• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

triangulating shocks on toy

dove'd85

well since i put my buggy leaf and waggy spings on i haven't remounted my shocks, how should i go about triangulating them? what angle should the shocks be at? pics and demension please thanks

james

I'll have to dig out one of my chassis books, but it has a table showing the % effectiveness of different mounting angles. But definitely keep them as vertical as possible as Crash said. Don't do the 45 degree angle in at the top crap.

Shocks should go as far outboard as possible, and as close to vertical as possible. The only valid reason to deviate from that is because they just won't fit.

People do it because somebody said it was cool to do...
However you do lose effectiveness the more angle you have.
Stock toys came with one pointed forward a tad on one side and back on the other to help with axle wrap, but only a little angle.

Oh yea, and sure, look at all the pics you want, its a free country....

Kind of...

so should i mount them both virtical on top of the housing or in front or behind? also should i mount them as wide as possible? both facing forward or back wards? also i want to set these up so i can still get the most drop out of my buggy leaf and not bottom out the shock on the collapsed side?

james

Just don't mount them below the housing or you'll hang up on everything. Front or back of housing, or up top, is up to you depending on how much room you have. Wide as possible, outboard of the springs if possible.

If you want full suspension travel then make sure your shocks can handle the travel and then some, and then don't mount them wrong :flipoff:

no way for my to mount them outboard the springs my tires flex and rub my frame as it is if there was a shock in there i would tear it off. thanks for the info i will mount it how i think it should be then post one thanks

james

If you want to make sure you get the most flex out of the rig, you will need to drive it up a ramp or something else that would do the same thing. Then take measurements to figure out what length and location of shocks.

I have a toyota with the rear shocks "triangulated". I realize that they become less and less effictive the more you angle them. However, i didn't do it for coolness. I did it so i could still fit long shocks under my truck without cutting holes in my bed. Even though the shocks are less effictive the way i have them set up at least its better than no shocks at all.

Ramp it. see what your max compression is. set the shock up accordling inboarding the upper as need be and be done. its a shock not rocket science :D