• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota clutch options and advise

I had zero issues with my marlin 1600 clutch. It replaced the stock one that smoked at 128k and was still perfect when I sold it to out an auto in. Centerforce makes a good clutch but the pressure plate weights are a gimmick at best. I have a zoom dual friction in my 2x dd and its a nice clutch with very little slip so I wouldn't recommend it for a wheeler. It is great for 6k clutch dumps and chirping 3rd however. :redneck:

Support your local NW Vendors. :D

I can do the Centerforce Dual Friction for $469 or an OE Japanese kit for $250. Both are in stock locally, could round up within an hour or so. Keep in mind the CF kit doesn't include pilot or throwout bearing, so a few extra bucks for those if you want the CF kit. And I would ALWAYS get the flywheel machined when doing new clutch.

John

Support your local NW Vendors. :D

I can do the Centerforce Dual Friction for $469 or an OE Japanese kit for $250. Both are in stock locally, could round up within an hour or so. Keep in mind the CF kit doesn't include pilot or throwout bearing, so a few extra bucks for those if you want the CF kit. And I would ALWAYS get the flywheel machined when doing new clutch.

John

I agree. :awesomework:
I always try to support local business. I would stay away from any of the trail gear junk, its cheaper for a reason.:beer:

I vote for marlin, I used them on the last 2 trucks I built. Never had any problems getting them, and they hold up great.

I have a friend who ran a dual friction and when he pulled it off the flywheel had heat cracks in it. I'm not saying that the clutch is the problem it could have been the way he drives. I have only wheeled with him twice and that was in the snow.

I would stick with the stock flywheel and have it flywheel machined its cheap enough and usually same day turn around depending on the shop doing it.

So I vote Marlin or OE, in that order.

I agree. :awesomework:
I always try to support local business. I would stay away from any of the trail gear junk, its cheaper for a reason.:beer:

But what is the reason? If the factory stuff is best, then how is tg's kit bad? They say it's an Aisin/Seco kit. I know most of tg's stuff is of lesser quality and that's why it's cheaper, but if the clutch kit they sell is actual Aisin/Seco then what exactly makes it less quality than the Marlin kit? I'm not trying to defend TG, I just don't wanna spend extra money just for a name. Can someone let me know what the difference is in the kits Marlin sells compared to TG's? Besides the typical, "Trail Gear is junk!" response. I want an actual reason.

My bad didn't even notice, just go with the stocker Aisin then, save money for your vavle job since he at 180 on 3slow

Thank you all for your responses. Gunna go with the Marlin clutch. They only offer it in the 1200 # for the V6 but that should still be good.

Pulled my tranny last night and found out that my pressure plate was so full of mud that it would not engage. Clutch was not shot, just wasnt grabbing casue the pressure plate was stuck open and now makes since as to why the pedal was so stiff. Probably had a few thousand more miles to go but oh well.

Anothe quick question, ive never really worked on motors but if my rear main is not leaking should i replace it anyway cause im in there or leave it as it is? Ive always gone with if it aint broke dont fix it.

Thanks again

On the 3.ohshititoverheatedandshatteredbothheadsagain if it ain't leaking leave it alone.

:haha: i like that one!

And thanks, ill leave it be for now.

I do have headers on it tho and only aobut 10K miles since the factory recall was done where they replaced the entire head because the original one was warped so bad it couldnt be milled. Valves and head gaskets should be good for a while, knock on wood.

Headers seem to make the biggest difference in longevity since they keep the #5 cylinder from cooking due to the engineertards at Toyota deciding it was a good idea to wrap it with exhaust on 2 sides and leave the head torque low as well... Oops! did a writeup on replumbing an oil line to keep the #5 cylinder from filling with oil when flopped onto that side. Just a couple items that'll help that time bomb last a bit longer. :redneck: