• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toy driveline q's

MIG'DHORSE

I'm ready to put together some drivelines (finally) and I'm wondering what kind of yokes to use.

My idea is to have a CV shaft in the rear, because the rig will see highway use. Can I use ANY toy pickup CV (double cardan) yoke? I talked to one of the marlin techs today and asked about the IFS front CV yoke, and whether or not this yoke would be up to the abuse in the rear of a wheeling rig. He seemed pretty confident in its ability, but I'd like to simply clarify and see what you guys are running on the street.

I have dual cases and a 4" spring lift on a standard cab, so running a CV in the rear and pointing the rear pinion up to the rear output flange is a necessity. Most toy CV shafts are front shafts either from the older solid axle rigs, or the front IFS shafts.

What do you guys think? Thanks!:awesomework:

The IFS fronts are junk. You cant use one, it will run out of anlge to droop.

They were never designed to droop down as an IFS never moves like a solid axle.

Use a cv from a 84-85 front in the rear of your truck. Then use a normal rear non CV shaft in the front of your truck.

If you swap the flanges from front to rear you can avoid drilling new holes in them.

I run a ifs cv in the back driveline and have had zero issues with it not having enough movement but my rear shaft is 58" long and I have very little lift. With your short wheelbase you may have to clearance the CV. Not a problem, here is the link on how to do it. :D

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/cvmod/

That sounds like a great way to spend a weekend.

I run a ifs cv in the back driveline and have had zero issues with it not having enough movement but my rear shaft is 58" long and I have very little lift. With your short wheelbase you may have to clearance the CV. Not a problem, here is the link on how to do it. :D

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/cvmod/

thanks man! yea i know i have to clearance it. i swear that joint has a 10 degree maximum range :haha: but you only have about 2 or 3 inches of lift... unfortunately my rig will be a little taller than that. my main question was regarding strength, i guess. but if you ran it on your rig, I will definitely be able to run it on mine! thanks again.:awesomework:

I wonder if the late model rear cv shafts run different ujoints. by chance were these involved in the recalled shafts from the newer tacomas? it would be nice to have a bunch of trashed cv shafts laying around dealerships :haha:

I've never ran a CV in any of my toy driveshafts. They are a pain to change out Ujoints on the trail and seem to always be sloppy if your using junkyard stuff.

Just set your pinion angle up right and run normal hiangle toy yokes. 2nd gen yokes are the best ones to run imo.

thanks man! yea i know i have to clearance it. i swear that joint has a 10 degree maximum range :haha: but you only have about 2 or 3 inches of lift... unfortunately my rig will be a little taller than that. my main question was regarding strength, i guess. but if you ran it on your rig, I will definitely be able to run it on mine! thanks again.:awesomework:

I wonder if the late model rear cv shafts run different ujoints. by chance were these involved in the recalled shafts from the newer tacomas? it would be nice to have a bunch of trashed cv shafts laying around dealerships :haha:

Same joints between IFS and solid axle. Mine was put in there when I first put the truck together and dd'd it. I never expected it to last this long but it has proven to be strong enough to hold up to my stupidity. :D

I'm running an clearanced IFS joint in the rear with out issue as far as strength. I have a set up similar to yours and no body lift. The horse collar crossmember was in the way of the CV joint and needed to be clearanced. Of course the pinion had to be rotated, too. I went a degree under pointing straight at t-case. Have had no issues with vibes.