• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailer Experts Need Your Input

BamaTJ

Hardline Crawler
So I ordered a deckover goose to haul my rig around. The price was just too low to do without, especially considering Brennan has bought my bumper pull. ;D Anyways I ordered a 18ft trailer (16ft deck + 2ft dove). That said is that to steep of an incline to get vehicles other than my jeep on and off? The trailer people typically do a 4ft dove on deckovers, but I wanted the extra deck space instead of the extra dove. It also has fold up ramps, which means they wll be put at more of an angle with the higher dove height. All of you trailer experts give me some feedback.

Why such a short trailer?

16' of deck is wicked short.

I have experience with this issue. I currently have been using a 16' deck, 2' dove bumper pull with the fold up ramps.

It is 4' too short. For everything except my '58 I've had to take the ramps off and put them in the bed of the truck. The breakover is way to much, ask me how I know. I had to replace the cab corners on my '58 the 1st time I loaded it (pre-airbags) So for breakover it eats up low cars, and my '58 wasn't all that low before I bagged it. No lower than a Camry, or something.

Back to the length. If it won't fit a fullsize pickup whats the point? I have had to take the front clip off of 2 seperate cars just to fit them on the damn thing and the rear wheels were still on the 2' dove. A fullsize truck with the bumper all the way at the front touching puts the rear tires just short of the flat on the deck.

And I always try to think about resale, a longer more useful trailer will sell easier and for more money than a short one only suited for a Jeep.

SchoolPicture010.jpg

I really liked it with that bed too... I dig it now , youve done alot and its sa-weet. But I like the step bed..

Oh wait... we were talking trailers. Meh, I cant afford to keep up with you guys, I have nothing to add. :flipoff1:

InDaShop said:
Why such a short trailer?

16' of deck is wicked short.

I have experience with this issue. I currently have been using a 16' deck, 2' dove bumper pull with the fold up ramps.

It is 4' too short. For everything except my '58 I've had to take the ramps off and put them in the bed of the truck. The breakover is way to much, ask me how I know. I had to replace the cab corners on my '58 the 1st time I loaded it (pre-airbags) So for breakover it eats up low cars, and my '58 wasn't all that low before I bagged it. No lower than a Camry, or something.

Back to the length. If it won't fit a fullsize pickup whats the point? I have had to take the front clip off of 2 seperate cars just to fit them on the damn thing and the rear wheels were still on the 2' dove. A fullsize truck with the bumper all the way at the front touching puts the rear tires just short of the flat on the deck.

And I always try to think about resale, a longer more useful trailer will sell easier and for more money than a short one only suited for a Jeep.

I have 16ft deck on my bumper pull now with slide out ramps. The angle is not bad and the trailer has plenty of deck room for my jeep. I have a truck tool box on the front of my current trailer, so I only have 14ft of trailer or so. My jump from front to back bumper is about 13ft long. Shorter, is cheaper that is why I want to go short, plus I don't wanna be dragging around trailer I don't need. I thought about the 20ft, but then I am back to the same dilema. Deck space vs dove height and the associated angle. I still have time to tweak my order as they are build to order and are about a week out on mine.

Kelly you work with trailers everyday how about your opinion. Also what would be the smallest trailer I could get to haul two one ton jeeps on?

Matt, I've got a 22' GN trailer for my rig... plenty of space not only for my rig, but gear, coolers, etc... or bringing an extra set of tires back from whereever I might be... I'd recommend it, it doesn't cost you much weight, it pulls better with the slightly longer wheelbase and there's always enough room for what you want (while still not having enough space for someone to put an extra rig on it, so you don't have to haul other people's crap around with you)

Mine is 18' Deckover and 4' Dove. Mine is a bumper pull but still deckover. It wasnt that much more money for the extra trailer and it pulls great. As far as the dovetail I would highly recommend going with 4'. Going only 2' will make it impossible to load anything but Tall Vehicles or tractors due to the breakover will be to much. Also it would make it hairy loading a tractor on the trailer. When I have hauled my dads tractor with Disc attached you have to use the steerng brakes due to the front raises up even with a 4' dovetail.

This is what I decided as of right now, 7X22ft (20ft deck + 2 ft dove) lowboy GN with diamond plate driveover fenders that have extra reinforcing in the skirt area. It was the exact same price as the 8x18 ft decover that I looked at and had 6ft more deck space. I guess it really was a no brainer when I started looking at the options. To get a 20ft deck in a deckover I would of had to get a 8x24ft which increased the price another $600, was not worth it for the extra foot. My feet fits on by 82 inch wide trailer now withouut having to drive on the fenders, I just tend to push the fender skirt out some with low pressure in the tires. This should be good.

I gotta do some measuring of the backspacing or something on my CJ....I'm way damn too wide....I sold my 84" lowboy GN because it wouldn't even come close to fitting between the rails.....looked like I needed at least 88". Course after I sold that trailer I had to use that money for Auburn or something equally as tragic and I still don't have another trailer! ::)

Sounds like you made a good decision. I wanted a lowrider when i bought mine except my Rig is to damn wide and I would have had to fabbed up some stuff to run over the fenders and didnt want that.

Matt you bought the exact trailer I will buy when I get a GN. I mean exact trailer I want. :flipper: You made a wise wise choice stepping up on the length. Just my opinion.

6uldv8 said:
I gotta do some measuring of the backspacing or something on my CJ....I'm way damn too wide....I sold my 84" lowboy GN because it wouldn't even come close to fitting between the rails.....looked like I needed at least 88". Course after I sold that trailer I had to use that money for Auburn or something equally as tragic and I still don't have another trailer! ::)

I have 5" or so of BS on my wheels so it is not that wide. I believe Brennan's is about the same width as mine also. That makes getting off and on trailers a little easier. I think I made a good decision and the price is too good to pass up. I should have it in two weeks or so, I am sending them my own LED's to use for lights!