• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toy 4.88?

JToyota2

I have found a 85 Toyota I am considering trading for to build myself a DD/mild offroad/hunting truck. Its 22R 5 speed 4x4 single cab. I have decent knowledge on these trucks but have seen that there are a few guys here that know much more than I do. The question is about stock gearing. From my past experience a white mark on the pinion nut is supposed to mean 4.88 gears. But I have never seen a STOCK 4 cyl. With 4.88s only newer IFS V6 trucks. I have googled it and again only see info on V6 IFS trucks and about them having a different type of carrier. The mark looks white to me. Is this common? Is it aftermarket gears? Is it V6 thirds swapped in? Or am I completely off all together?
Also I would like to hear opinions on this odd ball 4.88 deal? Good/Bad?

The differential carrier is just a standard 4 pin carrier.

The actual 3rd member casting and gears are different. Instead of using a different offset carrier or thick gears they cast a new 3rd.

Does it have 4cyl or v6 3rds?

OK thanks the guy said the gears have never been changed but he doesn't seem to know much about the history of the truck. I guess its better that they're aftermarket so if I ever wanted to change gears I wouldn't have to get different 3rds. Thanks again.