• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tubing Notcher

I have the Pro Tools notcher. If I were to buy again, I would use what Adam Woodlee uses. I don't remember the name, perhaps he will see the thread.

I have a handful of various ways to notchtube.

The way I got most proficient....Port-A-Band/Sharpie/FlapDisc, its fast, but not super accurate. If you arent TIG'ing or dont HAVE to have a perfect cope then its a good way.

I have the Pro-tools. It's rarely used for anything it can do you can do quicker with a Port-A-Band/Sharpie/FlapDisc. Mount it horizontal on a workbench and leave a 1/2" drill permanently attached! In a Drill press it sucks. Its going to eat holesaws, and its kinda hard to get prefect copes as it always seems to get a lot of deflection for me.
G.gif

I got a JD2 NotchMaster a while back, and its tits!!! Handdown my favorite way to perfectly cope some tube.
notchmaster.jpg

And to go with the Notchmaster I got a "Notching Buddy" rig from Medfood tools. Its just a collection of various jigs for helping you hold tube to your notcher for angles your notcher shouldn't do. Such as off angle in a bend.
Here it is with the Notchmaster attached. I'm not going to say I love this, but it saves a ton of trial and error and you still end up with a PERFECT cope vs. how I would usually do in the bend notches (Port-A-Band/Sharpie/FlapDisc, then fill the gap with MIG wire)
notchingbuddy_notchmaster_s.jpg

And lastly I havent set it up yet, but I bought a new Torchmate table and it has the Tubing Notcher attachement. So perfect plasma cut copes.......
Torchmate Tube and Pipe Cutting Attachment using Plate Marker

I've used several types of regular notchers and now I'm using an old j head bridge port milling machine with a big corn cobb end mill, this is by far the quickest and easiest way to go.

I really like this one from Baileigh You can notch 1 - 2 1/2 inch OD. It Has 230deg of angle adjustment , and can also offset 1 inch vertically , and uses 3 inch deep hole saws so you can make one pass instead of cutting part of the way threw and then stopping and breaking the piece out so you can continue .

notcher.gif

Thanks for all the ideas now i guess it depends on how much i want to spend and how much i will be doing with it. Thanks again :dblthumb:

Latest posts