• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Dana 60 swap?

jake90

Is it worth it to you guys to ditch the yota axles an swap in a shortened dana 60 front an a 14 bolt out back? I have completely built axles now an haven't had to many problems with them but I'm looking to just get a little wider stance an to be more stable an durable in the long run... What are your guys opinions on it?

FJ80 front, and FJ full floater rear.

If you need beef, 9.5" fj80 front would be sweet.

I'm doing FJ80 front, 8", and IFS rear 8", with wheel spacers to match up to the 63.5" track width.

Too heavy, 9 in have my vote, same price to build half the weight, unless you can afford. Pro rock 60s. Which i would still prefer 9 in.

I was thinking that since their so heavy they'd keep me planted to the ground better in off camber situations than a dinky little toyota axle... already flopped the yota a few too many times an just don't want to again until I get an inner cage.

I was thinking that since their so heavy they'd keep me planted to the ground better in off camber situations than a dinky little toyota axle... already flopped the yota a few too many times an just don't want to again until I get an inner cage.

Your in the same thinking as me!!!!:awesomework:

Not like i won't be adding a few hundred pounds of water to my front tires for some wheeling when it is necessary!!!!!:redneck:

Last edited:
Maybe your rig is too high...

I see all these yotas with like 30" belly height and wondering how they WOULDNT flop

I'm aiming for like 18" belly with 36s.

I love my lili Toyota axles.. and if yours are already built id run them.. do some ifs outters for width and some offset wheels and/or wheel spacers..

I run 44s on mine and dont breakparts... Dana 60s break too... everything breaks

My toyotas got a 26.5 in belly height on 40s an is 73inches wide to the outside of the tires with 1.5 in spacers...

keep what you got unless you're breaking stuff. Not sure why you're flopping, usually driver related or suspension set up.

You're 73" WITH spacers??? Hell, I'm 72" wide up front WITHOUT spacers...
Somehow, I think your 26.5" belly/73" width is gonna have somethin' to do with the tippy factor...:eeek:

Yeaaa... I'll admit my first flop I was showing off for some girls. An I just had my buddy help measure it an I'm at 76 inches wide but my truck it still kinda tall. I'm working on building taller shock hoops to put the coilovers through the hood since they can be adjusted down any further. :cheer:

Dana 60>Toyota axles and its really not close as far as strength, durability and maintenance. If your running little tires the toy stuff is an economical way to go, but once you run bigger meats and more HP is where the 60 stands out. I have ran polished out Toy stuff back in the day, and given the choice would never go back. Do it once, do it right.:corn:

I'm in the process of swinging 60's under my yota. But it does not have a 4 cylinder in it anymore and I want to be able to drive this rig to the local spots and not have to worry about getting home.

There is always the extreme circumstances but the 60 is a much better piece of mind. Especially with a v-6 and large tires.

Your thinking the same way as me then! Don't wanna worry about the ol 40s tearing the yota axles apart on the trail lol