• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toy Story

Got some more stuff done today before work, I have got a 1992 2wd pickup fuel tank with pump inside and all the wires that go with that. I got my old carb tank pulled today along with all the lines that I will be swapping in the EFI lines. Im not sure if there is much difference in the lines other then the EFI supply line is larger.

I have been fixing up the new motor a little on the stand, new pan gasket, new VC gasket, EGR delete, installed the accessories... yada yada. Tomorrow I plan to degrease and wash the motor bay and do a little painting and maybe get fuel lines installed.

Attachments

• photo 58.jpg
    photo 58.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 212
  • photo 59.jpg
    photo 59.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 207
  • photo 60.jpg
    photo 60.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 219
  • photo 56.jpg
    photo 56.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 226
  • photo 57.jpg
    photo 57.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 218
Nice! looking forward to seeing your swap:corn:. I put a 91 22re in my first gen and I love it, beats carbed all day long. If you haven't figured out the fuel tank yet, I may have some usefull info for you. That was one of the biggest headaches of my swap.

I feel like I have most of the parts and pieces handles man but the wiring has me by the balls. I really need help getting the factory 1981 truck wires spliced into the new engine harness. I feel like I can figure out how to get the factory gauges to work since I know what wires those are and can splice into the new motors harness to plug into the new sensors. Its the stuff like the tach and power to the computer and what sensors the computer needs to see and fuel pump/circuit open relay.... im lost.

I feel like I have most of the parts and pieces handles man but the wiring has me by the balls. I really need help getting the factory 1981 truck wires spliced into the new engine harness. I feel like I can figure out how to get the factory gauges to work since I know what wires those are and can splice into the new motors harness to plug into the new sensors. Its the stuff like the tach and power to the computer and what sensors the computer needs to see and fuel pump/circuit open relay.... im lost.

Maybe try a search on Mud. I'm sure someone over there has done this swap and put together a nice pictorial thread.

I put a Chevy TBI in my FJ60 and any question I had with wiring could be found with a search on Ih8mud. Wiring scared me too, until I did it. Then it wasn't so bad. Get a good soldering iron and some shrink tube for the joints and have fun.

I have done the swap, and was able to get everything working, albeit the tach is not accurate (reads higher than actual), but everything else works. I can't remember everything needed off the top of my head, but I do remember needing the relays for the ecm power, circuit opening relay (fuel pump), and one other.

Ya Kev, maybe the EFI main relay is the other one. My brain hurts from reading so many swap threads and info online. I got a guy that is sending me some drawings but I wish I had someone that could just come over on a weekend and point and tell me what I need and don't need to hookup in the harness. Im trying to stay positive and figure this out but im getting in over my head.

I wish I could be more help. I had one of Odies buddies wire mine. He did an awsome job but in the end I wish I would have put in the time to figure it out myself. Just to know my system better. I dont think there is much to it really, like 12 wires spliced. If you get the wiring figured out you should document it in this thread:awesomework: good luck:beer:

Last edited:
Ill shoot Brian a note and see what he says...

Today I started on it myself and it seems to go smoother then I thought it would. I just cleaned out the stuff I know I don't need but I am still a bit foggy on what and where I need to splice into my truck to make it all work.

Also the intake and Tbody is plugged up pretty good with black oily carbon crap so I am going to clean them out good. I welded up the unneeded vacuume ports on the intake manifold.

Attachments

• IMG_3288.jpg
    IMG_3288.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_3290.jpg
    IMG_3290.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3292.jpg
    IMG_3292.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3293.jpg
    IMG_3293.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Most of the stuff (dash wise) you use the original truck's harness and use the senders from the old motor. For the things like tach, fuel pump/sender, and such, the wire colors are really close (if not the same in color/striping). The beauty of the 3rd gens is once you clean the crap out of it, there are only a few wires needed to graft to the truck to make it all work...Grab a good schematic for each yr truck, and study it...You'd be surprised how easy it is to decipher.:awesomework: Wish I was closer...

