• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tubes in worn out red labels?

DirtMonkey said:
I wondered when someone was going to say that molaugh

As for the question about them hooking when dry and cracking, I had a set that were pretty old, they worked just as well after the cracking started.

I'm sure several folks thought it would be me! :stir:

Tubes work great as long as you don't try and air down a lot which red labels seem to do good at higher psi anyways?

Why would galvanized be such a far stretch? I see a lot mothfuckals out there on wooden tires! Tryin to burn down boat ramp! Cable hill... SumbitchIsOak

Both of my rear tires run tubes, and have for several years. I keep them around 12 psi and have never had an issue on the trail. The only time so far one popped, was a few weeks ago on the dyno. I guess the colder Temps caused them to drop to 4 psi, and the added stress of strapping on the dyno it let go on a pull. Grabbed another tube from tractor supply and had it ready for the shakedown run. My Trail Readys have been broken in pieces and welded back together several times and no longer hold air, along with those fancy new galvanized tires. So tubes are cheaper than new rims and throwing away an 80% pair of reds...

LandSpeeder said:
Yeah I could see them slipping with non-beadlocks.
Do they not have metal valve stems available? And if not, could I throw a metal valve stem extender on it to "lock" it to the rim hole?

image_538876047e10d_1.jpeg

This is the tube I run in mine. The biggest issue is the valve stem wants to pull back into the wheel unless you have the hole drilled dead center of the wheel. You can either add these to have something to hold, or squeeze it with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I don't know why I didn't notice this, but wanna trade? I've got 4 that hold air really well, with much, much less tread. :flipoff1:

I am guessing mine are getting close to wanting to leak down too.

We use Liquitube at work, it makes slime look like a joke. Not cheap but works. I've watched slime just squirt right out of a hole that this stuff seals almost instantly.

https://liquitube.com/

Craig_c said:
We use Liquitube at work, it makes slime look like a joke. Not cheap but works. I've watched slime just squirt right out of a hole that this stuff seals almost instantly.

https://liquitube.com/

Awe shunt. It don't look too expensive. Cheaper than tubes.
How much do you put in a 40" tire?
I may try this

There's a chart with tire size vs speed that may be on their website. We get it in 5 gallon buckets for around $230 I think. Then you buy a pump that goes in the bucket. We put around 50oz in a 235/75r16 trailer tire. Before using this we was plugging tires on a daily basis, now we pretty much can run the tires till their bald and never touch them.

Eddyj said:
Update...

Patched... both. One holds decent. The biggest one needs a bigger patch. I'll put it on this week sometime before the HL ride. The patches were cheap. The tires were cheap. It's fun, so I ain't out nothing.

The tubes... junk. They're both hanging busted on the shop wall... I think they coulda worked had I had a good valve hole... but I'm not willing to drill a center hole in to my alloy wheels right now... I'll two new red labels before I do that... But I gotta buy a trailer before I buy $1100 worth of dig tars.

12670567_10153894783637421_322690302930011774_n.jpg

12647035_10153894783662421_4537462312885348742_n.jpg

If you se in the pics... I din't use nearly enough vulcanizing cement on this first one. The videos and instructions to not let it pool-up when applying. I took it to heart and didn't use enough... I know now, it's needs more... but just don't use so much that it won't dry in ten minutes.
Like I said, it's been a fun learning project. If they end up never working... I'll chalk it up in the "I ain't good at" column of my life and move on. LOL.

I it works you going to have people lined up. Bringing you all the sushi you can eat to patch tires. It's hard to tell did ou try to patch sidewall?

Dale yeah! Drove from the top of spectator 2 at boatramp to the parking lot like that... Bent the wheel and it went flat. Aired it back up but I think it also tore the tire on impact. Had air in it and burped it every rotation till it lost all the air and was torn. Spare tire down... Gotta get the good krawler vulcanized or put a patch in it.