• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Guys... 22re help...

Pock

I have a reman 22re in my rig that was in it when i bought it and only has a few seasons of riding on it. My issue is when I have my front end in the air for more than a minute or so, such as trying a steep ledge/obstacle, it starts smoking really bad and running rough until i get it back on flat ground. I'm guessing the oil is getting up in the top end. Is this a common issue on the 22r/re? Is there anything i can do to "fix" the problem, other than an engine swap? :dunno: The motor runs great other than in these situations. Doesn't smoke a bit any other time and has plenty of power.

oil is pooling in the valve cover and being sucked into your intake
route your lines around the engine and plug off anything that isn't necessary

they will all do that in stock form - too much can be bad! Couple vacuum caps and it will go away completely

Pcv tend to give the most issues for this problem, replace it or remove it and add a filter in its place.

If I replace it with a breather filter, wont the oil just pour out all over the valve cover & down the side of the engine?

Its possible, but it would happen if the rig was driven on the road where rpms stay up.But mine and all the others I have ever seen never had an issue. Mine used to smoke like that too in the same type situations, tried a new pcv and never stopped it.
Capped the intake and put a filter on top of pcv and never had an issue.

Sounds good. Thanks for the input. What kinda cap did you use on the intake?

Mine does that every now and then on certain climbs. It does it only on longer hills when I'm staying in the rpms headed to the top.

Re: Re: Re: Toyota Guys... 22re help...

Pock said:
If I replace it with a breather filter, wont the oil just pour out all over the valve cover & down the side of the engine?
Had mine on its side, roof, other side, roof the other way, on its nose, never had oil past the mini filters. Smokes a bit once back on the wheels but no leaking oil :dblthumb:

I use all the emission block off plates "for 22re on ebay" on mine and run the pcv line into my breather and the same from the front vent line . Mine too have been on all sides no leaks or smoke!

Pock said:
Sounds good. Thanks for the input. What kinda cap did you use on the intake?
I think I just cut the hose, put a bolt in it and clamped it.

TacomaJD said:
Mine does that every now and then on certain climbs. It does it only on longer hills when I'm staying in the rpms headed to the top.
Trust this guy he "mashes his motor" :indianajones:

Re:

603299cadc4ef7a5d5525dd1042ea4d1.jpg

The last 22 I had would start runnin like **** and even blow the dipstick out along with a quart if you held it on the floor. I put a breather filter on it and let it dump that **** all over the motor and it ran like a scalded dog! :****:

BUG-E J said:
The last 22 I had would start runnin like **** and even blow the dipstick out along with a quart if you held it on the floor. I put a breather filter on it and let it dump that **** all over the motor and it ran like a scalded dog! :****:

Still does too. Don't think I've ever had a drop of oil leak out though.

Mine does the same thing I HATE it. I have the filter
And vans ge the Pcv regularly. Still smokes. Did I read
that I can do away with the Pcv ?

I misspoke when I said remove it, I wouldn't do that. Been awhile since I did mine, I just put a filter on top of the pcv.