• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota automatic - swap for a manual

Ten4

lookin for some help here. i have an 87 toyota 4x4. i have done a sas and all the other typical toyota stuff. now i am going to swap in a 5-speed. already have the tranny. just curious if anyone on here has does this. i have a few questions.

1. what is that computer/module in front of the auto-shifter?
2. how hard is it to cut the hole in the fire wall for the clutch master cylinder? any pointers on how to?
3.and what all do i need to get from a donor vehicle for the pedals?
4. do i just un-bolt the auto brake pedal and bolt on the manual pedals?

any input would be much appreciated.:awesomework: i hope to be doin this soon.

A donor vehicle would be awsome. but.......

You will need the manual pedal assembly. The hole where the clutch master goes is in the assembly. So that is a no brainer. Just drill it. A hole saw is what you want. I personaly would measure the hole on a manual truck to get the size exact.

You will need the clutch master, the hard line to the slave and any hardware or clips. You need the slave cylinder.

Probably the absolute best thing would be to switch your complete cab harness from your Automatic truck to a Manual truck. IT really is easy. I have done it in a couple hours before.

But my guess is it's not necessary. You can probably just get away with unpluging the transmission computer.

You will need the wiring that plugs into the EFI wiring and runs to the Transmission. It is located right about where your oil filter is.

The only real problem you might encounter is in dealing with the neutral safety switch. I would look to see if the Auto wiring has the plug in for the clutch switch. It would be right about where the clutch petal would be. It might and if it does your home free. :awesomework:

Easy swap, I have done a few now. Hardest part as mentioned is buzzing the hole for the clutch master. As for the starter issue, who needs a clutch safety switch. Most folks bypass the factory setup on a stock truck.

thanks for the help so far. but i was still curious about the little module that is right in front of the auto shifter. do i just unplug and toss or what?

Latest posts