• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tubing beaders

CrustyJeep

hmmmm, You buy that fancy schmancy tubin' tool, and it won't do what ya' need. Sounds like a rip off. I'll take that hunk of junk for ya, and give ya' 10 cents on the dolla'. How's about it, Crusty?

TreeClimber said:
hmmmm, You buy that fancy schmancy tubin' tool, and it won't do what ya' need. Sounds like a rip off. I'll take that hunk of junk for ya, and give ya' 10 cents on the dolla'. How's about it, Crusty?
Aaaaaactually, I think I might be able to use the GM fuel line crimp dies to sort of "fake" a bead. I suspect that if I just start the crimp without going all the way, the shape will resemble a bead. Trouble is, it would be tough to get it right reliably.

And no, nobody gets to touch my fancy pants flare machine :flipoff: Besides, it is now covered in DNA, so nobody will want to anyway.

Just put a slight flair in the end of the tube. That should provide a lip for the joze clamp to hit.

CrustyJeep said:
Does anybody know how to put a "bead" on the end of a piece of tubing? I am referring to the little "bubble" on the end of the tube that keeps a hose from slipping off.

I found these:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294925139+4294925137+115+4294803499

But they only go down to 3/8", and I need to bead some 5/16" tube. Other options? Could a hydraulic shop do such things for cheap?

Perhaps I misunderstand what you are trying to do... but what about laying a bead of weld around the tube? Or, finding another piece of tube with an I/D of 5/16", and slice off a 1/4" piece and weld it on?

Outback said:
Well, this tool has paid for itself over and over... but, not cheap.
http://vansantent.com/bead_tool.htm
Nice, but ouchy!

OK I tried the new flare tool. The GM fuel line die set worked like a charm. I screwed the thing down until the die hit tube, then gave it eight pumps of the ram. Looks professional. I'll get a pic of tomorrow.

:D

I don't need no steenking tubing beader :flipoff:

DSC00315.jpg