• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trail Jamboree

I will be hosting again this year as well.

As Pokey said- Unauthorized trips to the funny rocks or jamboree participants on trails they aren't registered for put the Trail jamboree permit from the forest Service in jeopardy. Yes, It's a big deal. As stated the jamboree trip plans are all finalized by the Forest service and the permit hinges on those plans being followed to a "T". The rules set forth for rigs and trails are set forth to meet the demands of the USFS.

Last edited:
The orginal concept of The PNW4WDA Trail Jamboree was to offer those new to wheeling an introduction to ourselves and the Manastash area. The jamboree was also to be used as a recruitment tool for new members. It has worked very well towards those causes.

For many years we have had as Sponsors Warn Industries, ARB and Roberts Jeep. Roberts jeep has had to drop out this year, We now WELCOME BELLEVUE CHYSLER DODGE JEEP.

Everybody that registers for the PNW4WDA Trail Jamboree knows of and agrees to abide by the Jamboree rules. Non-agreement results in not being able to register.

Since I've been chair of this event we have turned away a couple of rigs that registered. I reviewed their registration and called them to verify that they understood what they were agreeing to. Most were not from this area and following my conversation had concerns of body damage that they were not willing to accept.

We have never turned anyone away at the gate for width restriction. We only pointed out the trails they qualified for and they accepted that. We have however turned back (with no refund) those who do not have proof of insurance. We also have sent some folks to town for muffler upgrades as they had non-compliant glasspaks. Others have had to take some of the mickey mouse/jerryrig out of their rigs. We do this to try to minimiunize trail breakdowns.

what do you constitute as mickey mouse and jerryrigging? i was looking into to going this year, but i have a subaru with 8" of lift, welded rear, limited slip front end, dual cases... my toyota won't be done by the jamboree, but i've been meaning to go for the last 6 years. other commitments, i.e. deployments, and school have gotten in the way the majority of the time. any dates set yet? so i have to register by the 11th in case of sell out?... do you guys do online registrations w/credit card or just check and mail?

If you can't abide by the rules...don't go. It's pretty simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
the trail jamboree has been a great event for many years, getting a lot of new people involved and letting even more know we are not just a bunch of throttle jockeys. the oragnaizers have done a wonderfull job of staying within the guidelines they have been given and still keeping it afun event for the specific target of participants that have attended. i applaude all those that have been involved over the last (i dont know when it started) years.

As compared to wheeling the same trails on a different day for no $$$, w/o width restrictions, etc...

What I want to know is, if I happen to be in the area at that time but not part of the "group", are they going to turn me away from publick lands? :eeek:

What I want to know is, if I happen to be in the area at that time but not part of the "group", are they going to turn me away from publick lands? :eeek:

No absolutly not. All we ask is that people let us have this one week to hold our event. It helps us raise a bunch of money which in turn helps us in our fight to keep the same area open for all.:cheer:

No absolutly not. All we ask is that people let us have this one week to hold our event. It helps us raise a bunch of money which in turn helps us in our fight to keep the same area open for all.:cheer:

I'm just looking at it from the perspective of someone who has no clue the "event" is taking place, plans a weekend out there, and gets it ruined because our public lands have been "reserved for private use".

But it sounds like that is not the case, so carry on. :D

I did this run back in about 1996 and at the time it was lots of fun and a good way for new people to learn there way around the naches area.

so back to my question i asked on page 3, before jobless's mindless interjection... do they take online w/credit card or do i have to mail in the registration? i've been meaning to attend the event for the last 6 years or so, but whether it be deployments or school, something has always gotten in the way. i'll be bringing the subaru if i go this year, won't be able to afford to finish the toyota. so i'm really not looking for extreme, just some middle road difficulty to difficult trails. i've been around the naches area, i have the map, but it's really been years and i would like to see it in a group atmosphere. also would like to see the pnw4wda in work, before i join.

anyone one from the pnw4wda know about how much it will cost and the fee for guests or copilots??

Last edited:
So the width restriction rule and the trails run by this group on these days are rules governing the use of these trails 24/7?

"You did not post this so someone could bad mouth it"...I guess that's just a matter of perception.

How about just some simple rules, like tread lightly and stay on the trail :awesomework:
Nope Brad the rules are NOT YET 24/7 on those trails but if people keep building their rigs BIGGER AND BIGGER AND BIGGER then they will make them 27/7 restrictions. They are rules set down for this event BIG DEAL, get over yourself.

