• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tree id

Beerj

Sonzabitches!
This might be a tough one without pics but some of you guys might know what I'm talking about.
I've seen these trees along some highways in VA and NC. This time of year they've got pink flowers. Closest thing I could find that looked like them was a Persian Silk Tree, also known as a Mimosa. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Would love to get one for the yard. Thanks

patooyee said:
The Boss would know. He knows every plant in the US.

Ha. Not quite, but if it lives in Northwest Florida there is a pretty good chance. Don't know ornamentals unless they are invasive.

I would honestly have to see a few good pictures. Not sure what is flowering pink now up in VA and NC.
http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/29
If it is a mimosa, they are easy to identify. They make a good summer shade tree. However, they are invasive and can make a mess shedding the flowers.

Thanks guys. Looks like it is mimosa. It would make sense that they're nothing special since they grow wild along the roads. Looks like they're pretty invasive and the seed pods will make a mess. Too bad, they really do look nice.

They will take over if not cut down and kill the root while small, there root system is wild and the root will grow right below the ground level and will travel long distances

kmcminn said:
In North AL they are junk trees they grow in clear cuts and right of ways. I have never heard of anyone planting them. The Kudzu of Trees.

I hate those freaking trees, they can grow pretty big and the wood is weak, breaks easy in high wind

Don't know anything about trees but my wife was asking the same question here in Tennessee. Never got a good answer, but, someone suggested redbud tree :dunno:

kmcminn said:
In North AL they are junk trees they grow in clear cuts and right of ways. I have never heard of anyone planting them. The Kudzu of Trees.

Amen! I hate them , got one in my hedgerow that hides my dumbass neighbors house that came up wild I guess and you can't kill the bastard, cut it down and it grows back, WITH QUICKNESS! :****:

If you want to kill that tree, the next time you cut it down mix up a little Round Up with some dish soap and dob it onto the stump. It may take a couple of applications but it will kill it. If you know a farmer near you get a cup or so of his Round Up, it is not what you buy at Lowes. To avoid killing close by plants dip a rag into your solution and only apply to the freshly stumped tree. RTR

mna0121 said:
If you want to kill that tree, the next time you cut it down mix up a little Round Up with some dish soap and dob it onto the stump. It may take a couple of applications but it will kill it. If you know a farmer near you get a cup or so of his Round Up, it is not what you buy at Lowes. To avoid killing close by plants dip a rag into your solution and only apply to the freshly stumped tree. RTR

If you use this method do it immediately after cutting the tree to allow the herbicide translocation into the roots. If the surface dries you won't be doing much. The active ingredient in Roundup is Glyphosate and their patient has long expired. All Glyphosate generally works the same by stopping photosynthesis and turning day into night 24-7 essentially. Concentrations do vary. Go high as you can get on a stump but follow directions on a foliar application. If it doesn't include a surfactant then soap can be used as one. It is not a soil active herbicide but mist can float in the air and kill plants nearby as MNA0121 mentioned.

blacksheep10 said:
does tordon RTU not do it?

Im not very familiar with Tordon but probably would work better than glyphosate on a stump, as would a few others. However, it is soil active, so nearby trees could be killed and some chemicals can remain active in the soil for a while. Not always a bad thing though.

The-Boss said:
If you use this method do it immediately after cutting the tree to allow the herbicide translocation into the roots. If the surface dries you won't be doing much. The active ingredient in Roundup is Glyphosate and their patient has long expired. All Glyphosate generally works the same by stopping photosynthesis and turning day into night 24-7 essentially. Concentrations do vary. Go high as you can get on a stump but follow directions on a foliar application. If it doesn't include a surfactant then soap can be used as one. It is not a soil active herbicide but mist can float in the air and kill plants nearby as MNA0121 mentioned.

The-Boss said:
Im not very familiar with Tordon but probably would work better than glyphosate on a stump, as would a few others. However, it is soil active, so nearby trees could be killed and some chemicals can remain active in the soil for a while. Not always a bad thing though.

Tordon also has a cut label that you can brush it on a cut tree and it will kill it. Glyphosate will not do anything to a cured (woody) plant or stump. Nice to know there are some fellow chemical guys out here.

I was in Agri Supply the other day and a guy walked up to a counter asking if he could use their "Gly Star Plus" to paint on stumps. I was minding my own business looking for some parts, but when the idiots behind the counter continued to fumble around trying to answer the question I had to step in. At first they all looked at me like who the hell are you, but after I started laying it out for them they all shut up and walked away leaving me talking to the customer...lol.

In any case he go the answer he needed and hopefully he followed my recommendations. Most landowners I work with let the part about applying it AS SOON AS ITS CUT part fly right in one ear and out the other. All they hear is "itll kill it"