• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toy w/ 22re idle issues when wheeling

slideshow86

I've got a 93 toy with 4cyl, single transfer, 5.29 w/ 35's

I don't see this issue on the street. Only when wheeling for some reason.

When I have a high electrical load and am idling, the truck wants to drop rpm's baddly. For instance. Im in 4lo, its raining outside and my wipers and heater is on. I crawl a hill and wait for group at the top. The truck starts to get a little warm so I turn on my electric fan and bam, the truck falls to 250-300 rpm's. I can rest my foot on throttle and keep r's up but this is a PITA and when im inching down hill and im having to work all 3 pedals it down right gets annoying. I can raise rpm's at the same tine I air down, but then im always over revving.

Does anyone else have this problem?

We have heard of it and we had kind of the same issue with our Landcruiser. With tons of lights, then other higher amp loads, it would fall short. Not bad... it was injected. So we installed a hand throttle and solved our problem. We also later installed a Mean Green Alt. can the problem only occurred when we had everything on.

Hope someone can be of more help! :D

Why do you have an electric fan on a 22re? Is this only a problem when the electric fan is on?

We have heard of it and we had kind of the same issue with our Landcruiser. With tons of lights, then other higher amp loads, it would fall short. Not bad... it was injected. So we installed a hand throttle and solved our problem. We also later installed a Mean Green Alt. can the problem only occurred when we had everything on.

Hope someone can be of more help! :D

Mine is also injected, sure is nice on the steeps.

I figured the added electrical load would register the internal regulator in alternator and ask for some help. The help would show it self in the form of resistence to the belt. This resistence, with certain timing, will lower my rpm's just enough to make it almost die/or die. But if this were the case, you would think this would happen on every car w/ ac. That creates a ton of drag and you never hear engines raise lower rpm's.... What gives..

Yes it seems to only do it with all my 12v crap on. I only SASed it a year ago and have been to busy to take her out a lot. I have been out a few times though.

Maybe Ill add some more grounds and see if that fixs anything?

Why do you have an electric fan on a 22re? Is this only a problem when the electric fan is on?

It was on there when I got it. It was owned by a guy in texas AND the block is stamped with numbers and info from a company down there that its a rebuilt long block. Maybe the guy over heated it and thought he needed better cooling?

Kind of, or atleast I think so. I slightly remember it doing it with just wipers+heater+ downhill braking but im not sure. That may have been before the new battery. I know it is a big part of the issue though. Its a big effing fan. Like a 15incher! I was like :hi:, when I saw it. I did rewire it though so I know that end is kosh. I barely ever have to run the damn thing. Seems to never get too warm.

What do u guys suggest for size of fan? a single 12" should do the trick eh?

For fans, we run the biggest fan we can cram in there with full shrouds.

Yeah, did not think about the grounds... Add some! That can never hurt a thing!

As for the AC load, in an injected engine, they have a solenoid that boosts the RPM to compensate for it. There is no solenoid for the electrical load unless you can add one... Not sure how to do that.

I wonder if you add a second battery to the system if it would stop this? The batteries would take the extra load, and not place such a big demand on the alt. We try to keep the alternator running at 50 to 60% load... Anything over that we try to put in an extra one or run a bigger alternator.

You should NEVER need a electric fan on a toyota 4cyl.

If you do them you have radiator/tstat/fan/clutch/etc problems.

An electric fan will just bandaid fix the original problem and create problems for the shitty toytota alternator.

Fix the cooling system and throw that fan away.

You should NEVER need a electric fan on a toyota 4cyl.

If you do them you have radiator/tstat/fan/clutch/etc problems.

An electric fan will just bandaid fix the original problem and create problems for the shitty toytota alternator.

Fix the cooling system and throw that fan away.

Will do, Thanks for the insight. It seems like it doesnt need it but it was on there when I got the truck. I dont have cooling issues, I just start to get warm after slow wheeling and hammering on it. in a days worth of wheeling, I turn it on maybe 5 times to control heat and only for 5-10 mins at a time, or how ever long I let it idle for.

By chance do you have the correct fan/fan clutch I could purchase? I would like to get this thing squared away and if I remember correctly, you live sort of close to me.

Are you running your fan by just a switch only?

If you decide to keep the electric fan(which above recommendations say to get rid of it) I'd suggest using a thermo controlled relay.

Upgrade and add grounds will definately benefit your system and so would upgrading your alternator.

Are you running your fan by just a switch only?

If you decide to keep the electric fan(which above recommendations say to get rid of it) I'd suggest using a thermo controlled relay.

Upgrade and add grounds will definately benefit your system and so would upgrading your alternator.

Yes it is just on a switch. If I keep it, it will go thermal+manual switch.

What is the best "drop in" alternator? I just installed a winch today and know ill need as much juice as possible.

Now im off to go swap out the battery for the red top from my race car, Im not going to need it any time soon (86 toyota corolla gts, got a complete wrecked s2000, swapping it all over, full cage, fully d1 legal...WHOOT I know I know, honda engine in a toyota... just wait... :stirpot:)

-i put in red top battery
-swapped out the electric fan for the oem fan/fan clutch
-upped my idle screw a smidge.

All seems well!