• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailer Tie Down Methods (Best Practices)

Re: Trailer Tie Down Methods

al1tonyota said:
Maybe I'm just not seeing the magnitude of the situation but I've only used two straps one front one rear!? I go down through stake pockets and hook the strap from the top, even if the strap gets slack the hook can't come off. I've never had a strap break nor have I had a wreck while towing but after hauling 7-8 rigs and never having a problem I'll just keep on doing it my way! :flipoff1:

You may never have a problem, but definitely not best practice. This thread is about the best ways to do it, not my **** has never fallen off the trailer yet thread :flipoff1:

Re: Spin off of the tie down thread

So what are the laws for tying down a vehicle? Do they vary from state to state?
I just use a ratchet strap over each axle down to the corners of the trailer.
Maybe I need to look at other thread.... :dunno:

I heard that in AL it is one on each corner but I have no idea if that is accurate or not

and I have seen guys quads come off of a trailer b/c they weren't tied down

one guys came off the trailer b/c it was a small tilt trailer and he didn't put the pin back in!

In Alabama the laws are not very clear about what is actually supposed to be tied down and how it supposed to be tied down I do know that in Alabama a trooper told me that every wheel was supposed to have a strap/ chain and a tracked machine should be tied of at every corner and a strap on any type of arm/bucket to keep it attached to the trailer

Here's something I've always wondered:

Legislation aside, aren't you more likely to survive a catastrophic trailer wreck if everything goes flying the **** off as you wreck? I mean, it sucks to be a bystander in that case but when it comes right down to it, wouldn't you prefer them over you? Isn't it the same reason that race cars go flying to bits and pieces during their wrecks? Shedding mass = reducing momentum. I've seen several trailer wrecks on the side of the highway where the people probably would have been fine if the trailer or load just broke free. Instead it jack knifes and flips the tow rig.

True story: One time I was towing my buggy at 80mph on I85 through downtown Atl. In front of me is another truck pulling an enclosed trailer. In front of him is a little black guy in a Nissan Sentra. 5 lanes wide going our direction, we are all in the middle lane. Nissan-man slams his brakes on for no apparent reason. Full on emergency stop, tires smoking and everything. Needless to say, us two trucks behind him towing heavy trailers can't stop quite so fast, so we both throw our brakes on. All tires on both our rigs just engulf in smoke / ABS craziness and his trailer swings across the two lanes to the left while mine does the same to the right. Had we not both swung sideways we would have all collided. All 5 lanes go from 80mph to a dead stand-still in 5 seconds or less. The guy in the Nissan jumps out, runs across the 2 lanes to his left, and jumps up on the median wall with his chest, hangs there a second, and waves to a car headed the other direction on the other side of the median. He then jumps down, gets back in his Nissan, and drives off. I swear I thought my trailer was going to roll me. We all got lucky that day, its the closest to traffic death I've ever been. I actually had to buy new trailer tires afterwards because when they locked up it burnt a flat spot in all 4.

That's when I thought about the shedding mass theory. Had a wreck actually occurred it probably would have been better if my buggy and trailer just broke free and went on down the road. In that case there probably wouldn't even have been any bystanders.

I've also towed my goose neck in the past and looked at those puny little chains and u-bolts that are the supossed fail-safe. Has anyone ever actually broken the main ball and used those? They don't seem like they would hold a 30,000 lbs trailer on for even a brief moment to me!

patooyee said:
Here's something I've always wondered:

Legislation aside, aren't you more likely to survive a catastrophic trailer wreck if everything goes flying the **** off as you wreck? I mean, it sucks to be a bystander in that case but when it comes right down to it, wouldn't you prefer them over you? .......

But, what if someone going the other direction on the interstate has the same opinion and it crosses the median in front of your family.

My contribution to this thread is this; check you nuts that hold your hitch balls on. I have actually started doing this on every truck that comes in the shop and it is down right scarry how many are loose. That flimsy little lock nut is not going to eternally keep a ball from spinning when it has a ton of weight turning on it.

I use 2 straps on the rear axle going straight back and 2 on the front axle that go to the front corners of the trailer and I don't cross them. I use the tails to tie back to the rig or trailer so if a strap comes off it doesn't get lost or fly down the highway. I have angle iron rails about 12-16" up off the deck so the buggy isn't going to slide off the side.

I tie mine down to the tires. This is the way a lot of tow trucks would be strapping cars down at work. It would also make strapping two rigs down fairly easy.

IMG_0164.JPG

I saw a 18 foot bumper pull come off a truck one time in downtown Indianapolis several years ago. It bounced on the chains a couple of times before one of them broke, Then with only one chain holding it, it proceeded to beat the living piss out of the truck pulling it, it eventually broke the second chain and went to spinning like a top. All of this happened in the middle of rush hour traffic.

jta said:
I tie mine down to the tires. This is the way a lot of tow trucks would be strapping cars down at work. It would also make strapping two rigs down fairly easy.

