• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyta for a jeep

toyrunner95

ok guys im looking for some advice i got an 84 toyota and im thinking i want to trade it in for a jeep grand cherokee, easier to deal with for me at this point in time. BUT, what do u guys think. is a jeep grand cherokee worth of a trade. i like the toyota but im getting kinda tired of it. i need a new project. jeeps are easy and cheap.

i want something with mucho flex capability and i dont need any biger tires than 35s, i know trimming is necessary and some grands did come with 44s f and r. other than that my parents hae had 2 and theyabsolutly love them.
________
VF700F

Last edited:
toyrunner95 said:
ok guys im looking for some advice i got an 84 toyota and im thinking i want to trade it in for a jeep grand cherokee, easier to deal with for me at this point in time. BUT, what do u guys think. is a jeep grand cherokee worth of a trade. i like the toyota but im getting kinda tired of it. i need a new project. jeeps are easy and cheap.

i want something with mucho flex capability and i dont need any biger tires than 35s, i know trimming is necessary and some grands did come with 44s f and r. other than that my parents hae had 2 and theyabsolutly love them.

Don't downgrade to a rig with no frame.........

What are you planing on doing with it? In my opinion, cherokees have too much body to get mangled. Dump more money in to the toy:stirpot:

Unless you are talking about full size waggy, No ZJ/WJ (93-04) ever came with a D44 front. They have D30's some with u-joints others with CV joints.

They did have D44 Rears but the housing is cast aluminum and there are no locker options for it.

hahaha wow the public reprisials ensu. ok well i got a few problems with my toy and no money to fix them no matter how many macgyver skills i have.

i have a good start, www.faithwheelers.com, members rigs, joe pierce

thats what i got. the front bumper needs to be secured better. the winch mount is good and the bed is almost done. needs some actual panels instead of wood and a few other things.

also i want to do a dana 60 swap, i have a rear but i need new outers and the gears and a locker installed, i have 4.10s in a box somewhere. i also need disks installed.

IF ANYONE CAN DONATE PARTS IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIEATED!

rear 60 disks and 30 spline outers. i have 21s now and they arent big enough.

crash: how much would it cost to have u put the new outers on and set up the axel on my rig. i can do the breaks and stuff but the spring positioning is kinda tricky to me.
________
Honda CM250

Last edited:
Thats what you have and thats what you need? Man---why start all over again. Maybe just take a break and let it sit for a while. I really think you have an EXCELENT start and hate to see you walk away from it..

IS it still sitting on toy axles? Why are you going 60's so soon? Gotta remember sure the 60 is the #1 axle but its not for everybody..

well i dont want to crack a birf at all, i dont have enough torq to break a 30 spline. and i picked up a read dana 60 for 50 bucks and i got a brand new set of gears for 100. y not. it just needs a little more work to get it up and running.
________
GSX-R600

Last edited:
toyrunner95 said:
well i dont want to crack a birf at all, i dont have enough torq to break a 30 spline. and i picked up a read dana 60 for 50 bucks and i got a brand new set of gears for 100. y not. it just needs a little more work to get it up and running.

You going to run 8 lug in the rear and 6 up front?

A front 60 is not going to be CHEAP by any means...

And it really pointless to run a 30 spline 60 IMO..

ok advice time, with what i have. what shoud i do.

conditions

must be street legal. or close enough
needs to be sufficent for multi day back country expeditions.
needs more flex
and rear shocks must be done. right now i dont have any.
________
buy easy vape

Last edited:
toyrunner95 said:
ok advice time, with what i have. what shoud i do.

conditions

must be street legal. or close enough
needs to be sufficent for multi day back country expeditions.
needs more flex
and rear shocks must be done. right now i dont have any.

Isn't that what you have now?

Just needs a lil tlc...

i need an air compressor. an outback or something. hard mounted. anyone got any ideas?

also i am looking for snorkel for a 22r but i dont know what kind of carburator i have. i dont think its for a toyota. the guy who built this thing did a sorry job at it.

Last edited:
You've been in Pullman too long, you need to go to Elbe with Me and Gibby this weekend, Forget Mexico. Just keep the 'yota, you've come this far, why turn back now. Hey, where are you storing that 60, I bet I could have it in my TJ before you get back. :redneck:

BTW: If you put a snorkel on that thing I'll slap ya!

Ok i'm going to try and remember everything I just read.
First off. A grand cherokee would not be a downgrade, just a diffrent type wheeeler. Also there not cheap. You'll never find as many built one's for sell or anything close to the aftermarket following of the Toyota. You could build that Toy to be capable for "Safari" for far less than a Zj
Second The Grand cherokee never came with a 44 front, D30 was the only front. Also Karl VP was inncorrect. You can get a locker for the ALuminium housing 44, Aussie locker makes one.
Third. I assume from reading your post that you have a tight budget. If this is true you should stick with what you have. Sell the 60 build the yota axles with used parts(swap meet, freinds, forums, e-bay,etc) Run 35's and get 20mpg. The second you lift your Grand the milage will be below 14mpg and even worse if you get a v8(I get 10city/13hwy mpg geared proper w/37's) these things are heavy.
Fourth As for the unibody part. The Zj(up to 98) are much more rigid than a Xj and the WJ(99-04) are even better than the Zj. Yes it's still a unibody though.
I could go on and on but the wife wants SEX so I'm.....

Latest posts