• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tundra & slide in campers?

bent

I want to buy a New Tundra and I've looked at campers to throw on one. I know I'd be over loading it but I want a Toyota! Anyone what to throw in their 2 cents?

Buy a real truck :haha:

If I was buying new i'd go with a dually being I knew I'd want a camper on it. I've certainly hauled one on mine a few times though. But why do you think you'd be overloading it? The toyota should be able to handle a lighter 6-8 foot Lance or something similar with no troubles.

My brother in law bought a brand new Tundra....Sweet truck! I thought to myself "if it would tow my toy hauler I would buy one too."

Payload is only 1650 and I want a self contained camper. Wet and loaded I'm prolly pushing 2000 or a little more. I drove a Tundra today and I don't think I'll have any trouble with power. I'm pulling my 1700 car trailer & 5,000 pound wheeler too.
I've always owned Toyotas and nothing else and all 7 of them have been damn good cars and trucks.

I have a 07 Tundra with the 5.7 and it tows my 26' TT just fine. It also tows the Jeep on a 16" cartrailer smooth as well. I don't know about adding a camper to the mix. Either one would be fine but combined might be too much. I would put on airbags and some D or E rated tires. It will move it down the road but that is a lot of weight to be dragging around. I think your gas mileage would be terrible. I get about 10 when I tow my TT or the Jeep. I think you should go Diesel for that combo. Toyota is supposed to have a HD diesel out in a few years if you can wait. If/when they do I will be waiting inline to trade.

Mark

Payload is only 1650 and I want a self contained camper. Wet and loaded I'm prolly pushing 2000 or a little more. I drove a Tundra today and I don't think I'll have any trouble with power. I'm pulling my 1700 car trailer & 5,000 pound wheeler too.
I've always owned Toyotas and nothing else and all 7 of them have been damn good cars and trucks.

If you do some research, there are campers specifically designed for this size rig---IIRC they weigh in at around 1000-1100 dry... albeit they are somewhat spendy!

I have a 07 Tundra with the 5.7 and it tows my 26' TT just fine. It also tows the Jeep on a 16" cartrailer smooth as well. I don't know about adding a camper to the mix. Either one would be fine but combined might be too much. I would put on airbags and some D or E rated tires. It will move it down the road but that is a lot of weight to be dragging around. I think your gas mileage would be terrible. I get about 10 when I tow my TT or the Jeep. I think you should go Diesel for that combo. Toyota is supposed to have a HD diesel out in a few years if you can wait. If/when they do I will be waiting inline to trade.

Mark

holy crap. I didn't know they were down there that far..

I know I'd need to beef it up with air bags and maybe a sway bar. I'm not affraid to overload it because I know the way I drive and I'm not looking to race anyone. Do you think power would be an issue? I'm not looking for the best mileage I can find, I just want the dependability, non of these big dollar item repairs I hear about in other trucks. I know it is not like that "always" but with my luck I'd get one that does. :corn:

you'd have plenty of power for it. Airbags will certainly help control the load no matter what truck you buy. D rated tires will be fine. But when it comes time to swap tires and you want a little more stability run some E's. But I wouldn't be concerned about it right off the bat.

If you do some research, there are campers specifically designed for this size rig---IIRC they weigh in at around 1000-1100 dry... albeit they are somewhat spendy!

I've looked all day. I've been on line and went to several dealers today and being self contained I found nothing under 1500lbs dry. The pop ups are kinda cool but I can't find one self contained.

I have airbags and E rated tires on mine. I think the power will be fine. I can tow the Jeep over Chinook Pass and can't even tell I'm towing it. Just make sure you have a good brake controller. I am using a Tekonsha Prodigy P3. The brakes on the Tundra are huge, it stops on a dime. I would say to try and find the lightest camper you can. Also the 6 speed tranny with the man. mode is sweet. Make sure you get one with the towing package. Comes with tow mirrors, tranny cooler and heater. 4.30 gears and all the trailer wiring and the tow/haul button.

Mark

you'd have plenty of power for it. Airbags will certainly help control the load no matter what truck you buy. D rated tires will be fine. But when it comes time to swap tires and you want a little more stability run some E's. But I wouldn't be concerned about it right off the bat.

Cool.. I'm glad people don't think I'm nuts. That truck does have alot of balls I really didn't think I'd have much issue there. I guess I am a little nuts though because I pull my wheeler right now with my 02 Tacoma on a 14' car trailer. The truck knows its back there but it pulls it just fine with that 3.4 motor. I even pull 40 mph going over Chinook pass loaded with camp gear and the trailer. The deer better know that I won't break or swerve if they run out in front of me I'll just duck! :redneck:

I have airbags and E rated tires on mine. I think the power will be fine. I can tow the Jeep over Chinook Pass and can't even tell I'm towing it. Just make sure you have a good brake controller. I am using a Tekonsha Prodigy P3. The brakes on the Tundra are huge, it stops on a dime. I would say to try and find the lightest camper you can. Also the 6 speed tranny with the man. mode is sweet. Make sure you get one with the towing package. Comes with tow mirrors, tranny cooler and heater. 4.30 gears and all the trailer wiring and the tow/haul button.

Mark

You bet, thanks for the imput guys! :beer:

Cool.. I'm glad people don't think I'm nuts. That truck does have alot of balls I really didn't think I'd have much issue there. I guess I am a little nuts though because I pull my wheeler right now with my 02 Tacoma on a 14' car trailer. The truck knows its back there but it pulls it just fine with that 3.4 motor. I even pull 40 mph going over Chinook pass loaded with camp gear and the trailer. The deer better know that I won't break or swerve if they run out in front of me I'll just duck! :redneck:

is you taco a auto or 5 speed ?

If that's what you are pulling with at the moment. Why would you even ask about a Tundra? It's gonna be 100x better than the Taco with 2x the weight! My Pops has a Tundra and pulls a 08' 28ft camper toy hauler all over the west coast. It does just fine. Tons of power and with the correct overload and hitch setup you are golden

If that's what you are pulling with at the moment. Why would you even ask about a Tundra? It's gonna be 100x better than the Taco with 2x the weight! My Pops has a Tundra and pulls a 08' 28ft camper toy hauler all over the west coast. It does just fine. Tons of power and with the correct overload and hitch setup you are golden

I not sure if you understood the question. I'm asking folks if I overload the truck with a fully contained camper and pull the wheeler how it does. I'm talking about putting a 2000lb + camper on a truck with a 1650 payload. I know the thing will pull just about anything! :rolleyes:

let us know what you decide. im looking at campers for my '08 tundra, but not much avail for the crewmax. may settle for a pop up.