(bent the wheels) and bent both axles.So we unloaded the rig and replace one tire. Well only thing we could do was have somebody drive my rig down highway 2 from there to my place with me following.

So on friday heading to tonga on the narrow windy road off highway 2 thats when I had my second oops. Doing about 10mph I make the sharp left turn to the single lane bridge and the truck slides/goes straight. Tried pumping the brakes--didn't slow me down. All this time I was heading for the drop off into the river. So all I could do was dynomite the brakes and hold on. It finally stopped with the front tires on the downward slope into the river. I looked at rookie and "oh ****". I was able to put it into 4wd and finally back the whole thing up.

I know others have stories :awesomework:

Well there are threads of wheeling snafoo's--lets hear your when towing to wheel snafoo's.

My first was like 7 years ago heading back from tonga ridge on a hangover run. As you head west on highway 2 just past zeeks (east of goldbar) there is railroad overpass. Well I got kinda close and there are raised edges(like a sidewalk/curb) at the overpass. Well I clipped it and blew both passenger tires(bent the wheels) and bent both axles.So we unloaded the rig and replace one tire. Well only thing we could do was have somebody drive my rig down highway 2 from there to my place with me following.

So on friday heading to tonga on the narrow windy road off highway 2 thats when I had my second oops. Doing about 10mph I make the sharp left turn to the single lane bridge and the truck slides/goes straight. Tried pumping the brakes--didn't slow me down. All this time I was heading for the drop off into the river. So all I could do was dynomite the brakes and hold on. It finally stopped with the front tires on the downward slope into the river. I looked at rookie and "oh ****". I was able to put it into 4wd and finally back the whole thing up.

Are you calling Ann out?:corn:

I have a tilt trailer and forgot to latch it once, headed up a hill on Meridian and the trailer tilted back shooting sparks everywhere, had to stop and latch it :redneck:

Well mine isn't towing to go wheeling, but it's towing my buggy that I am building home. I drove 6 hours south east to pick up the F-Toy and got her all strapped down and headed home. I started to climb White Pass on my way back, a car tried passing me, or so I thought, so I punched it and was making fun of the car because it couldn't pass a loaded down diesel. Well I looked back and saw my straps hanging off the trailer, and the buggy rolling backwards. I turned to my buddy(Traildemon) and asked if he was seeing the same thing I was. We stopped in the middle of the road heading up and tied it down again. Needless to say I felt like a jackass, when I realized that car was just trying to save my ass.

Heres my bad one.

The first one, back in 97, 18 years old and never towed any thing before. Borrow a trailer from my uncle too go pick up a 72 Lincoln Continental in Sequim. The trailer has surge brakes and was built specifically to haul CJ5 so it is short. Triler is unstable and shoves my truck all over the road if I get above 50 so I take it slow. Coming down 101 towards Hoodsport and the wind blast off a semi heading the other direction sets the sway in motion. I go back and forth from looking at the ditch on the right and Hood Canal on the left with the brakes doing nothing for me. Made the decision to stand on the throttle put it in the ditch instead of the canal or oncoming traffic. truck goes in and i stay on it to use the momentum to get it to come out of the ditch and the truck pulls right out bt end up dragging the trailer through the ditch till it hit a culvert popping it out of the ditch and blowing a tire. After getting it all stopped and sitting in a turn out some one pulls up and tells me that when it hit the culvert that the back of the trailer was about 6 ft in the air.

Some how through all this the Lincoln stayed tight to the trailer and other than the blown tire and scraped off paint the trailer had do damage.

I had one about 1996. I was returning a U-haul with a car trailer, which had my truck on it at the time, to the Everett U-haul place on Evergreen Way. We;l, I had forgotten to lock down the hitch when I reconnected it at the Chevron on 128th. Towed it all that way. When I went to back my truck off the trailer, well, the back when down, and the hitch end went up!

Oops. It slammed back down onto the ball without any issue. Just noise...

Sure am glad I didn't do that, tow it, for much further.

Whats funny is that I had disconnected and reconnected it at least two times before that, but I never took the truck off the trailer until then.

When Peanut moved over here I borrowed a beat to all hell trailer from my friend Shawn (needsmorebeer on here) to haul her little s10 and all her crap back over the mountains. We were headed out of crackima on 82 and just as we came around the first corner to shoot straight up the hill the trailer popped off the ball... :eek: it was jerking side to side on the safety chains so I let off and let the trailer slow us down and pulled off the road. The jack wasn't up all the way and the handle slid under the bumper and wedged itself in there. It was a whole lot of fun to get out but once it was free I realized my folly... Shawn's trailer is a 2 5/16 coupler and it was on a 2" ball.

The damned trailer stayed on the ball over many sets of railroad tracks (started in Prosser) and the bumpy assed freeways until I hit a smooth spot and started accelerating. :haha:

almost tapped that same curb in my first yota one late night!!!:;

Using the wifes 1/4 ton ZJ to tow my Jeep to the rubicon. I did not use Anti Sway controls or a load levelling hitch. No biggie, the jeep was rated to tow that kind of load, so I figure I'll just take it slow. Right around Chehalis, I was following one of those BIG cranes with like 10 or so wheels on it going down the freeway at about 55MPH. One of the tires on the Crane blows and traffic starts scattering everywhere. I slammed on the brakes on the ZJ and the trailer brakes lock up and lift the front wheels on the ZJ up in the air and I hear the chassis "crack". I thought the windshield was going to pop out of the damn thing. I dusted myself off, turned the trailer brakes down a little and towed the rest of the way to the rubicon and back without incident.

