• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Truggy Questions

ecsong187

Im planning on building my 85 k5 into a truggy. who has experience? should i look for an 80s pickup cab to throw on the frame?
thanks
edwin song

blah.. just do it the easy way.. cut off everything from the firewall back.. And narrow the front.. then add a whole bunch of tubing.. Wala! you're in business

Get an S-10 cab it gives you a little more room on the trail, I wish I'd done that sometimes.

thanks for the input guys. im still not sure if i should do the s-10 cab or just cut pretty much everything off and use lots of tube. anyone know and good sites with buildups on them?
thanks
edwin song

thanks ill check that site out. how do truggys handle mud? some people have told me that if i want to do lots of mud but some trails too. that i should waste my time on a truggy and just strip everything off the k5 to make it light?
thanks
edwin song

They do alot better than most huge trucks with 20 inches of lift and pretty wheels could ever dream of doing. Your already gonna strip a bunch of things to make a "truggy" so it will be a lighter body, but using a fullsize your gonna want to beef up everything else so it will survive, which adds weight again. If you want to do well in mud, run as much horsepower as you can and some big ass tires, nothin else really matters in mud.

edwin lets just cut the front and back and dove tail both ends and tube it out it will be all good :fawkdancesmiley: i got the sawzel sittin on the back of my truck right now :awesomework:

Well I guess everything also depends on driving it there or trailer queen it! Thats another thing your going to have to make sure that its street legal if your going to drive it.. Id dovetail it remove top,doors,tailgate, and cut for big tires and then it would still be street legal.. Then later when you can trailer it make a truggy. Because its alot of work.. But to each his own.. I personally dont want to go that far as of yet because mine isnt going to be on a trailer..

Just totaly ditch the body if its trailer only. Build a tube cage add some skins, keep it narrow and you'll be having fun.

And it'll give you some practice for when you build a new from scratch buggy.

Just totaly ditch the body if its trailer only. Build a tube cage add some skins, keep it narrow and you'll be having fun.

And it'll give you some practice for when you build a new from scratch buggy.

X2 just keep your steering column and ditch everything and bend tube. If not then make sure you boat side the thing and dove tail it make it nice and narrow everywhere yoou can!

Good luck!

I say make it a full bodied truggy. Still have fenders, doors, top all of that stuff. Just 4 link it, coilovers, comp cut the fenders and run big tires!
Cory,