• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trick Welding Tables

dammit why can't i post pics:mad:

i made a welding table a couple years ago, 3x4 box frame 1/4 top, removable vice, 110v outlet with 30 foot extension cord, on 4 lockable casters. i want to add a 220v outlet but for now i have a 50-60 foot extension cord with 220 ends and a nice half moon holding it in place, i never thought to drill and tap the top for hold downs though that is a great idea:D also mounted my tub notcher to the side of it, it's 4x4 i wish i would have made it 3x8 and alittle lower.

My table is 5x5 with a 4 plug 110v setup, a 6" vice on one corner and a lay down belt sander on another. could go for bigger but I work efficiently off of it.

I have the hardest time keeping steady/ keeping a straight bead, so mine has slideout arm rests. Nothing fancy, just some 1" square tube. :awesomework:

Here are mine :fawkdancesmiley::fawkdancesmiley:

1023091253.jpg

1023091252.jpg

Well I dont do a lot of heavy welding, but it does hold up to a lot work. Its built with 1" x 1" square tubing angle iron and expanded metal for the top. Evetually it will have a drawer under the top to catch all the crude for easy clean up. The picture isnt real good for showing the table.
IMG_1277.jpg

Protip: If you do branch 110v circuits off a 220v circuit, make sure you do it with a 4-conductor cable.
New code would make that a 5-wire cord.

If you share the neutral (which you would with a 4-wire cord and two circuits) the breakers feeding them need to be tied together or be a 2-pole breaker. If you want them truly separate, each circuit needs its own neutral.

That way you HAVE to kill BOTH circuits at the same time, so their is no chance of any current on that neutral. Stupid rule and I don't like it, but it got passed in the last code revision and will be there to stay till someone can convince people to remove it (not likely).

New code would make that a 5-wire cord.

If you share the neutral (which you would with a 4-wire cord and two circuits) the breakers feeding them need to be tied together or be a 2-pole breaker. If you want them truly separate, each circuit needs its own neutral.

That way you HAVE to kill BOTH circuits at the same time, so their is no chance of any current on that neutral. Stupid rule and I don't like it, but it got passed in the last code revision and will be there to stay till someone can convince people to remove it (not likely).

Ah, someone that knows more than me. Thanks for chiming in.

That does make some sense though. I've known that the 4-conductor system, if used in the aforementioned way, does leave open the possibility of a dangerous situation occurring. But, I always figured it was one of those one in a trillion scenarios that could only happen on paper. Ya know... like a passenger jet losing thrust from both engines because of a flock of birds and landing in the Hudson. :fawkdancesmiley:

I'll be usin this thread as I am just preppin a bunch of 2x2 for a frame to start off with.

Since I only a 22x24 to work with, I still not sure how big/small to go with, would like big enough to possibly do a Sami sized buggy down the road but small enough to tuck in the corner. 3x4?

Will be on casters but will have the HD screw down legs to become level when I need it.

Floyd's had some used 5'X5' cast fab tables laying out back. I picked one up for my shop at work (awesome). 2" thick with a 2" square grid. I cut up some old 8" spreader pipe for legs. I can put a 1500lb Exc. bucket on it and not have to bend over to hardface (sweet). Mounted a 8" vice to a piece of 2" hitch stock and can drop it in anywhere I need.

Floyd's had some used 5'X5' cast fab tables laying out back. I picked one up for my shop at work (awesome). 2" thick with a 2" square grid. I cut up some old 8" spreader pipe for legs. I can put a 1500lb Exc. bucket on it and not have to bend over to hardface (sweet). Mounted a 8" vice to a piece of 2" hitch stock and can drop it in anywhere I need.

How much$? Are they beat to hell? and what do you think one ways. I've been looking for an old school acorn style table for a long time.

How much$? Are they beat to hell? and what do you think one ways. I've been looking for an old school acorn style table for a long time.
X2

where is Floyds? This is he second thread today I've seen them mentioned.... (google here I come)

I decided to use up what I have in the Scrap bin, goin with 34x48. Hope I can find some 3/4 or 1" plate for cheap!

X2

where is Floyds? This is he second thread today I've seen them mentioned.... (google here I come)

Floyds/Interwest Metals is in Fife. Its on pacific hiway/Hwy99 as close to the bridge going into Tacoma as you can get. If coming over the bridge from the Tacoma side its the first biz on the right after crossing the bridge.

He has cool stuff. Talk to his kid for a better deal. I like the kid he is easy to deal with. The ol man is a little stiff on dealing as much.

not so trick, but i figure if ima learn how to fab i better start with a table.
free steel from a huge rack at the local fed-ex.......
and recycled 1/2 plate (two pieces unfortunately)

it is pretty damn flat, with in a 16th all around.you think that is flat enough?i mean, i/m not buildin pianos right:redneck:
it will remain stationary right now, i will be looking for some adjustable casters over the next couple of months.no wwork is the suck for money!:haha:

but i was able to get this done, so fabbing on the rig will start as soon as i get some more metal........

so far i have started making the hydraulic adapter for the bender, the dies should be here next week.

it is not fancy, but i think it is a good start.my brother(a union ironworker) said it was a piece of ****, but he is a snob ....he said my welds were good , he just did not like the design(i inadvertantly log cabined it, as i am use to this from form building that we do at work(i am a union cement finisher))....
anyways, enough babble.....

oh and thanks to all that answer my silly questions, this is really all new to me(fabrication in general)so thanks in advance

cheers, brian

it is 40x66 , i may keep this one off of rollers and build a shorter one on rollers for chassis work...who knows..

IMG_3606.jpg

and the shittiest smalles piece of **** garage you ever did see.....i can't even pull a lifted subaru in there:looser:
IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3608.jpg