• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toy Haulers...

I have 38' Salem that I haul a Jeep YJ in. Fits great right over the triple axle. It has 3 queen beds and a two couches that fold into a bed. Around 5k capacity.

How will it be licensed...as an RV or a car trailer? The sales rep @ Freeway Trailers made it sound like the blue State of WA sticker is pretty important...something to do with insurance?! Does anyone know what he was talking about?

That is the state certification tag. Just means that the construction meets code written for the State of Washington. For a manufacture to sell the trailer, it has to have the correct tag for the state in which it was sold before it goes to the dealer. If you were to come down to Oregon, buy a trailer, take the trailer to Washington, you are fine. That sticker doesn't mean **** to the end consumer, just to the selling dealer.

It can be registered as an RV.

I've never really cared for the guys at Freeway because of the misinformation.

Nope. I didn't get the full story. I bought the trailer from VR Sales in Puyallup, they had ordered it just to see how it would sell. Somewhere there was a mixup because they're not an RV dealer and this trailer wasn't sold properly to them. I dunno what happened, but I got a killer deal because of the mix up. It's just licensed as a utility trailer and not an RV. It's insured for full replacement cost though. I am going to be reading those links on how it all works as I will be shopping soon again.

J

John, just as a question, how tall is the opening for the rear door?

That is the state certification tag. Just means that the construction meets code written for the State of Washington. For a manufacture to sell the trailer, it has to have the correct tag for the state in which it was sold before it goes to the dealer. If you were to come down to Oregon, buy a trailer, take the trailer to Washington, you are fine. That sticker doesn't mean **** to the end consumer, just to the selling dealer.

It can be registered as an RV.

I've never really cared for the guys at Freeway because of the misinformation.

Is there any place that will make a trailer that has a "living quarters" up front, and an open back deck that can haul 5-6000lbs?
I know pack rat made an open deck one, but mostly for quads, but kinda like that...:eeek:

Look at Interstate Trailers

I've found that the Interstate trailers have a better floor in them over the Wells. If you have the time, you can Order whatever you want in the form of axles, tires and doors or ramps.

Also one of the problems is that once your rig is inside the trailer, what about all the extra things your going to bring along? Think about going just about double the weight of your rig to have the load bearing you'll really need.

Just some of my thoughts.

John

Is there any place that will make a trailer that has a "living quarters" up front, and an open back deck that can haul 5-6000lbs?
I know pack rat made an open deck one, but mostly for quads, but kinda like that...:eeek:

there is a packrat forsale in the swapmeet section

I know pack rat made an open deck one, but mostly for quads, but kinda like that...

They have at or around 4000-4300lb capacity depending on some options. Tows the wifes Jeep fine, yes it is for sale as well.

I know pack rat made an open deck one, but mostly for quads, but kinda like that...

They have at or around 4000-4300lb capacity depending on some options. Tows the wifes Jeep fine, yes it is for sale as well.

I have seen yours and its cool:cheer: , would work great for my race rig, but a bit smaller then I would want for my fullsize bog rig. I know I am a picky bastage!!!
I am really suprized that yours has not sold yet, one of these guys should snag it before its gone.:awesomework:

My 38' Salem by Forest River 5th wheel has a cargo capacity of 5000 lb with 18' of cargo space. The door is another issue to watch out for. The older models are rated at only 2000lb the new ones can handle 3000lb. When I pull the Jeep in I use jackstands underneath just incase.

I bought mine at SouthHill RV. Talk to Dell he is the owners son and him I went backforth for a week with the factory and when we loaded the Jeep for the first time the factory rep came out just too see.

One of the issue I found when looking at any unit with a slide it removes 1000 lb of cargo.

The floor on the Salem is three rows of I-beam construction. It's dead solid.

P5170027.JPG

P5170028.JPG

P5170029.JPG

P5170030.JPG

P5170031.JPG