IMG_0164.JPG
That is not the way them straps are made to work sorry not being a a_ hole but they go around and the buckle should be around the center of the tire close to the hub and the ratchet going slightly forward on the front and slightly towards the rear for the rear ones. Hope this helps for safer trips in the future

jp fan said:
That is not the way them straps are made to work sorry not being a a_ hole but they go around and the buckle should be around the center of the tire close to the hub and the ratchet going slightly forward on the front and slightly towards the rear for the rear ones. Hope this helps for safer trips in the future

These have been thousands of miles like that. If the front axle wasn't locked they would need to be like you say or probably with the straps through the wheels as I've done when I had the front drive shaft out.

JohnG said:
But, what if someone going the other direction on the interstate has the same opinion and it crosses the median in front of your family.

I wasn't saying that it was my opinion. I was just throwing it out there. You're more likely to survive if you shed weight / momentum quickly. Plus how would one strap something in in a way that it would come loose during a wreck but not every day towing? I'd rather die than any child, that should go without saying. But that day that guy in the Nissan did that **** I sure would liked to have seen both our trailers unlatch and just bore through him as painfully and terribly as possible. I would have preferred to get it on tape and watch it afterwards on repeat slow mo, post it on Youtube.

patooyee said:
I've also towed my goose neck in the past and looked at those puny little chains and u-bolts that are the supossed fail-safe. Has anyone ever actually broken the main ball and used those? They don't seem like they would hold a 30,000 lbs trailer on for even a brief moment to me!

On my gooseneck, I cut a small slit in the middle of the beam and shoved the biggest chain I could buy at the trailer store through it. It was more than double the size that came with it. I then slid a 1/2" grade 8 bolt through the chain and welded it to the inside of the beam. It may still kill a bus load of nuns, but it made me feel safer.

My new Dodge has a set of 1/4 turn fasteners for the hooks that are pure beef. They seem way more likely to hold than those tiny spring loaded U bolts most goosenecks use.

http://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck/Reese/RP30140.html

/hijack off

Re:

One thing I always consider is that if my rig ever did come off the trailer and kill someone there would be an investigation at the scene. If the cops see only 2 straps, one on the front and one on the back I would probably be calling a lawyer from prison. I always use 4 straps that way if one comes loose there's at least one more holding it till somewhat in place till I can get stopped if I notice it. I also do my best at driving to avoid getting any situation where I would need to do an emergency stop and I try and obey the speed limit. This all basically comes out of habit from driving commercial trucks because one accident in those and you can really be in trouble.

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
One thing I always consider is that if my rig ever did come off the trailer and kill someone there would be an investigation at the scene. If the cops see only 2 straps, one on the front and one on the back I would probably be calling a lawyer from prison. I always use 4 straps that way if one comes loose there's at least one more holding it till somewhat in place till I can get stopped if I notice it. I also do my best at driving to avoid getting any situation where I would need to do an emergency stop and I try and obey the speed limit. This all basically comes out of habit from driving commercial trucks because one accident in those and you can really be in trouble.

I normally drive below the speed limit when towing my buggy and I try to leave about 4x the amount of space between me and the car in front of me as I normally would when I'm not towing. I try not to text or mess with my cell phone when driving every day, but when I'm towing you can forget about reaching me via text until I'm stopped because its 100% not going to happen.

The pics that people post on pirate of their speedo pegged at 120mph with a goose and 2 rigs in the side view mirror are insane IMO.

I use 4 chains, one on each corner of the axles, don't cross them, with the threaded rod-type chain binders, not the lever ones. Always have done it this way, see no reason to change. If I found straps that I felt safe with though I would do it with them because chains are heavy, dirty, and noisy and the binders are not as easy as the ratchets.

Towing an open deck always had me nervous about my rig sliding off the side since there's only about 3" between my tire and the edge. Especially when it's wet out. I screwed a 12" 2x4 on the deck just outside of each tire. I know it's only 1 1/2" high but it's better than nothing and if it can hop over a 2x4 then I've got bigger problems. I also use Mac's on each corner pulling straight. The new ratchets they have are tits. I can get so much pull out of them that it feels like it's gonna rip the axles out.

Beerj said:
The new ratchets they have are tits.

Do they ratchet 180 degrees? It appears so in the videos. Mine pulls about 120 degrees, which means more ratchets to get them tight.

Also, I loaded the 38 in the trailer today and thought about the 2 full wraps. While, I had been getting what I thought was a good wrap, I now see I normally only do 1 full wrap. I have learned from this thread.