• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TTB vehicle or an XJ

jakes89f150

Ok well im debating what i want to do, i have a buddy with a jeep XJ, cant remember the year but its in the 80s, it has a 2.5l and a manual.

anyway id kinda like to know my options when it comes to parts, do i keep the stock axles, do i have to go something bigger, what motors drop in fairly easy?
anything relavant please let me know, i know nothing about the XJ, or jeep for that matter...

anyway TTB
ive heard from a few people that i should use my truck as a tow rig and get something else to off road because the TTB wont flex enough, ive also heard that with some fairly easy mods (longer radius bars, removed antisway, shocks, and shims under springs) that you can get alot of travel out of them...
Im not up to changing the shock mounting points unless someone can show me where and show me how to do it...

Again any info please.
My plans would be 4.88's powertraxs lockright lockers front and rear, and 6inch lift.

Forget that XJ. You literally have to throw away everything but the body and start over. Then after wheeling it a while you'll have to throw the body away after it rips apart and look for a vehicle with a frame to swap the drive train into.

Look for a compact rig to wheel. The trails around here are not fullsize friendly.

If you want to wheel something, I would suggest a 93-97 Ranger with a manual trans and manual transfer case, if you wanted a non jeep vehicle.

TTB can be made to travel well, and it's great if you want to jump or do high speed baja type stuff. It can be made to work better on rocks and trails through softer springs, longer radius arms and shocks to allow it to articulate, but it's not the same as a solid axle that has a leverage effect.

I agree. Keep the TTB for towing and get a trail compatable rig for wheeling. Forget the xj, get a frame.

The cheapest way into this is to buy a rig already complete, there are enough around for 7-12k that have more than that in parts.