• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toy G52 Tranny troubles

Try turning the engine OFF at a stop, then see if you can find gears. If so, you either have a pilot bearing issue (seized bearing) or a hydraulics issue because your clutch isn't releasing.

When you changed your clutch, did you replace the bearing?

In any case, diddle with the hydraulics first, because it's easier than taking out a trans.

What brand master did you install? I always recommend Aisin parts which are OEM Toyota. Should cost around $30. Anything else is a waste of money. Also, best to do clutch master/slave combo at the same time.
where are u getting master/slave for $30? i get cost..and its MUCH more than that for OE stuff.

and yes OEM stuff is superior, by far.

Try turning the engine OFF at a stop, then see if you can find gears. If so, you either have a pilot bearing issue (seized bearing) or a hydraulics issue because your clutch isn't releasing.

When you changed your clutch, did you replace the bearing?

In any case, diddle with the hydraulics first, because it's easier than taking out a trans.

What brand master did you install? I always recommend Aisin parts which are OEM Toyota. Should cost around $30. Anything else is a waste of money. Also, best to do clutch master/slave combo at the same time.

I'll swap out the clutch master and the slave first and see if that does it. I paid 29$ for the slave and 59$ for the clutch master through Marlin Crawler. All Aisin... :awesomework:

Like i said parts will hopefully be here by wednesday. I'll have an answere by then. I hope.

oops I meant that the slaves are around $30. Masters are around $60.
ah. still, thats a decent price for OE stuff. its about the same as i sell the aftermarket crap for at work. altho, i id jsut pick up a NEW(not reman) brake MC for my 4runner. was $80 my cost through work.....was an Aisin:redneck: i was surprised.:awesomework:

ah. still, thats a decent price for OE stuff. its about the same as i sell the aftermarket crap for at work. altho, i id jsut pick up a NEW(not reman) brake MC for my 4runner. was $80 my cost through work.....was an Aisin:redneck: i was surprised.:awesomework:

just think, another 50$ and you could have an Fj MC... :awesomework:

Still waiting on parts. I did however start it up yesterday in my driveway just to listen for sounds. I'm getting the usual TO bearing noise when i push in the clutch but also a louder sound when i let it out. I didn't move the rig in fear I would crap out the input but I've decided to just drop the entire trans/case and replace the parts no matter what.

On a side note, I called my local toyota dealer and they wanted 41$ for a Rear main seal... :mad: Is this a normal price because it hurts to hear. :screwdog:

just think, another 50$ and you could have an Fj MC... :awesomework:

Still waiting on parts. I did however start it up yesterday in my driveway just to listen for sounds. I'm getting the usual TO bearing noise when i push in the clutch but also a louder sound when i let it out. I didn't move the rig in fear I would crap out the input but I've decided to just drop the entire trans/case and replace the parts no matter what.

On a side note, I called my local toyota dealer and they wanted 41$ for a Rear main seal... :mad: Is this a normal price because it hurts to hear. :screwdog:
whats the benefit of an Fj MC? and what year/model we talking about?

yeh, thats close. i sell them for $38, aftermarket, NATIONAL brand. $41 from the dealer sounds like a decent price.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/brakes/mcylinder.htm

Ok, damn that seal better be made out of gold. :mad: Thanks for verifying that. :awesomework:
thanks for the link. i upgraded the front rotor to the vented style(on my 4runner), but never noticed any increase in pedal travel. BUT, on my offroad yota, i did the 87 rear axle, and did notice the pedal travel increased.

any idea what yr of fj80 to use? maybe i can get a MC through work, i just need to know the year.

and not a problem. hope u get ur trans problem figured out.

thanks for the link. i upgraded the front rotor to the vented style(on my 4runner), but never noticed any increase in pedal travel. BUT, on my offroad yota, i did the 87 rear axle, and did notice the pedal travel increased.

any idea what yr of fj80 to use? maybe i can get a MC through work, i just need to know the year.

and not a problem. hope u get ur trans problem figured out.

Thanks,

I believe all of the MC from the FJ80's 91-97 are the same. I know some have different locker options but the axles/brakes remained the same. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone mention the clutch bracket?

My clutch bracket developed cracks and I drove it that way for a while. Then it got a lot worse and caused all kinds of problems getting into gear. It got so bad that I would have to shut the engine off to start from a stop.

It's not an uncommon problem.

My clutch bracket developed cracks and I drove it that way for a while. Then it got a lot worse and caused all kinds of problems getting into gear. It got so bad that I would have to shut the engine off to start from a stop.

first ive heard of that, with a hydro clutch. now, with a cable clutch...all sorts of problems like that...

first ive heard of that, with a hydro clutch. now, with a cable clutch...all sorts of problems like that...
I wouldn't think it makes a difference if it is hydraulic or cable...the bracket is part of the mechanism that the pedal pivots off. My clutch was not being fully disengaged so I had real problems getting into gear with the engine running.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think it makes a difference if it is hydraulic or cable...the bracket is part of the mechanism that the pedal pivots off. My clutch was not being fully disengaged so I had real problems getting into gear with the engine running.
well, with a cable clutch, theres generally alot more pressure against everything. and requires more effort on the pedal...

I don't think its the bracket but i will definatly look at it when im rumbling around.

$41 for a rear main seal?? HOLY SHIAT I better lock mine up.. I have 4 or 5 of them sitting in my gasket box I take camping.... :eeek:

Yeah they're like gold... :booo:

You want one? Seriously pay the freight and I'll toss one in the mail. I can't see anyone droping that kinda money on a stupid seal... :D
u talkin rear mains? or front mains? why do you have so many rears?

front, i can see, since these trucks spit them out like chewing gum:rolleyes:

u talkin rear mains? or front mains? why do you have so many rears?

front, i can see, since these trucks spit them out like chewing gum:rolleyes:

Anytime I need a headgasket I buy a complete gasket kit from engnbldr so I have built up a good stock of extra's. I actually have a box that has every seal and gasket to do like 3 engine's minus headgaskets... So yea, I fix everyone's **** on the trail. :D

Latest posts