• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota 4x4 automatics

BUILTnotBOT

buddy has a 85 4runner with a auto trans and dont know much about the strength and longevity of these transmissions.... Any body dealt with the A340's much?

I see the transfercase issue, but inchworm makes a kit for that, and also the interchange ability of these transmissions to run the aw4/231 or d300 setup. But overall Daily driving capability there isnt much out there about them...

any help is much appreciated.

Well they got a little pump and cooler set up, ??

They Rob power ?

What sort of Whitetrash talk is this ??

There ya are talking out of school again. When you have first hand experience owning and driving stock and modified vehicles that we are discussing then you can join in. Until then go back to your "school of hard knocks" that has apparently taught you little.

The H in A340H stands for hydraulic. The t case is ran off of pressure from the trans pump. When the pump starts to fail or there is a pressure leak in the t case you lose high range but low range will still work. That added drag on the pump robs power.

Last edited:
Reverse, snow, 4hi = KABOOM on your high range.

ask me how i know?

34584_424447956408_524401408_5099639_4561322_n.jpg

Now it has a 5speed, no issues, more power (lower gearing in the manual tranny) and its more fun to drive/wheel! plus i get better gas mileage, if your buddy DD's it, consider a 5speed swap. and it would solve say, dual case issues.

Last edited:
thanks for the all the info guys :beer: :beer:

been reading about these transmissions for awhile today and seem like most people really like em for the most part. Would anyone know what years the a340F (chain driven Tcase setups) started coming around? Ive seen mixed dates for these models

My buddy daily drove and wheeled his for almost 10 years i think. Never replaced it. He did mention that he never planned on getting anywhere fast.

thanks for the all the info guys :beer: :beer:

been reading about these transmissions for awhile today and seem like most people really like em for the most part. Would anyone know what years the a340F (chain driven Tcase setups) started coming around? Ive seen mixed dates for these models

Most V6 rigs and some 4 cylinder rigs had them. The earlier trucks equipped with the F had a gear driven case. It is the unicorn of the Toyota world.