Well I have done a good bit or reading and learning and I decided to start today by finding all the connectors that are not being used by the stuff I have removed from the new motor like all the EGR stuff and VSVs. The truck does not have AC or cuise so things can get simple. My 1981 truck harness will provide all the wires to the gauge cluster for the tach, fuel gauge, speedo is cable, and coolant temp, volt meter is easy, and the Oil PSI is live copper tube.

I started at the new fuel tank and cut the 3rd gen connector off the harness for the gauge sending unit and spliced it on the end of my 1st gen harness. Fuel pump wires (one blue and one white) will run up the frame alone with the 1st gen sending unit wires. Fuel tank done!

I Then took the engine harness off the motor, while unplugging connectors I know I need I labeled them for easy reinstall and so I don't flub up and remove wrong wires. I then removed all VSV wiring, 4x4 wires, electronic speedo wires to clean up the engine harness.

I also removed the PNP switch wire, the stop switch wire and the speed sensor wire... I hope I did good on this cause most buggy harness do not have such systems.

Believe it or not I was left with about 5 wires that come out of the dash harness grey plug and go to what looks like the steering collom area. This is where I will do more digging before I tie them into my truck. The white dash harness plug was completely eliminated from the system since this is mostly gauge wires.

Attachments

• AFF6BB79-0298-4C9A-AA71-F2348553374F.JPG
    AFF6BB79-0298-4C9A-AA71-F2348553374F.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 274
There is one wire that will need spliced to the switched ignition power to trigger the relays for the ecm...THAT I remember. :redneck:

Did some side stepping today... got a few things done but I am taking my time doing things right. Got the 3rd gen fuel tank installed today and ran the 3rd gen pressure/feed line along the frame. I did some thinking and chose to use the 1st gen fuel gauge sender so I didn't have any issues in a week when I turn the key and my gauge don't work. To do this I had to use the 1st gen sender and the 3rd gen float and rod so it will clear the fuel bowl/baffle inside the tank. Maybe a bit of extra work but I know what I have now. I also took the time to bench test the pump and clean out the inside of the tank. I used the 3rd gen fuel filler neck also, it fits with a little man handling.

Tomorrow, my plan is the rough rout the wiring... I need to add a hole in the firewall, mount the ECU, pick up a few things at Napa, maybe do some more painting and cleaning of parts. I am hoping to have everything done and installed by next weekend so I can try and start it up.... we will see. I told my buddy that we will wear helmets and have the hose ready. :beer: :beer:

Got the new RE sitting in its new home this morning... Bummed about the Hawks but I am happy about life and the way this project is coming along. I'm excited to drive it and I hope that day is soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 222
Got lots of stuff hooked up today before work. All fuel lines hooked up, installed starter and wires for it, installed alternator wires, routed and hooked up RE wire bundle for the drivers side items, MAF and coil. Got 02 sensor installed and wiring routed. Hooked up all vac lines and heater hoses.

Only things left to do now is cut the hole in the firewall and rout wires for computer and hook up the few wires to the ignition and grounds. I need to buy and install new belts on the motor also. I hope to be closer after tomorrow, goal is to have it running by the weekend and maybe do a test drive. :cheer: :beer:

Ok, been working on all the little invisible finish work the last few days. I am waiting on a friend to give me some info on the last few wires I need to hook up. Wiring gives me a headache. Anyway, here is what it looks like now.... almost too clean. :beer:

Attachments

• IMG_3303.jpg
    IMG_3303.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3304.jpg
    IMG_3304.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_3301.jpg
    IMG_3301.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 177
I have finished the 22re swap to the point where my knowledge runs thin and I am waiting for help to arrive this coming Saturday to finish the wiring and get it running. Thanks Bill for hooking me up with Phil, he is an awesome dude!

I am spending the meantime doing other little fix-it stuff and building some body protection... more for looks of course, cause I wont be wheelin this thing... :stirpot:

Attachments

• IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3326.jpg
    IMG_3326.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3327.jpg
    IMG_3327.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3328.jpg
    IMG_3328.jpg