• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota trunnion bearing

Biohazard mess on the trail fixing a blown birf.

Then again ive always wondered about that 'fill plug'

I use red grease and dont have any trunnion, birfield(longfield) or wheel bearing issues. I will keep it that way. But, thanks for your .02 Tranny:awesomework:

This axle design goes back 70 plus years, the type of lube that works best, and what Toyota fills them up with is a semi fluid grease, Birf soup is a form of grease,

In all of your internet-wide campaigning, have you ever convinced a single person that the Toyota knuckle housing should be filled with a liquid lubricant?

Your understanding of the meaning of "viscous" and "fluid" is weak at best (did you know that the glass in your trailer windows is a liquid?).

My main concern is that you someday gain some communication skills and people start actually understanding and applying what you preach.

So how much of that #0 sodium grease do you sell every month?

If I'm understanding this, please never put oil or oil mixed with grease in the knuckl with our birfs. For one, it will run out through your hub and wiper seals. I know sometimes the axles seals leak anyways. We recommend and pack our birfs with a high impact moly lube grease. Never put oil in a CV. That's why your CV's in the front of your cars come packed with a moly lube grease. This grease has way more body for higher impact and heat resistance for CV joints. Because a CV joint has so much more contact area grease is a better cushion. My thoughts on the trunion bearings are to stick with Toyota or a good Timken bearing. The trunion bearing eleminator kit, a friend of my put them in and they went to hell in 3 runs. They galled real bad. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
heres something that I found that explains the situation. (Real world engineering stuff) says lithium based moly grease= is crap although the technical term "unsatisfactory" but if you think you have all figured out carry-on

Yes. Real-world engineering stuff. You did a fantastic job of quoting someone's application for a patent. Do you even know what all that means? I suspect not, or else you would have realized that the patent application is for another grease that uses (guess what) molybdenum disulfide as an extreme pressure agent.

Last edited:
Tranny Frank-

After going back and reading your posts again, I think I've realized the problem. You seem to think that the lubrication recommended for trunion bearings is also appropriate for birfield joints. That is simply not true. If you were simply recommending the #0 grease for trunion bearings, I would still disagree, but only mildly and only based on the fact that it's too thin for anything but arctic conditions (read the novak link that YOU posted).

It is not the proper lubricant for CV joints or wheel bearings.

for Toyota, Rover,. Dodge, Ford , International, Susuki its all off the same design and they all use a semi fluid grease,
It is all one assembly From the little axle seal to the gasket on the hub...

Then why bother putting a seal between the wheel bearings and the knuckle (hint: it's not "all one assembly")? Why does the factory put wheel bearing grease in the wheel bearings? Why does my factory service manual say to use moly-fortified grease in the wheel bearings and packed into the birfield?

Do what works for you - I'm going to trust the dudes that designed the parts.

Then why bother putting a seal between the wheel bearings and the knuckle (hint: it's not "all one assembly")? Why does the factory put wheel bearing grease in the wheel bearings? Why does my factory service manual say to use moly-fortified grease in the wheel bearings and packed into the birfield?

Do what works for you - I'm going to trust the dudes that designed the parts.

X2 thank you.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

:haha:

EDIT:

I just read through this, and what I'm getting out of this thread is that toyota's suck, jeeps rock. Guess thats good to know.

I'll stick with the way everyone does it and has done it forever. Bearings wear out, shitty bearings=shorter life. Its not like our bearings are in a manufacturing process, where max bearing life is essential. Trunnion Bearings see high stress situations and abnormal wear patterns, they won't reach thier maximum in our situation.

Last edited:
tin-foil-hat.jpg

:haha:

EDIT:

I just read through this, and what I'm getting out of this thread is that toyota's suck, jeeps rock. Guess thats good to know.

I'll stick with the way everyone does it and has done it forever. Bearings wear out, shitty bearings=shorter life. Its not like our bearings are in a manufacturing process, where max bearing life is essential. Trunnion Bearings see high stress situations and abnormal wear patterns, they won't reach thier maximum in our situation.

........ I just wanted to post something like ^^ did.......:fawkdancesmiley:

I run what Bobby told me to when I bought my 30 spliners!!

Last edited:
So, did ya get some CHINESE trunnion bearings for your front axle?

No

Since the owner of this vehicle was filling the knuckle with a 140w oil, all of the bearings where in excellent shape, they where re-used original Toyo koyo

The 140w oil was obviously drooling out of the wiper seal,but the wheel bearing Oil seals contained the oil just fine

He would fill the knuckle every year, so being that oil is far better than grease as a lube the bearings from 1981 where happy ,

What it boils down to here is if you want to get 5 years out of your axle do what Toyota tells you to
If you want to get 30 years out of your axle do what Toyota's old man Willies tells you to do a semi fluid grease in the #0 form sodium based

correct fluid that lasts for 30 years
"Take it to a shop that knows what they are doing. For $600 you can get a complete knuckle overhaul, with the correct parts and fluid and not worry about your axle for another 30 years"

Do you have a wheeler? Everytime we get a birf when the oil got in it an washed the grease out they were wore out an clicking, thats why Toyota quit running oil in the knuckles in about 1964. They went to grease in the CV's and still do to this day. There's no way in hell any axles will last 30's years of wheeling. Thanks for all the input. Bring you wheeler out to the tuff truck staurday we would all like to look at it.

Last edited:

No
I wasnt talking to you. Notice how the quote is aimed at "charliesnyder", I was making fun of his new garbage bearing purchase. :rolleyes:

For $600 you can get a complete knuckle overhaul, with the correct parts and fluid and not worry about your axle for another 30 years"

I would just spend the same 600 with mister Long and get some axles that will last years longer than anything. No stock CV is going to last more than a half hour with me driving. I dont care what kind of grease is in it.

This is North West Wheelers. Not North West Daily Drivers.

What are you an "internet engineer? :corn:

(PS, The army has been using birfs/CVs longer than anyone and they dont use oil, they use GREASE)

Not yet.. I pick em up today!! Right now its not an option to do Koyo's or the OEM Toyota ones. I priced them out at 40 a piece. I need to make this thing mobile before I head back Monday just in case...

Know where I can get my hands on some more cone washers?

no. your just gonna lose them on the trail anyway when them arms fall off again cuz the bearing failed and loosened it all up.

Your a quick lerner, huh.

No not really... Actually kind of a slow one :fawkdancesmiley: !!!! But hey everyone is young and dumb for a while. Mines just lasting a little longer than normal!

I destroyed my bearings because of lack of maintenance on my part. I don't blame the bearings at all. Only one bearing got destroyed in a year. I built the truck half-assed first go round and am paying HUGE now. I'm having to go back and re-do most of my work.

I didn't change out the races when I rebuilt my front, only re-checked torque on the studs once in the year I wheeled, and wheeled two days in a row without even checking over the truck. I've learned my lessons and will give TG another try untill I can afford Koyo's or OEM. I know I will have to re-do them again: but live and learn right?

This thread will be cleared up shortly...:awesomework:
tranny frank, If you want to get into a lube debate, start your own thread about it, don't clutter this one up...:rolleyes: