• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tubes in worn out red labels?

LandSpeeder

King of the Bammers
Alright folks. lemme hear the nays or yeas.
I have a set of clapped out red labels. Two are not holding air, and pretty sure all have been galvanized, a few times. And one is leaking through the cracks that all red labels get. Would tubes work? and to what degree and what would I be having to watch out for if I went to tubes?

It's this junk in the pic, so the tire won't be slippin since it's on beadlocks:

12339222_10153742893327421_6490668664970052398_o.jpg

And if so... where in the bham area can I get tubes??

Tubes work in tractor tires so I don't know what they wouldn't in reds? :dunno:

Edit, ever thought about slime?

I think most tractor supply stores have them, my local one carries stuff up to around 40". I run tubes in the little swampers on the shop sketchy truck. Only issue so far was ripping a valve stem, doubt that will be an issue with the beadlock rings tho.

Yeah I could see them slipping with non-beadlocks.
Do they not have metal valve stems available? And if not, could I throw a metal valve stem extender on it to "lock" it to the rim hole?

image_538876047e10d_1.jpeg

Slime won't slow down a 30 minute leak down but will possibly stop on the one day tire. With the 8-10 psi, I would think the tube would work great.

I'm not sure if you could find them with a metal stem. I don't think it was the tire slipping that ripped it, they act like an inner air lock like the stauns on the little swampers. I had it over on its side and it got smashed into some roots or something and tore it off from the outside.

We just put around a half gallon of slime in each of 2 of my friends krawlers leaking from the cracks. So far they're holding. They're going to get a beatdown this coming wknd at trail pressure, I'll try to remember to report back. I keep a couple tubes in the tow rig for mine, don't recall what size they are at the moment.

Slime works wonders on a trail rig tire I use it in mine.. it does bring the suck when it comes time to remove the tires from the rims be sure and have a water hose handy!!

Well, the holes aren't because they rusted out, being galvanized and all. molaugh

I can get tubes, just haven't had a chance to call yet. I will monday.

grcthird said:
Well, the holes aren't because they rusted out, being galvanized and all. molaugh

I wondered when someone was going to say that molaugh

As for the question about them hooking when dry and cracking, I had a set that were pretty old, they worked just as well after the cracking started.

I'd try a quart to half gallon of slime (or other atv tire sealant) in each.

Fixed my old dry rotted cracked and holey Iroks right up.

If you run tubes, put baby powder in with them. We did that in slicks. When they wrinkle from low air pressure, they will slide inside the tire and not stay creased.