Now moving on,
Yes there are rules and as you said so what. If you sign up then you agree to follow them. Yes as BRAD pointed out you can run all these trails without paying. But you would have to know where they are. Plus you wouldn't get to meet all these great people. :awesomework:

Last edited by a moderator:
so back to my question i asked on page 3, before jobless's mindless interjection... do they take online w/credit card or do i have to mail in the registration? i've been meaning to attend the event for the last 6 years or so, but whether it be deployments or school, something has always gotten in the way. i'll be bringing the subaru if i go this year, won't be able to afford to finish the toyota. so i'm really not looking for extreme, just some middle road difficulty to difficult trails. i've been around the naches area, i have the map, but it's really been years and i would like to see it in a group atmosphere. also would like to see the pnw4wda in work, before i join.

anyone one from the pnw4wda know about how much it will cost and the fee for guests or copilots??

Yes online . we have a paypal account set up for it. Murkman is the chair and can answer the questions on costs. since I havent seen them yet.

Ok, I took all the BS out of this thread. This is not a debate on the Jamboree or a discussion on the merits of the FS, DNR or PNW. Any more BS and you get banned from the thread.

I don't fit, unless Crash get's the Willy's done on time. Hint hint. 81" isn't going to get me on any of the fun trails.

I understand the reason for the restrictions though and I realize that it's not the PNW4WDA that sets them up, only that they are required to abide by them.

I do thing the USFS needs to update the size a little, but if it keeps the event running and it's still always full, then that's that I guess.

Mickey Mouse and Jerryrig are terms used for something held together with bungee cords baling wire and such. Also could be interpeted as poorly fabbed booger welded garbage. The Jamboree in not an event for shakedowns. We have runs organized with up to 20 rigs, Having to fab and rebiuld on the trail takes enjoyment from the others on that run. Thats not to say we don't have breakdowns it's just that we look at the rigs running to try to avoid breakdowns. You would not believe the EXPERTISE in camp. Almost any problem can be overcome. Just do your best with the build and we will see you there. Also remember that all rigs MUST be street legal and have proof of insurance.

By the way the 2008 PNW4WDA TRAIL JAMBOREE is the 19th. Started a long time ago as a Mark Smith Production Jeep Jamboree in Buck Meadows. After management disagreements the PNW4WDA took it over and eventully moved it to Long Meadow (near Crow Creek). In that time frame (1995) the Jamboree was the 3rd largest event of this type in the nation. Diffuculty controlling the unregistered guest and Forest Service interpation of fees caused the event organizers to move to where it is held now. We have a rich tradition that we are trying to inprove upon each year.

We do most of our registration online and payment at the time of registration via PayPal. Last years event filled in 20 hours. The year before that 2 weeks. I expect this years event to exceed last years. Space is limited to 100 guest rigs, Host teams are set by the Host Team Leaders who represent different clubs thruout the PNW4WDA.

Thank you to all who support the PNW4WDA Trail Jamboree. It's been an honor to chair this event. I have made lifetime friends and have come to love the area that the event is held. So much that I have bought property near there and spend all my spare time there now. I don't quite know how to tell everyone what it means to become a member of that community.

Thank You

This years event is $175. Includes Driver, 1 passenger (additional passengers extra), camping, 3 dinners, 1 breakfast and oppurtunity's at door prizes. Runs leave every morning kinda early 6:30 to 8:30. Trail sign ups are handled in camp the nite before. 20 + acres of camping choices,There is potable water onsite with pay showers. There are stores in the area for basic needs. Naches is 16 miles down the road for anything else. Fuel is locally available albeit somewhat expensive.

well mine isn't mickey moused together. i've been wheeling it for 8 years now. i still find bugs or have breakdowns now and again, but who doesn't. i just need to replace a cv shaft that got mud in it and killed the cv joint. And it needs new tires. but it wheels just fine, wheeled all over in az to 4+ level trails via the 5 level rating system.

IMG_4902.jpg

IMG_4883.jpg

wash2.jpg

yeah, whistling jacks is never cheap...

Last edited:
Trail Jam is great to meet friends and have fun wheelin and doing other things. The trails are not that hard, although last year I witnessed a major rollover that could have been really bad, but thankfully wasn't. I am one that had to go to Shucks in Yakima ten minutes before it closed and purchase a muffler and clamps to replace the straight-through I had on my Samurai. They are not joking about TECH INSPECTION. I also endured major breakage on Rocky Saddle and it was a 11 hour trip back to camp (a very long story).
It's lots of fun in the sun. Bring a dust mask and lots of drinking water. Last year it was $150 for two people, camping, and 3 meals. Extra passengers unless they are children are extra $.