• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailing arm suspensions??

xjpaddler

Anyone have pics of some trailing arm set ups??

And what is the pros and cons over the typical over the axle shock mounts?
I know you can get more travel with less shock length, but what are other advantages?

Re: Re: Trailing arm suspensions??

I think there are more cons than pros for your "normal" build.

More complicated links
More complicated shock mounting

Pros I would say,

Better able to protect shocks in the chassis
More wheel travel with shorter shocks (less shaft velocity, but you have to valve heavier)
Strong bend-proof lower links (if built right)

Thanks for a response nick! I agree more complicated, but that im not worried about. Ive been looking at a lot of the u4 rigs and its interesting to see that some run this set up and some do not. Most all if the ifs cars ive seen run it. And some of the solid front axle rigs do. The mounting at the chassis side would lend it self to the style im wanting to build for my next rig.

TBItoy said:
I think there are more cons than pros for your "normal" build.

More complicated links
More complicated shock mounting

Pros I would say,

Better able to protect shocks in the chassis
More wheel travel with shorter shocks (less shaft velocity, but you have to valve heavier)
Strong bend-proof lower links (if built right)

Nice post....

This is great for a go fast situation, if your not so much worried about ground clearance. Most people on red dirt have issues with rock trails. A trailing arm setup should be designed to lower the center of gravity in a vehicle and this in turn allows you to run a shorter shock. Even the upper shock mounts are lower. All of the effort put towards moving the weight towards the center of the vehicle and as low as possible can be seen on many desert vehicles. Given, that may have been said already but who wants to run a 28 inch shock....

While you think about your suspension setup, I'd say focus on what type of trails your going to run 80% of the time.

Dynamite Design said:
Nice post....

This is great for a go fast situation, if your not so much worried about ground clearance. Most people on red dirt have issues with rock trails. A trailing arm setup should be designed to lower the center of gravity in a vehicle and this in turn allows you to run a shorter shock. Even the upper shock mounts are lower. All of the effort put towards moving the weight towards the center of the vehicle and as low as possible can be seen on many desert vehicles. Given, that may have been said already but who wants to run a 28 inch shock....

While you think about your suspension setup, I'd say focus on what type of trails your going to run 80% of the time.

Thank you sir!!! So far i agree with everything that has been said. I am really leaning more and more towards this set up. I think it will lend itself to the lines i am looking for in a rig as well.

Neal it is setting to the side. Plans changed several times, and then life happened!!! At some point we should start working on it agin. At this time i am almost ready for tear down and paint on the gilberts rig.

I hope to build my own rig agin someday:/

Just trying to have a clear route when the time comes.