Another time I had a U-Haul to move from VA to Wa. I didn't know nothing about nothing about trailer brakes. Well that cocksucking trailer had surge brakes on it. The wife and I got lost in Mukilteo looking for the new place and ended up on a dead end headed downhill. Only recourse was to back the trailer back up the hill. The damn thing would back up about 10 feet and then no more. I didn't know how surge brakes worked so I just stood on the U-Haul go pedal and slowly backed up the hill. I mean that thing was revving to the redline tires smoking and the trailer was being pushed backwards. The check engine light came on and I just held it to the floor until I could turn the truck around. After that the truck would only shift into 1st and second gear and it smelled like burnt something or other. I turned the truck in and told them that it happened on the way back to the drop off point and they should check it out.

I bought my scrambler in Portland and was bringing it home from my brothers place. My buddy had brought his trailer and pickup down to haul it back, we discovered his trailer brakes were not working on the way home so we took it easy. The scrambler had a bunch of spare parts in the back and we did not realize how heavy they were, the trailer was back heavy so coming down one of the hills south of Chehalis that was grooved badly by the trucks the trailer started swaying, a half mile later the scrambler came off of the trailer and luckily landed wheels up in the middle of I-5, parts scattered over a quater mile along the freeway. Could have been much worse. :eeek:

Let's see, over the years...

Used a 2" ball with a 2 5/15" coupler on the trailer, towed a couple hundred miles with ZERO issues, didn't realize it until later.

Forgot to latch trailer and hit a bump, trailer came off ball and dragged with safety chains until I stopped. Luckily it was just an empty trailer.

Best one was on the way to KOH last year. Brandon was driving at the time, we were in Medford and I had FINALLY gotten a chance to fall asleep. I wake up when I hear the tire blow. We had JUST gotten onto that like 2 mile long overpass or viaduct thing with NO shoulder, no exits, etc. By the time we stopped, both right side trailer tires were done. Had to drag the trailer with both rights flat for like 1.5 miles to the other side of the bridge before we could do anything about it. Luckily it was like 3am and no other traffic.

Mike will remember this one.... tow rig issues on the way to KOH last year also, turns out there was a recall for an injector connector. I could make it a few miles at a time before the injector would flip out and go into limp in mode. Added an extra several hours to our trip while we figured it out.

John

Mike will remember this one.... tow rig issues on the way to KOH last year also, turns out there was a recall for an injector connector. I could make it a few miles at a time before the injector would flip out and go into limp in mode. Added an extra several hours to our trip while we figured it out.

John

:redneck::redneck:

Funny thing is I had 2 rigs in the last couple weeks with the same issue... :awesomework:

Not me towing, but I was part and parcel to it: Swapped my trailer for MaryAnns to go to Team Trophy challenge pre run couple years back. They run a 2" ball I run a 2 5/16", neither of us ever bothered to check the ball size. MaryAnn drove that contraption all the way there. Also her first time with the truck/camper/trailer/jeep configuration. The poor tamers that came to help us unload practically **** a ring round themselves when they saw the configuration and that we came from Monroe to Liberty, needless to say we were sent home on a spare hitch/ball. Good thing I loaded me jeep tongue heavy for that trip.

On the way to Elbe for a work party at ass crack o thirty, came down the curve of woods creek road at the Y, hit a patch of ice. Did a 180 and parked it on a blackberry swamp in a large ditch you could say, between 2 telephone poles, ejecting the jeep from the trailer.

On the way to the Hangover run up at Tonga ridge on Foss River Road, driving on slush with a tasty layer of rain/frozen rain or ice, basically really slick snotty crap, a club member John was coming back down, with his truck/trailer/jeep back down the road at me because the conditions were too poor to drive on for his rig, another club member in front of me stopped to let him by and ask why he was coming back down, I tapped the breaks to avoid hitting Rudi in front of me, and to stop to give John more room to pass by with his truck and trailer, and lucky me, I slipped right into the ditch and perched there at a nice 45 degree angle - Glendon in the front seat was just screaming DITCH DITCH. Hey buddy it could have been worse, I could have been heading toward the river. Although the jeep stayed on the trailer this time it was a much bigger pain in the ass to recover. Big thanks to to John, Gina, Glendon, Rick, Rudi, Moose, Mary and the people in the Purple Grand Cherokee. Also on the way out fixing the tow rig bead with Jeff & Crash who stopped to assist the motley crew already working on the problem.:awesomework:

Word traveled fast on CB that day, and by the time we got up to the group to acutally do some wheeling, they'd given me a new name, saying a trend is emerging. I see Crash hasn't changed my thing to ditch witch yet, guess he had a change of heart.:fawkdancesmiley:

I'd like to note that I DID NOT get the tamer cowbell back for that mishap