• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toy Story

Maverick26

As iron sharpens iron...
Well, been surfing CL for a while now and finally found the truck I have been wanting. This will not be a wheeler at all, going to restore it over time to be as close to factory as I can with maybe a few common upgrades like cross over power steering and IFS brakes. I want it for a dd/mountain hunting truck.

Everything seems to work on the truck, motor is just off a fresh rebuild and looks and runs very nice. Body is in very nice shape with very small bits of surface rust in some small areas. Interior is factory untouched as is most of the truck. Still has factory jack and all the handles in factory toyota bag. Im a sucker for **** like that. It will need a tranny rebuild/replace.

Im going to call on all you toyota guys to help with this in the tech area, I have lots of questions on the steering and tranny stuff, what are my options ext....

Right now, im excited cause this thing rocks! Ill get more pics soon.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 595
I used to have a really nice burnt orange 81 SR5...Miss that truck bad.
Might be getting another tho! :redneck:

I used to have a really nice burnt orange 81 SR5...Miss that truck bad.
Might be getting another tho! :redneck:

These little trucks are getting harder to find in good shape, lots of guys wheel them or part them out or whatever so it makes them a bit more rare. I cant wait to get this one all shined up and finish all the loose ends on it. For the most part it is in very good shape and working order. I have a soft spot for these trucks for sure.

Nice. I saw this thing listed on CL a few days ago. I just picked up another yota again a few days ago. Im not sure if im going to build a wheeler or just keep it stock for a dd.

I need to get the tranny reliable in this thing soon so I can drive it a little more then I can now. Its got the 4 speed in it now that feels quite like junk to me and sounds like its crushing rocks. Can I replace the entire unit with a 5 speed? If so, what am I looking for? W56? G52? Does it matter? whats best?

I need to get the tranny reliable in this thing soon so I can drive it a little more then I can now. Its got the 4 speed in it now that feels quite like junk to me and sounds like its crushing rocks. Can I replace the entire unit with a 5 speed? If so, what am I looking for? W56? G52? Does it matter? whats best?
If you want to just bolt it in a 81 to 83 5 speed bolts right in. If you want to use a W56 or a G52 they are 4" longer which requires longer front d-line and shorter rear d-lines and moving the crossmember back. If your interested I have both W56 and G52 5 speeds but no first gen 5 speeds.

So happy to see someone doing this. I regret ever messing with my last 79. Good luck, I love 1st gen trucks. I believe they will be sought after like FJ40's soon

I have three nice first gens. These trucks are getting scarce. There is going to be a big market for repop resto parts for them real quick I think.

Nice truck, make it nicer!:awesomework: I have a bit of parts for them also if ya need. :cool:

If you want to just bolt it in a 81 to 83 5 speed bolts right in. If you want to use a W56 or a G52 they are 4" longer which requires longer front d-line and shorter rear d-lines and moving the crossmember back. If your interested I have both W56 and G52 5 speeds but no first gen 5 speeds.

Ok, thanks for the info mark. other then Dlines does anything change? Shifter location? I wont have to cut any of the floor out?

I have three nice first gens. These trucks are getting scarce. There is going to be a big market for repop resto parts for them real quick I think.

Nice truck, make it nicer!:awesomework: I have a bit of parts for them also if ya need. :cool:

Thats the plan Brad. You, Mark and Mike are on my list of folks to talk to about getting this thing done up right. I like the idea of a stock truck but I also like the idea of power steering and better brakes and things like that. Help in those departments would be good.

Also, Crash if you read this... I kinda wouldn't mind paying you for some help on getting the electrical system finished and up to speed and reliable. The engine bay just looks a little hecktic. The motor got pulled and rebuild and im not sure if everything is hooked up correctly. It has a Webber carb on it also that needs some tuning. Wondering if your up for something like that? The truck runs and most everything seems to work ok but I see some electical tape connectors and **** like that.

gonna maybe do the brakes tonight, If I go and swap in 86+ rotors and calipers do they need to be V6 or 4cyl parts? any difference?

gonna maybe do the brakes tonight, If I go and swap in 86+ rotors and calipers do they need to be V6 or 4cyl parts? any difference?
I used 1981 FJ40 rotors Some use FJ80 and IFS calipers. The V6 calipers are bigger and may rub your rims but if they do you can grind them down. I think after about 91 all were V6 calipers.

I used 1981 FJ40 rotors Some use FJ80 and IFS calipers. The V6 calipers are bigger and may rub your rims but if they do you can grind them down. I think after about 91 all were V6 calipers.

Was reading about a guy that used '88 pickup IFS rotors, calipers and Master but didnt say if it was V6 or not. Everything just bolted on his '81 truck tho. I guess the question is, is there a difference between 88 4cyl and V6 calipers and rotors. I know the master is from a V6 cause thats what Marlin sells.

Was reading about a guy that used '88 pickup IFS rotors, calipers and Master but didnt say if it was V6 or not. Everything just bolted on his '81 truck tho. I guess the question is, is there a difference between 88 4cyl and V6 calipers and rotors. I know the master is from a V6 cause thats what Marlin sells.
I guess I only know what worked for me. I'm sure there are lots of other combo's that work. I used a master cyl. from a 90 V6 truck. There are steel and aluminum ones and I used the steel one.