• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tuber tech

Dude said:
here is a link on how to go about building a tuber. You can also braze or tack one together but than you have to clean up the joints. The silver solder flows really nice if you know how to use it, but it is spendy for what you get because of the high silver content.

Here is the link, enjoy.
http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk6/rcstuff/tubefab/tubefab.htm

I played with tube today :D I need to get a smaller top though but I think I did some decent work....

I waisted a roll of silver solder on my brass bumper :rolleyes: . To bad I change my mind and am changing the design. I used my 80 watt soldering iron but going to buy a mapp torch to build the chassis for my scale rig. I plan to use piano wire most likely since I'm not a fan of brake tubing lol.

Here is what I did today :redneck:

Attachments

• mini67.jpg
    mini67.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 145
Looks good I went out and bought some tubing the realized when I got home I forgot to get a small tube bender :rolleyes: . Now I'm to lazy to go get one.

ManiacMagoo said:
Looks good I went out and bought some tubing the realized when I got home I forgot to get a small tube bender :rolleyes: . Now I'm to lazy to go get one.

KInda like going to the bathroom without TP :redneck:

I braized it doug. I will play more with the tip and see if I can make that work. Not used to doing something sooo small and light aposed to what I normally do,lol....

ManiacMagoo said:
I waisted a roll of silver solder on my brass bumper :rolleyes: . To bad I change my mind and am changing the design. I used my 80 watt soldering iron but going to buy a mapp torch to build the chassis for my scale rig. I plan to use piano wire most likely since I'm not a fan of brake tubing lol.
You need a Ox/Acyt set for silver solder, there is different grades that flow at different temperatures.

I would just use mild steel 3/16" or 1/4" round stock. It is a good way to learn if you are a beginner and you can tack it together with a small 110v welder, you can find those for cheap used. Or you could just braze it together.

crash said:
KInda like going to the bathroom without TP :redneck:

I braized it doug. I will play more with the tip and see if I can make that work. Not used to doing something sooo small and light aposed to what I normally do,lol....
Damn, you can get the flow on. :super:

Tig welding the little stuff is all I did at Allied when I worked there the last 5 years. You want to use 1/16 2% tungsten and play around 35 to 45 amps. Run a post flow @ around 10 seconds to keep the tip nice and have at it.

Also get a #5 cup with a screen so you can hang the tungsten out a little more than usual so it is easy to see what you are doing and get longer weld travel times.

When my wife gets back from Basic and AIT in August after we move I will be getting a tig to play with so might just hold off on my scale build till then.

landbruiser1 said:
Geez crash, every piece of tubing you touch, you wind up turning it into a piece of art. Great work as usual coming out of that shop.

It was funny. I sat there yesterday morning thinking to myself I was going to throw a couple decent bumpers together. Well that just didn't work out. I think a comment I get yesterday-- "do you do anything easy"

nope :D

roccrawler said:
looks good crash

Are you hitting that point too troy--these small things are getting harder to see,lol. Its sad I had to really focus on these small parts :D

mikey you gonna run that thing at goldendale? there are looking for RC crawlers..