• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trail gears new longfield.

zukimaster said:
I got trail gear rear chrome moly axles, they are the biggest piece of junk made, i have already broke 2, and the last one broke at the wheel and about half way up the splines going into the carrier! 2 breaks on same axle at the same time! and they are made in china.
In my experience I way seen way more aftermarket rear shafts break than stock in Toyotas.

Kraig with RCV checking in. Just wanted to say thank you to all who have purchased this product line from us direct or through one of our many dealers. WE do offer free hub gear sets or drive flange sets with the purchase of mini truck or 4 runner axle kits. Call us or an RCV dealer to discuss any questions.

85buggy said:
Give us a number

815-877-7473

http://www.rcvperformance.com/

Toyota.jpg

Just got off the phone with Kraig. Went ahead with a short side RCV inner to replace my broken one and will always have that warranty.

Thanks Kraig! RCV all the way over Trail-Mart! :dblthumb:

What does a front RCV set cost for a Toyota front?
that's a pretty awesome deal throwing in hubs/flanges
just curious, I have dirty 30s and haven't had any issues..

I think it has a lot to do with how you drive...if you are worried about breaking Toyota shafts buy/build a 60..
the one guy posted a pic of a "real longfield" birf breakage the same way the new one did. . just saying

smbroady82 said:

I think it has a lot to do with how you drive...if you are worried about breaking Toyota shafts buy/build a 60..
the one guy posted a pic of a "real longfield" birf breakage the same way the new one did. . just saying

Not sure what the mini truck axle set costs, but FJ80 axle set was $785 when I talked to them on the phone. I'm sure the mini truck axle set is significantly cheaper.

smbroady82 said:

I drive like my grandma walking on a cane to take a ****, i have broke lots of toyota stuff

TacomaJD said:
Just got off the phone with Kraig. Went ahead with a short side RCV inner to replace my broken one and will always have that warranty.

Thanks Kraig! RCV all the way over Trail-Mart! :dblthumb:
Kraig is good people. He will bend over backwards to help anybody out. Next time I touch the phone for axles I will be giving him a call. :****:

We broke more Longs on 35's and 22RE than I care to count. We never exploded them because of comp prep, we would find the star cracked. The problem was that they wouldn't warranty them until they were completely blow apart. I also know a guy who went through dozens of them over the years. Everything will break in some situations. Yes it does suck that they aren't the same part anymore but that doesn't mean they are junk either.

As far as 3 rides, we broke some in one comp. Being in OEM production, we've had parts break when they get unloaded off the trailer. $h!t happens.

Re: Re: Re: Trail gears new longfield.

Willymutt said:
We broke more Longs on 35's and 22RE than I care to count. We never exploded them because of comp prep, we would find the star cracked. The problem was that they wouldn't warranty them until they were completely blow apart. I also know a guy who went through dozens of them over the years. Everything will break in some situations. Yes it does suck that they aren't the same part anymore but that doesn't mean they are junk either.

As far as 3 rides, we broke some in one comp. Being in OEM production, we've had parts break when they get unloaded off the trailer. $h!t happens.

Assuming that was the mini truck Longs with 300m stars that you cracked several times?

Stock 85 pickup on 32's with welded diffs. Still has push pull steering. And as you can see it didnt strip the factory 27 spline inner. Bought them used from a member here, one had one ride on it, the other was brand new. I have the box they were shipped in. They have been in the truck less than a month.
I though i was adding a little security to it, apparently not. And this was the new one. The other one was marked with a slight groove on the outside.

I can't comprehend why people expect mini truck axles to hold up to so much. Your buying a warranty when purchasing these shafts considering what your getting I'd go out on a limb and suggest your paying more for the warranty than quality... You get what you pay for. When the day comes my long fields are no longer covered under warranty I'd be a bit upset till then I'll keep breaking them knowing why I bought them.... For the warranty.

Nothing is unbreakable.

I think the worst part of the trailgear purchase of longfield is that they are passing a lesser quality product off as what was once the best product out there for Toyota minitrucks. Having the name Longfield on their product brings a false since of security to those who don't know any better.

Yes the quality of the product is what i dont understand. this is a stock truck with 32's and the steering stops turned in....that axle has only been ran for a month. I loved the longfields i had in my samurai, never had a problem. if i was using this as a crawler or beating on it i would buy RCV's. I was litterally cruising down a dirt road. never heard a pop, no clank, nothing just the tire stopped puliing on a little dirt hill climb, figured it was a hub not engaging correctly. drove it home and around town that day, turning into my work parking lot that night (an hour drive 50 miles one way) the steering bound up. Got to playing with the steering/axle and the broken birf is what i found.

We understand it is a toyota axle not a rockwell, but when a Chromo shaft that is suppose to be strong breaks faster than a stock part, something isn't quite right.

TacomaJD said:
RCV is gonna be the new leader for good shafts. Lifetime warranty as long as you are running 40's or smaller tires, made with 300m internals in the birfs, even the FJ80's are being made with 300m internals, whereas Bobby's Longs for FJ80's were 4340 chromoly through the entire axle assembly. Basically if you want anything that resembles the quality of an original Longfield, buy RCV and don't waste your time with Trail Gear's imitation garbage.

Yeah, I talked to RCV a couple months ago and and asked about the full scoop. They are still basically the same thing that Bobby was selling, lifetime warranty and the price is the same as TG IIRC. :woot:

Re: Re: Re: Trail gears new longfield.

Rjhoward32006 said:
Yes the quality of the product is what i dont understand. this is a stock truck with 32's and the steering stops turned in....that axle has only been ran for a month. I loved the longfields i had in my samurai, never had a problem. if i was using this as a crawler or beating on it i would buy RCV's. I was litterally cruising down a dirt road. never heard a pop, no clank, nothing just the tire stopped puliing on a little dirt hill climb, figured it was a hub not engaging correctly. drove it home and around town that day, turning into my work parking lot that night (an hour drive 50 miles one way) the steering bound up. Got to playing with the steering/axle and the broken birf is what i found.

We understand it is a toyota axle not a rockwell, but when a Chromo shaft that is suppose to be strong breaks faster than a stock part, something isn't quite right.

I was considering getting some of those 27 spline TG Longs.... Not now. I'd definitely say you had a defective part