• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Tcase short shifter

GSI

I have an 85 4runner with a body lift that the previous owner put on. Due to the body lift, I was having trouble with the t case staying in 4 lows as the shifter would hit the opening in the body. I also wanted to be able to use the shifter boot. Our solution was to make a short shifter. We started out by creating a CAD drawing of the shifter base profile. We decided to make it 1" tall to start with.

After we had the cad model, we brought it into CAM to choose all the tool paths required to make the part. Then we put a piece of aluminum in our CNC mill and proceeded to machine the part.

All finished up in the mill. We machined the outside profile with a bit of material hanging off the bottom, clamped in the vise. We had to do a second operation to remove that left over material.

After we got finished with this piece, I cut the shifter below the ball and welded in a 1" extension. It's working perfectly and made it where I can use my shifter boot again.

I had a similar issue with my shifter hitting the body in low. had to notch the body. Body lifts suck, but was necessary at the time. Wish i had access to the tools you have. Your solution looks nice.