• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailer brakes

budgetxj

Ok leaving friday to the hammer with two rigs on my gooseneck and i cant get the new brakes to lock up or even work very much. I hooked 12v to each wheel and the brakes lock right up. I have a junction box in the middle of the trailer so i tested it there with 12vs and it locks up if i hook the ground and the positive up. If i hook it up to the truck i cant get the brakes to work more than just a slight tug. I tried adjusting my prodigy controller and it goes to 6.0 but it still wont stop the trailer. Should i be getting more volts from the prodigy? The wiring is brand new 7wire jacketed wire so no crappy wires. Should i be running a ground from the brakes to the plug or can i ground it to the trailer frame? Could that be a source of the problem? Sorry if its vague but im just burned out on chasing this brake problem down.

the prodigy bc should max out on the reed out to 12 it also has a life time warranty should be able to go any were that sells it and have it checked and or replaced
if your brakes on your trailer work with 12v could be a bad prodigy

Chassis ground is fine as long as the ground wire in the plug has a good connection to the frame also. If you activate the manual lever does it lock up? What type of tow rig? Did the brake controller work w/ another trailer?
Did you buy the controller jumper harness at napa? Sorry for all the ?'s but trying to help.

Its a dual axle trailer. The truck is a 98 12v, the controller worked with my little trailer but its not very heavy and only single axle. No the brakes wont lock up when i try and do it manually.

check the voltage at one of the brakes while some one holds the manual control to full brake. you might have to much voltage loss thru the wire and will need to,

1. ground the brakes to a common ground on the trailer chassis, as short as possible.

2. run at least a 10 ga wire to the truck side harness and on the trailer side to the brakes. make sure all splices are clean from corosion.

When you step on the pedal does the LED on the controller turn full red or just orange? On mine I hold the brake and adjust the knob on the left (aggresiveness or delay) untill the LED is red. Then adjust the gain on the right while driving since the load varies. Also make sure the controller isn't mounted too vertically. In my wife's 02' Ram she will kick it and tilt it then complain her horse trailer brakes are dicked up. Also can use a coin to hold the manual lever over then check voltage down the line. should be close to 12v. all the way to the drums.

When you step on the pedal does the LED on the controller turn full red or just orange? On mine I hold the brake and adjust the knob on the left (aggresiveness or delay) untill the LED is red. Then adjust the gain on the right while driving since the load varies. Also make sure the controller isn't mounted too vertically. In my wife's 02' Ram she will kick it and tilt it then complain her horse trailer brakes are dicked up. Also can use a coin to hold the manual lever over then check voltage down the line. should be close to 12v. all the way to the drums.

Prodigy doesn't have the lil LED, they're Digital!:redneck:... You've likely got a Voyager...:awesomework:

im gonna check the volts and see what im getting at the drums. Any good trailer shop you guys recomend on the eastside for service. If i cant get this figured out today i need to find some where to take it

sounds like bad ground to me. had a similar problem and found the ground wire in the plug bad, only ground was thru the tow ball.

1. ground the brakes to a common ground on the trailer chassis, as short as possible.Be careful doing this as if you ground each brake independantly you could end up with brakes on one side only which could make the trailer tough to control.

2. run at least a 10 ga wire to the truck side harness and on the trailer side to the brakes. make sure all splices are clean from corosion.

10 Ga wire is way overkill for trailer brakes.

Likely either there is a bad ground or the controller isn't set up properly.

Brakes wired so it only gets 6 volts to each wheel

My guess is they wired the two wheels on one side in series (12v to front wheel, then tied the ground for that wheel to the 12v for the other wheel, THEN grounded that wheel, Am I close????

The Prodigy should go up to 12, if your's is only going to 6 then it's probably the controller.

My guess is they wired the two wheels on one side in series (12v to front wheel, then tied the ground for that wheel to the 12v for the other wheel, THEN grounded that wheel, Am I close????

they're brakes, not batteries. I dont think your close.