• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Axles in YJ...School me

Metalbender

-=WTF=-
A friend is looking to put some new axles under his 1990 YJ he is running 35" tires, and from what I have seen I think Toy axles are stronger than D44....
What year and model donor yotas will bolt in to a yj?

Yep I think so I am not sure I have seen them in a lot of yj but never looked to hard, it doesent mater He is putting in all new drive train chevy I think......

I run with a couple yota guys and I just checked the picks, looks like they are indead passenger side pumpkins. Don't know a whole lot more about them but I know the drop out carrier is really nice to set gears up in and one of my friends is runn 39's on one and he hasn't broke it yet knock on wood.

toyota axle's are not built for heavy rigs with power. bottom line. they might last with alot of maintenance in a 100 hp rig with 95 gears, but in a jeep, after you put parts in to keep it strong, you will still have an 8" ring and pinion as your fusible link. go 44, preferably 60 if you can afford it, especially with a "chevy" drivetrain.

This is going to be a hunting rig not a core wheeling vechicle, I have just seen toyota axles stand up to 35-36 in tires a lot better than d44 especialy with Bobby longs....D60s are out of the question

No toyota axles will bolt into a YJ. The diff is on the wrong side and they are way too narrow. If all he is doing is a hunting rig on 35's then just get a dana 44 rear out of an XJ and upgrade the shafts in the front D30.

Toyota's are strong with a 4cyl turning them, but with chevy meaning v6 or small block, 44 is easier/better option

you can flip it.
although it would be cool, it kinda seems like alot of work to me.

i cant find the artical, but you have to cut and turn the inner knuckle ball dealys 180
then cut the back of the housing and turn it over for ring gear clearence. andim not shure if the studs will line up with the third since it is technically upside down

or just re tube it.

Last edited:
No toyota axles will bolt into a YJ. The diff is on the wrong side and they are way too narrow. If all he is doing is a hunting rig on 35's then just get a dana 44 rear out of an XJ and upgrade the shafts in the front D30.

Are you sure?

I say go for it and a flipped dana 300

Yes I'm sure. YJ axles are about 61" wide with 31" spring centers. Toyota front axles are about 56" wide aren't they?

Why would you go for it with a flipped dana 300? That would put the dana 300 on the driver side just like the stock YJ case while the toyota axle still has a passenger side diff. What would that accomplish? It all sounds like a wasted effort for a hunting rig on 35's.

it CAN be done. and is def an upgrade over the heep stuff.
you would need a different t-case, with pasenger side output.
width wouldnt be a problem...jeeps have a retardedly big backspacing on the oe wheels.
run a bit less BS on the yota stuff, and ud be the same, or close to the width.

Yes I'm sure. YJ axles are about 61" wide with 31" spring centers. Toyota front axles are about 56" wide aren't they?

Why would you go for it with a flipped dana 300? That would put the dana 300 on the driver side just like the stock YJ case while the toyota axle still has a passenger side diff. What would that accomplish? It all sounds like a wasted effort for a hunting rig on 35's.

Toy mini truck are 55.5" with 29" spring center

FJ60 are 63.5 and a considerably stronger housing but are from a coil spring setup but can easily be converted to leafs (I have done it with 20" spring center and 31 easy to do also)

my bad--for some reason my thinking was back wards on the 300 :haha: Ya, don't mind I have one IN my rig,whoops

toyota axle's are not built for heavy rigs with power. bottom line. they might last with alot of maintenance in a 100 hp rig with 95 gears, but in a jeep, after you put parts in to keep it strong, you will still have an 8" ring and pinion as your fusible link. go 44, preferably 60 if you can afford it, especially with a "chevy" drivetrain.

A jeep is lighter than a four runner(roughly 5300 #'s) and the axles can survive under them---you do the math

Here are the toyota axle widths and info.

Toyota Mini Truck Front Axle Identification
79-80 no gusset
81-83 short gusset (to u-bolts)
84-85 long gusset (past u-bolts)

Stock Toyota front axle measurements for comparison:
55.5" wide, 29" spring perch centers, '79-85 Toyota trucks and 4runners, SA Hubs
58.25" wide, 29" spring perch centers, '79-85 Toyota trucks and 4runners, IFS Hubs
63.5" wide, (set up for coil springs) 90-97 FJ80 and FZJ80 Landcruisers
'86-95 IFS front end is about 58.5" wide
'93-98 T100 IFS front end is about 65" wide

Toyota Rear Axle Widths:
55" wide, '79-85 4wd trucks/4runners - 6 Lug
58" wide, '86-95 4wd trucks/4runners - 6 Lug
56" wide, '79-95 2wd Trucks - 5 Lug
60.75" wide, '95.5-up Tacomas/4runners
66.75" wide, '93-98 T100 trucks

My buddy is running yota axles in his yj. So yeah it can be done. It's more work then a dana 44 but worth it since he ditched the shitty dana 30. He is still running the 2.5ltr. Went to a dana 300 with the adapter from AA. IFS rear end with 1 inch spacers. Front axle out of an 84. Spring perches had to be moved and used 2 inch spacers up front.

best way to do it is get on trail gear order their sas crossmember weld that to the front of frame then recess the shackle mounts into the frame then your front is done make drivelines rear put new spring perches on and get neew shock mounts its cheap and way relaible I dont think the people who say it is not have ever wheeled with guys that run it and know how to handle their vehicles.